Unit Picture Box - alternate uses.

Got an interesting idea about a new scenario design? ...or maybe you just need some help with the Scenario Editor; this is the place!

Moderators: Run5 Staff, SSG Staff

Unit Picture Box - alternate uses.

Postby pete AU » Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:09 pm

Currently the unit picture box holds a graphic representative of the unit it portrays. I would be interested to know if people prefer this to a number of alternate uses.

I had been trying so different things out for Iskra.
1. - a vintage photo of the type of unit
2. - a star rating system so units can be compared (the best unit in the game gets 10 stars - the worst 1 star and units in between are graded accordingly. Gold stars for combat, blue for art, red for support.
3. - text description - notable soldiers etc

any other ideas - or do you all prefer it left as is?
History is an argument without end
Projects - Iskra (available to download), Stalingrad Pocket (ver101 finished and available to download), Guadalcanal (map done), Guadalajara (playtesting - volounteers?), Napoleonic Borodino (volounteers?)
ImageImageImageImage Image Image
pete AU
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Noakesy » Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:11 pm

I'm a stickler for tradition, and have very much liked the way that SSG has used this box in the past (do you mean the one on the right hand side of the screen with a vehicle icon in it for example?). However, I loved the ones on Prokhorovka and the ones you have created in Konrad Pete, so gradually getting used to the differences. Do you have examples of the other ideas you are suggesting? :D
Image ImageImage
Noakesy
Colonel
Colonel

Postby pete AU » Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:42 pm

something like this

Projects - Iskra (available to download), Stalingrad Pocket (ver101 finished and available to download), Guadalcanal (map done), Guadalajara (playtesting - volounteers?), Napoleonic Borodino (volounteers?)
pete AU
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Abwehr » Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:08 pm

The vintage photo's are a good idea.

I think I'd prefer divisional emblems or insignia on the picture instead of stars. The stars can potentially be destracting and in the end it's all about attack/defence stats so people should really be checking those.

The HPS system of indicating unit quality with a letter is probably not suitable as the pictures in the icons are too small for that.

Edit: Yay, an edit function.

Noakesy: I'm still working on the Kharkov 1943 scenario, but still haven't been able to find the time to finish it. I estimate that after a few more hours in the editor it will be done. As said earlier, it's not too much work but it simply requires a lot of time in the editor, time which I haven't really been able to find in the last month or so.
Abwehr
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Celtibero » Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:14 pm

I also like the current SSG graphics. They are detailed, clear, and you can easily recognize what the unit was mainly composed of.

In the example Pete shows us, there are many things to like, but I also find some small problems:

- Choosen pictures are not simmetrical and proportional. Some units are facing to the right, others to the left.

- They are out of scale. The Tiger I looks smaller than the Marder.

- Even being a big tank fan, I find hard to recognize some of them given how small the pictures are.

- The star system is redudant. We already have a classification for units (Elite, Normal, etc.).

Don't get me wrong, these are small nitpicks. I just find the current system clearer than your proposal, though I also like it and find merits in it.
Celtibero
New Recruit

Postby Rook » Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:33 pm

pete AU wrote:something like this

I really like this option that you've shown. If you could combine the photo and perhaps an overlay of the historic unit commander's name then I would have to start worshipping you :lol: (how do you want me to decorate your alter?)
Rook
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby hank » Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:43 pm

I'm also a fan of black silhouettes, especially for predominantly equipment based units like armor, artillery, mechanized units, etc. (reminds me of the Army identification manuals)
Possibly something else could be used for infantry instead of the picture of little guys running around.

I used to edit all my pics (KP/BiN/BF) to add or tweek the images but I haven't done that for K:DotD. I probably will when AtD/Husky comes out. I used to typically put .50 cal. machine guns on the Shermans since that was one thing they had the Tigers and Panthers didn't. (plus, I'd have to relearn how to compile to xcr files)

Photo's are pretty good too. Also, pictures like the Volcano Man artwork in HPS PzC's is pretty nice.
hank
Major
Major

Postby Noakesy » Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:25 am

I think they look nice Pete, although I'd probably be dull and suggest it would be nice if the pictures were a uniform size and style.

Abwehr, seen your comment re Kharkov, don't worry I appreciate it's tons of work, will be waiting for a game once you're finished.
Image ImageImage
Noakesy
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Marcus the leper » Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:57 pm

I am a newer player here Pete and maybe my only complaint now and in the past regarding this series is the "cartoonish" look of the unit counters. I absolutely love what you have done! For such a serious, deep game, your counters do it justice!!
Marcus the leper
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Postby von Jaeger » Sat Mar 13, 2010 4:03 am

I'm with Marcus - I think they really good. I also like the star ratings.

S
Stuart 'von Jaeger' Hunt
A lifelong wargamer from carpet to table top to Squad Leader to Combat Mission and on...there's just not enough time!!!

'Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.'
Napoleon
von Jaeger
Private
Private

Postby Marcus the leper » Sat Mar 13, 2010 6:53 am

Pete, any chance that these might be available for download anytime soon?
Marcus the leper
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Postby pete AU » Sat Mar 13, 2010 8:11 am

Konrad will be out with the other ATD2 releases as it is optimised for the new engine. Iskra is almost ready for playtesting and could be done in a few months.
pete AU
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Marcus the leper » Sat Mar 13, 2010 11:48 pm

Good to hear Pete and thank you for the update. I am chomping at the bit for some new blood to be infused into this really wonderful engine!! One question; is it possible to replace the stock counters with what you have created or is it scenario specific? I would love to change the steps to something more realistic. Once again, thank you!
Marcus the leper
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Return to Kharkov Scenario Design