Recon Bonus

Got an interesting idea about a new scenario design? ...or maybe you just need some help with the Scenario Editor; this is the place!

Moderators: Run5 Staff, SSG Staff

Recon Bonus

Postby pete AU » Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:02 pm

Anyone know if this works? Ive tried dialling the recon bonus up to 8 hexes but still only uncovering units at 1 hex range even in clear terrain with no hidden bonus.
History is an argument without end
Projects - Iskra (available to download), Stalingrad Pocket (ver101 finished and available to download), Guadalcanal (map done), Guadalajara (playtesting - volounteers?), Napoleonic Borodino (volounteers?)
ImageImageImageImage Image Image
pete AU
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Talos » Thu Dec 17, 2009 5:21 am

Are the unit entrenched as that seems to make a big difference in Kharkov? The German recon units can see things further way in Kharkov but only if the Soviet units are un-entrenched.
"There is only one decisive victory: the last." (Karl von Clausewitz)
3: OTP Axis v JSS
4: Open

ImageImageImage ImageImageImage
Talos
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby pete AU » Thu Dec 17, 2009 8:08 am

no, this is for a scenario im doing - can't seem to get the feature to work.
Projects - Iskra (available to download), Stalingrad Pocket (ver101 finished and available to download), Guadalcanal (map done), Guadalajara (playtesting - volounteers?), Napoleonic Borodino (volounteers?)
pete AU
Colonel
Colonel

Re: Recon Bonus

Postby Gregor Whiley » Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:56 am

pete AU wrote:Anyone know if this works? Ive tried dialling the recon bonus up to 8 hexes but still only uncovering units at 1 hex range even in clear terrain with no hidden bonus.

Whenever I can't work something out, I go and look at the Kharkov scenario, operating on the thesis that, like the Pope, Ian is infallible (but only when speaking ex cathedra on matters of doctrine).

As far as I can work out, visibility is the result of the interaction of four factors:

Hidden Range - this is the default distance, defined for both good and bad Air, in the Side Data under Country and Side Data. In Kharkov the Germans see combat units as Nationality at 2 hexes and Hidden at 3 in Good Air.

Terrain Modifier - can reduce the range at which units become Nationality/Hidden. In Kharkov, for example, Woods have a hidden bonus of -2 hexes. This is set under Terrain Data for each terrain type.

Recon Bonus - can increase the range at which units become Nationality/Hidden. This is only available for Combat Units in Edit Combat.

Entrenchment Effect - can reduce the range at which units become Nationality/Hidden. This is found in Entrenchment Rules for a Side under Country and Side Data. So for Germany in Kharkov it is -3 hexes.

I hope this helps. If not, we will have to apply to a higher power than me for guidance.

Gregor
Gregor Whiley
Vice President, SSG
www.ssg.com.au
Gregor Whiley
SSG

Postby pete AU » Thu Dec 17, 2009 11:06 am

Ah - I think the problem is the scroll down that indicates 'never hidden' should perhaps be 'always hidden' since when left as 'never hidden' no matter what the scout bonus they are picked up at 2 hex range. If you select a range it works OK.
pete AU
Colonel
Colonel

Return to Kharkov Scenario Design