Manipulating files

Got an interesting idea about a new scenario design? ...or maybe you just need some help with the Scenario Editor; this is the place!

Moderators: Run5 Staff, SSG Staff

Manipulating files

Postby Malak » Fri Apr 02, 2010 6:45 am

All right, I am a bit puzzle here.

I have created a new scenario from scratch that has a size bigger than the existing Kharkov map. Then, to add objectives, I am copy the file named objectives.ags from the Kharkov scenario to the folder of the new scenario.

Relaunching the game, objectives are seen in the new scenario. Great. Then with the editor, I have changed the location of each of the objectives.

Selecting the objectives on the right corner in the editor, the right new hex is selected. Right clicking on it, the objective is there. But, in the graphical display of the map, the objective's names still have the old location.

Is there a cache I must remove?

By the way, what is the role of the battleData.ags file?

Cheers
Malak
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby Abwehr » Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:35 pm

You might need to "refresh" the editor for the names to appear in the correct places for named objectives. Of course, if the name is part of the map it won't work, but that's no problem for a new scenario.
Abwehr
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Malak » Sat Apr 03, 2010 4:27 am

Thanks Abwehr. I tried that yesterday night but it does not work. I even replace the objectives.ags by the initial file.

In fact, I have just found. The map location of the names is not the same than the hex. location set for the objectives inside the editor.

So, after doing this file manipulation plus the hex. location change, you need to apply the Set Name button on each objectives to change their location. Then, Place Name button could be used for fine-tuning.

Thanks for your help anyway.
Malak
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby Abwehr » Sat Apr 03, 2010 10:09 pm

I've also been having trouble with some of the names on the map, as sometimes the names seem to change with the objectives and sometimes they don't. If what you're describing works, I'll finally be able to remove the errors/no longer functional triggers from the Fall Gelb map.
Abwehr
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Malak » Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:21 am

Fall Gelb for Kharkov/ATD2 engine, it is a dream for me.
Malak
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby Malak » Thu May 13, 2010 8:01 pm

Roger Keating wrote:1) No .. a map can never be changed once it is created, at least by the editor or by anyone other than myself. It is a tricky procedure and I have carried it out on accasion when the need arises. Market Garden was expanded when the original did not quite fit the scenario we were trying to get to. The problem is that once the map is resized basically all other elements have to be redone. The AI is generally useless and has to be thrown away. It really must be done early on in a sceanrio design and I would always listen to someone who wanted it done. As it takes several hours to do it would have to be a good reason but I can be approached.

All right, last file manipulation is requiring a little help from you Roger.

The size of the new Kharkop map is now (64, 85). Hex (1,1) of the old Kharkop map is now (7, 23) in the new one. I have verified these numbers twice...
Basically the bottom right of the old map is the same than the new one.

Could you please help insert some rows and columns in the terrain.ags file so that I could fill the remaining gaps? :oops:

Thanks in advance
Malak
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby Roger Keating » Fri May 14, 2010 9:28 am

I know that this seems like a cope out but it is the only way I have known this to really work. Can you send me a private message and I will then get you to send all the files and details to my personal email address.

This sort of work often requires a lot of chat and the forum is simply to slow. I check my emails x times a day where x usually exceeds 50. I can then translate the objectives correctly and more importantly the terrain, which is impossible without this proceedure.

At the end of this exercise you can then advise others of how it went.

Abwehr .. I am happy to do this for you so just give me a call.

It generally takes about several hours for each effort so I have to fit it into my schedule so please be precise about what you need for your scenario. Remember that programmers love precise.
Roger Keating
SSG

Return to Kharkov Scenario Design