List of Scenarios in development

Got an interesting idea about a new scenario design? ...or maybe you just need some help with the Scenario Editor; this is the place!

Moderators: Run5 Staff, SSG Staff

List of Scenarios in development

Postby silviomelo » Sat Jan 09, 2010 5:13 am

Someone suggested on some other topic and I will suggest here again. Let's create a list of scenarios in development and what status that is the same. Periodically this list could be updated.

Greetings
silviomelo
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Postby Abwehr » Sat Jan 09, 2010 7:00 am

Pete AU's Konrad scenario has been in the playtesting stage since late November. He's currently checking the balance of play and optimizing the German AI, I believe.

In theory, Pete AU might also still be working on his Army Group North scenario for which his Shimsk scenario was a sampler, although his attention seems to be mostly focussed on Konrad, the second project after Shimsk.

laska2k4 has released a Gothic Ride scenario, but it's more or less still in beta and needs some finetuning I'd say.

Other than that, we've had a few people mention they were working on something but they all dropped off the grid.
Abwehr
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Malak » Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:06 am

On my side, I am working on four scenarios using Kharkov map:
1. One scenario on operation Wilhelm and Fridericus II. Currently, I am testing AO and AI playing computer against computer.

2. One scenario on the 3rd battle for Kharkov
The map is done by adding some snow on it (see thread http://www.ssg.com.au/forums/viewtopic. ... sc&start=0)
The OOB is ready but surely must be adapt for game balance.
AO and AI is just started so yet to be done.

3. One scenario on operation Citadelle (south wing)
4. One scenario on operation Rumyantsev (4th and last battle for Kharkov)
For the two last one, I am working on the Kharkov map to add all the cities from Belgorod to Oboïan. This is the most difficult part so far since I am not very familiar with painting landscape.
Other than that, I have complete my book research for OOB, etc...

Of course, since it is taking time, it won't be release very soon. Just be sure that, if I am giving up, I will let you know.

Cheers
Malak
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby Abwehr » Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:33 am

I didn't know you were still working on that 3rd Battle of Kharkov scenario.

I'd really like a remake of the Kharkov 1943 for BiI in the Kharkov: DotD engine, but that's just a dream for now.

One of the main problems with making a Star/Gallop scenario centered on Kharkov is that both sides and especially the Soviets were woefully understrength by the time the German counteroffensive began. Mobile Group Popov wasn't lavishly equipped at the start of the offensive to begin with, but it was virtually out of working tanks in late February. Likewise, many Rifle divisions had 4000 men or even around 2000 men. Similarly, the SS only had about half of maximum authorized strength. The only German force that got its act together was Luftflotte 4, which creamed the BBC/VVS in February.

The BiI scenario, at least from my perspective, did this by making the unit strength relative to eachother so instead of both sides fighting with 2 step units, they could fight with "regular" strength units because both sides were understrength.
Abwehr
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Malak » Sun Jan 10, 2010 8:11 am

Yes, I am asking myself these questions while editing the graphics. I was also thinking about playing with HQ bonus since they were also short of supply. :?

By the way, still on this topic, we have forgotten :
1. Kirovograd scenario from Chris Merchant
2. Kalach Bridge scenario from JSS

They seems still under play testing. :?:
Malak
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby Abwehr » Sun Jan 10, 2010 12:18 pm

They are more or less released, though, and more playable than Gothic Ride, which is still clearly a beta.
Abwehr
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Chris Merchant » Sun Jan 10, 2010 2:22 pm

just a note on Kirovograd - I haven't forgotten it - I'll be updating it to the latest version of the engine when ATDII is released and will address some of the issues and comments at that time.

cheers
Chris Merchant
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby Noakesy » Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:34 am

Chris Merchant wrote:just a note on Kirovograd - I haven't forgotten it - I'll be updating it to the latest version of the engine when ATDII is released and will address some of the issues and comments at that time.
cheers

I thought it was a nice game, especially as I beat the immoral, uncouth and uncivilised strax my :wink: only problem was the truly vast number of casualties, but I think that's a feature of Kharkov generally. :D
Image ImageImage
Noakesy
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Abwehr » Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:37 pm

That's one of the things that worries me: the number of direct fire (defensive and offensive) and indirect fire/strikes (artillery and air) casualties. We've seen mostly short to medium length scenarios thus far, but even in the stock Kharkov scenario, the fighting can quickly become much deadlier than it was in real life. It's even possible to wipe most of either the German or Soviet force off the map.

I've been playing the Kharkov 1943 scenario for BiI a lot lately, and I don't even want to know what the amount of artillery present would do in the Kharkov engine in the 49 turns the scenario lasts.
Abwehr
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Gregor Whiley » Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:39 pm

Abwehr wrote:That's one of the things that worries me: the number of direct fire (defensive and offensive) and indirect fire/strikes (artillery and air) casualties. We've seen mostly short to medium length scenarios thus far, but even in the stock Kharkov scenario, the fighting can quickly become much deadlier than it was in real life. It's even possible to wipe most of either the German or Soviet force off the map.

I've been playing the Kharkov 1943 scenario for BiI a lot lately, and I don't even want to know what the amount of artillery present would do in the Kharkov engine in the 49 turns the scenario lasts.

The lethality of artillery is directly in the control of the scenario designer. Yo can change its chance to hit, the number of attacks allowed on a single hex in a turn, the resupply rate of the guns and so on, so it shouldn't pose any insuperable problems.

Gregor
Gregor Whiley
Vice President, SSG
www.ssg.com.au
Gregor Whiley
SSG

Postby critter » Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:12 pm

Noakesy wrote:
Chris Merchant wrote:just a note on Kirovograd - I haven't forgotten it - I'll be updating it to the latest version of the engine when ATDII is released and will address some of the issues and comments at that time.
cheers

I thought it was a nice game, especially as I beat the immoral, uncouth and uncivilised strax my :wink: only problem was the truly vast number of casualties, but I think that's a feature of Kharkov generally. :D

Hear..Hear...I'm also playing Mr Strax..
Other than over running and slaughtering my Americans in TAO, and then sitting on his lead while I try to take back the ardennes...He is a fine fellow..
I'd say 2 out of your 3 discriptions are way out of line...
critter
Major
Major

Postby Noakesy » Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:15 pm

critter wrote: I'd say 2 out of your 3 discriptions are way out of line...

:? ok, so which one was right then :wink: :D
Image ImageImage
Noakesy
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Abwehr » Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:55 pm

The lethality of artillery is directly in the control of the scenario designer. Yo can change its chance to hit, the number of attacks allowed on a single hex in a turn, the resupply rate of the guns and so on, so it shouldn't pose any insuperable problems.

The problem is that many scenarios have hexes that give significant indirect fire modifiers which can make lighter artillery more or less useless.

The Soviet 76.2mm artillery in the stock Kharkov scenario quickly becomes more or less useless in the north, as they have a snowball's chance in hell of hitting entrenched defenders in clear terrain, not to mention in woods or urban areas.

In a remake of Kharkov 1943, the Soviet artillery would still be pretty mediocre and require a 4 or 5 to hit, maybe a 2 or 3 for some of the Guards Rocket units and the few heavy artillery units. It's not likely that they'll influence the battle to the same extent as in the BiI version. The Germans, on the other hand, would only need to roll 3 or 4's on unentrenched enemies. I imagine the German player would direct most of his artillery against the armoured spearheads, and mop up the Rifle divisions with his own quality units.

In a remake of the stock BiI scenarios, throwing the Germans out of their mountain strongholds will be tricky if the Allies require 5-5 or 6-6 rolls on everything.
Abwehr
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Strax » Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:39 pm

Noakesy wrote:
cheers

I'd forgotten about that, Yes, it was bloody.
Strax
Major
Major

Postby Strax » Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:42 pm

critter wrote: I'd say 2 out of your 3 discriptions are way out of line...

He's probably got all 3 right to be honest Critter.
Strax
Major
Major

Next

Return to Kharkov Scenario Design