Terrain height

Got an interesting idea about a new scenario design? ...or maybe you just need some help with the Scenario Editor; this is the place!

Moderators: Run5 Staff, SSG Staff

Terrain height

Postby pete AU » Tue Dec 08, 2009 6:42 pm

I see this feature is still in the editor.

While it does allow you to specify the height of terrain I can't see that this has any effect on game play (Ie benefit for height advantage) unless its a non editable function.

Can anyone tell me if adding height to features has any effect?

Pete
History is an argument without end
Projects - Iskra (available to download), Stalingrad Pocket (ver101 finished and available to download), Guadalcanal (map done), Guadalajara (playtesting - volounteers?), Napoleonic Borodino (volounteers?)
ImageImageImageImage Image Image
pete AU
Colonel
Colonel

Re: Terrain height

Postby JSS » Tue Dec 08, 2009 10:58 pm

pete AU wrote:
...Can anyone tell me if adding height to features has any effect?

Haven't looked at this for Kharkov; good question. As I recall in BF there was an attack/defend factor hard coded in (not 100% sure when this was relevant though).

Will leave this one to Roger.

Marty
JSS
Site Admin

Postby Joe » Wed Dec 09, 2009 7:04 am

Fire up Battlefront and play the Gazala scenario.

Use the options to show and hide the height display.

Height stops indirect fire of armour units v armour units.

Movement is stopped across a change in height

for combat, a change in height gives a big advantage to the defender.

-
Joe
Colonel
Colonel

Postby pete AU » Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:59 pm

As far as I can tell height confers no advantages in Kharkov scenarios. I have added different height to scenarios with no effect as far as I can tell. Perhaps there is another function in the editor to apply penalties - but I can't find it.

Pete
Projects - Iskra (available to download), Stalingrad Pocket (ver101 finished and available to download), Guadalcanal (map done), Guadalajara (playtesting - volounteers?), Napoleonic Borodino (volounteers?)
pete AU
Colonel
Colonel

Postby von Jaeger » Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:26 pm

Pete

I'm no editor, but could you not alter the CRT and Retreat table for hills, to give the defender a height advantage? I know they haven't done this for the main scenario, but the option is there, I think.

Stuart
Stuart 'von Jaeger' Hunt
A lifelong wargamer from carpet to table top to Squad Leader to Combat Mission and on...there's just not enough time!!!

'Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.'
Napoleon
von Jaeger
Private
Private

Postby pete AU » Sat Dec 12, 2009 2:22 pm

The advantage of the specific hill application is attack from lower to higher elevation. The only real work around is to use cliff hex sides to define hills - however, the system only provides one editable non-river hexside option so if you have a number of different hexside features you have to have the same penalty for all (which is usually not appropriate).
pete AU
Colonel
Colonel

Postby albertdeny » Wed Jul 21, 2010 5:13 pm

I think I can use the Web service that you've done for now - Thank you for this, incidentally.

I'm always curious to know how Virtual Earth (3D) control card receives the elevation data itself? Are there other good sources for these data, I can use? I experimented with the service shown above, but found that parts of the world does not seem to register. For example, I checked the location of the summit of Everest and has a height of zero meters.
albertdeny
Private
Private

Return to Kharkov Scenario Design