List of Scenarios in development

Got an interesting idea about a new scenario design? ...or maybe you just need some help with the Scenario Editor; this is the place!

Moderators: Run5 Staff, SSG Staff

Postby Noakesy » Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:38 am

Strax wrote:He's probably got all 3 right to be honest Critter.
Your honesty and something close to integrity has stunned me to the core :D :lol:
Image ImageImage
Noakesy
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Talos » Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:28 am

Talking about scenarios, finally working up the enthusiasum to build a map for the Causacas (boundaries will be the Black Sea in the west, Causacas Mountains and Turkey/Iran border in the south, Caspian Sea to the east and the Don/Volga to the north) after having finally done enough research on the OOB's for both sides for 42/43. So will probable be having some questions in the near future about this before i really get going.

Will probable be working in Photoshop or GIMP, though i guess i should stick to one piece of software and not try and combine (any pointers on this greatly received).
Talos
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby JSS » Sat Jan 16, 2010 6:49 pm

Malak wrote:Yes, I am asking myself these questions while editing the graphics. I was also thinking about playing with HQ bonus since they were also short of supply. :?

By the way, still on this topic, we have forgotten :
1. Kirovograd scenario from Chris Merchant
2. Kalach Bridge scenario from JSS

They seems still under play testing. :?:

Much like Chris mentioned last week, Kalach Bridge is being updated to the ATDII standard. Will release the update then.

Have also started a Pacific Island scenario (very early in development).
Current PBEM Games
1. Sealion (Air Parity) t11 out

JSS
Site Admin

Here's hoping!!

Postby von Jaeger » Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:16 am

Well, even if only 50% of these scenario's make it through the rigours of basic training, I shall be happy. Anyone gfancy doing Operation Mars - I just put in this request at the WITE forum, so I thought why not try here too!

Thanks for all your hard work - which one will be first do you think? Konrad?
Stuart 'von Jaeger' Hunt
A lifelong wargamer from carpet to table top to Squad Leader to Combat Mission and on...there's just not enough time!!!

'Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.'
Napoleon
von Jaeger
Private
Private

Postby pete AU » Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:36 am

Resisting the temptation to release early.

Every time we playtest some worthwhile improvements are made.

I think konrad is almost there for the primary scenario. I have 2 other subscenarios for this set that I can't start until the main game is signed off on. As a diversion I have started mapping the next Scenario as the Ai prgramming is, for me, less fun, more like work.

I have a complete map of army group north ops that I'm not yet using as the game would be too massive , but I learnt slot doing the map.
History is an argument without end
Projects - Iskra (available to download), Stalingrad Pocket (ver101 finished and available to download), Guadalcanal (map done), Guadalajara (playtesting - volounteers?), Napoleonic Borodino (volounteers?)
ImageImageImageImage Image Image
pete AU
Colonel
Colonel

Postby hank » Sun Feb 21, 2010 12:36 am

this is an out of the box idea for a scenario. I've been trying to sort out in my mind how it could be built with the K:DotD engine. Maybe it can't.

Guadalcanal

BF had Saipan as a scenario that was really fun to play IMHO. I know it was really meant to be a training excercise but it was fun nevertheless.

Saipan is ~115 sq/Km

Guadalcanal is ~5336 sq/Km ... much larger than Saipan and even with the difference in game scales (BF vs K:DotD), Guadalcanal would be a good size map.

Okinawa Island group is ~1200 sq/Km

The problem that keeps cropping in my head is how to model the naval and air battles well enough to capture the essence of these battles.

Guadalcanal in particular had some of the most fierce surface engagements of all WWII naval battles.

Just a thought ... plus, I'm not a scenario builder so this is really just a pipe dream :wink:
hank
Major
Major

Postby pete AU » Sun Feb 21, 2010 1:47 am

I have been mulling this over for a while too. Its such a long battle with small units in jungle terrain that it will be a real challange to do nicely. I think the interesting bit wil be modding the game to allow different periods of naval superiority.

This battle had alot of casualties from disease rather than combat - I was wondering how to mod that too.

I think I'd plan all the Naval and air effects along a historical timeline and just make the land campaign playable in the 1st instance. As the Japs and Yanks alternate Coastal bombardment effects I think I'd have to have ships arrive as reinforcements then be withdrawn as the other side gets superiority.

Triyng to model ship vs ship combat could be done - but You'd need a massive map full of ocean hexes. I don't think that would necessarily make for a fun game - but i have an idea to make it work.

I have a usable OOB, A map plan about the size of the Kharkov map and have mapped out the relative unit strengths so I could knock it up in a few months. However, its a few games down the development list at the moment.

Konrad took 4 months, Iskra will take about the same, Berlin about 4 months - so I guess it will next year before I look at it.

All I can say is if no one else does it - eventually I will.
Projects - Iskra (available to download), Stalingrad Pocket (ver101 finished and available to download), Guadalcanal (map done), Guadalajara (playtesting - volounteers?), Napoleonic Borodino (volounteers?)
pete AU
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Abwehr » Sun Feb 21, 2010 2:35 am

You mean Konrad took 4 months to design Pete? We've been testing it since November or so.

As to disease: you could create a US disease and Japanese disease country and give them some artillery pieces and air strikes that can strike the entire map from an off-map area. Each side will control these disease units. There's a good chance they'll be used to finish off weakened units, which isn't all that unrealistic as units that have already taken casualties would be far more vulnerable than units in prepared positions in the rear. The players deciding which units are effected might not be entirely realistic, but until SSG gives us neutral countries to play with, that's probably the best we can do. It would be random enough as different units would be targeted every time.

You could also place hostile anti-disease units in that area which can kill some of the disease artillery for a turn (the artillery will have unlimited lives, but it'll give your guys a break for a turn).
Abwehr
Colonel
Colonel

Postby pete AU » Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:09 pm

I finished the map on the 30th Sept 09 - that took 2 weeks.

We've just finished it now. So 4 months including playtesting.
pete AU
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Graf Starhemberg » Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:15 am

Pete,
can you give a hint when Konrad will be released to the cheering crowd?
Graf Starhemberg
Major
Major

Postby pete AU » Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:00 am

Should go out with ATD2 or Husky2.
pete AU
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Graf Starhemberg » Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:21 pm

pete AU wrote:Should go out with ATD2 or Husky2.

A very cryptic hint, but I think I understand :wink:
Graf Starhemberg
Major
Major

Postby Rook » Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:28 pm

pete AU wrote:This battle had alot of casualties from disease rather than combat - I was wondering how to mod that too.

Would the "evolve unit" option fit the bill for this?
Rook
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby Rook » Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:41 pm

After thinking some more concerning Guadalcanal, I would have to say that Battlefront might be better suited than the Kharkov platform.

IMHO, the scale that Kharkov provides would be too great and skew the scenario.
Rook
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby Abwehr » Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:12 am

Scale is a matter of changing the units in the editor and creating a map with a smaller scale. If you want 4 step battalions like in Battlefront, you can create 4 step battalions like in Battlefront.

Scale isn't hard coded, it's up to the designer.
Abwehr
Colonel
Colonel

PreviousNext

Return to Kharkov Scenario Design