Budapest 1945 - Konrad

Got an interesting idea about a new scenario design? ...or maybe you just need some help with the Scenario Editor; this is the place!

Moderators: Run5 Staff, SSG Staff

Postby Noakesy » Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:00 pm

kondor999 wrote:Personally, if a wargame came with a printed manual and maps (that were decent quality), I'd happily pay $100 for it. I believe that would easily cover the cost of materials and allow a greater profit for each unit sold.

:shock: erm, you did say you were a physician right :wink: :D I've said previously that if SSG were to up-grade older games to Kharkov system that I would pay for them (KP would be my request, but I believe there are problems with scale and so on that make this difficult, but the AO system for Korsun Pocket would be just perfect).

Maybe you're right, SSG does operate in a different market to the FPS type games, although I'm not sure in the current economic climate that price increases would necessarily be a good strategy. People have come on this forum lately to question the prices still being charged for the older titles.
Image ImageImage
Noakesy
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Abwehr » Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:39 pm

People have come on this forum lately to question the prices still being charged for the older titles.

I was surprised when I checked the Matrix store to see that prices have lowered a bit, although it's kind of weird that BiI, BiN, BF and Kharkov: DotD all cost 24 euro's for Digital Download now.

You can get a pretty cheap copy of ATD, though, just in case anyone wants to grab the title to prepare for ATD2/get a discount when ATD comes out.
Abwehr
Colonel
Colonel

Postby kondor999 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:27 pm

Noakesy wrote:
kondor999 wrote:Personally, if a wargame came with a printed manual and maps (that were decent quality), I'd happily pay $100 for it. I believe that would easily cover the cost of materials and allow a greater profit for each unit sold.

:shock: erm, you did say you were a physician right :wink: :D I've said previously that if SSG were to up-grade older games to Kharkov system that I would pay for them (KP would be my request, but I believe there are problems with scale and so on that make this difficult, but the AO system for Korsun Pocket would be just perfect).

Maybe you're right, SSG does operate in a different market to the FPS type games, although I'm not sure in the current economic climate that price increases would necessarily be a good strategy. People have come on this forum lately to question the prices still being charged for the older titles.

I hear you, and I forgot to mention I'm a *military* doc, so I don't make crap compared to civilians. But, I clearly recall paying $70 for SSI wargames (Reforger 88 ) back in 1985. That's well over $100 in today's money and it didn't seem to kill sales back then.

I can only speak for myself when I say that I'd pay way more for a wargame than they currently charge, especially with good printed materials. I just did that with War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition. They charged $80 but included a 300 page (invaluable) manual. By the way - they sure fixed that game. What an amazing piece of work.

As far as the cheapskates wanting cheap older titles - I have to ask why? These are not FPS's which live and die based on their graphics - and so depreciate quickly as standards advance. As an example, I still play Stalingrad (using DOSBox) by Avalon Hill (World at War/Atomic games) and it's still a great game. But compare that experience to playing a FPS (or whatever) from the same time period (1995)- it's so bad you wouldn't even bother.

My copy of Stalingrad (with nice printed manual, terrain chart and map) is still worth at least $50 to me. A copy of Duke Nukem 3D from the same time? I wouldn't pay once cent - not with Crysis around.
kondor999
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

You work for ssg?

Postby critter » Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:24 pm

No doubt the SSG games keep their value. Besides being great games they are about the closest thing to board games as they get. I think that's what keeps their fan base loyal. We grew up pushing counters not highlighting groups of units like RT games.
Maybe you should ease off the we ought to spend more money, and play a few of the players around here. If your that determined to spend your money..sponser a tournement, or buy some games and give them to your nephews so our hobby grows.
I've played guys (including me) on here that can only play on certain days because the family shares 1 computer... Imagine that?
I agree with Stalingrad. I LOVE that game. But somehow I can't get it to run. Headed to a friend who is an IT whiz this weekend. He's supposed to set up Dos Box and Slo mo so my puter will run them..
critter
Major
Major

Postby von Jaeger » Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:21 am

Pete

Does your postponement of the Napoleonic Kharkov because of 'other projects' mean that Konrad is close? Sorry if this seems like I'm hassling you, but well....I am! :wink: Only cos it look so good and all.

I need a new game!

Cheers
Stuart
Stuart 'von Jaeger' Hunt
A lifelong wargamer from carpet to table top to Squad Leader to Combat Mission and on...there's just not enough time!!!

'Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.'
Napoleon
von Jaeger
Private
Private

Postby pete AU » Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:00 am

All a matter of priorities.

I have a bit on at the moment business wise. However, konrad is done and will be out with ATD2 and the other new releases.

I have got Operation Iskra to playtest level too and am starting the Operation Shoostring map. Nap Kharkov is finished - but raw and I just dont have time to play the turns and do the other stuff.

There arnt enough people familiar with the editor willing to test Nap Kharkov that I can pass it to others to clean up - as its the least popular project, I shelved it for now.
History is an argument without end
Projects - Iskra (available to download), Stalingrad Pocket (ver101 finished and available to download), Guadalcanal (map done), Guadalajara (playtesting - volounteers?), Napoleonic Borodino (volounteers?)
ImageImageImageImage Image Image
pete AU
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Abwehr » Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:01 pm

There arnt enough people familiar with the editor willing to test Nap Kharkov that I can pass it to others to clean up - as its the least popular project, I shelved it for now.

If you tell me what the scenario should be like, I'd be more than happy to clean up the editor for you. The reason I've been silent on Napoleonic Kharkov thus far is that I thought you were still in the phase where you needed Napoleonic history buffs to help you with the OOB and the like.

Also: did my last e-mail about Iskra disappear into the void?
Abwehr
Colonel
Colonel

Postby pete AU » Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:13 pm

I don't know mate.

My last mail to you was - what side would you like to kick off with.
Projects - Iskra (available to download), Stalingrad Pocket (ver101 finished and available to download), Guadalcanal (map done), Guadalajara (playtesting - volounteers?), Napoleonic Borodino (volounteers?)
pete AU
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Abwehr » Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:06 am

OK, in that case my reply to that might've gone missing:

" I'd like to play as the Germans, to test my theory on whether the lack of AO's could unbalance the scenario or not.

Are you sure the version you uploaded is fully playable, with some HQ's not being functional?"
Abwehr
Colonel
Colonel

Postby pete AU » Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:15 am

Just copy any of the german HQ stats into the HQ's missing stats and we'll be fine - I'll update the master for any other changes we make in the playtest.

I'll send the first turn soon
pete AU
Colonel
Colonel

Postby jjdenver » Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:34 pm

Hi,

I have brief feedback on the Konrad scenario.

First let me say thanks(!!) for creating the scenario. It looks really interesting.

My feedback is that the map looks like it is behind dark colored glass. It's not very appealing because there is some sort of dark patina over the map. A brighter map - even if only the clear snowy hexes - would be I think much more appealing to look at. My first impression when I loaded the scenario was - why is the map so dark? It's sort of tough to look at.

Sorry if this seems like negative feedback. I'm not complaining, just trying to give constructive input. :)

Thanks again!
jjdenver
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby pete AU » Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:34 am

There is a 0% chance I will redo the map.
pete AU
Colonel
Colonel

Postby ChrisC » Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:01 am

I noticed something odd about the status of some units. For example the 8th Panzer Division is an elite unit except for I/80 Art Regiment. As for the 8th SS CavDiv, the reckon unit and engineer unit is elite while the other units are not. Is that intentional?

Actually, the map expecially looks really nice to me! Cannot wait to play this scenario...
ChrisC
Private
Private

Postby pete AU » Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:12 am

The unit status is correct. I was able to drill down into individual unit morale and training from the texts and resources I have on the battle. An elite unit is either fanatical or veteran or both, poor units are either poorly trained, recently reinforced with green troops to a high % or demoralized. There are other factors at play, but I did not want to give a generic representation, rather, be as accurate as possible.
pete AU
Colonel
Colonel

Postby pete AU » Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:38 am

The SS Cavalry divisions were composed largely of 'new' Germans and were more used to anti partisan warfare and ceremonial duties. They were good troops, but not elite as you may have come to expect from the depition of SS units in other SSG titles and certainly not expecing to fight in built up areas. Note also, soviet Guards units are not necessarily elite because they are guards - they may get a better turn around in troops and equipment, but I have used the factors previously mentioned to determine elite status.

The SS cavalry comprised Germans, press-ganged French Alsations, Hungarians, Serbs, slovaks, Romanians, Finnish, Flemish, Swedish and Spanish. Some of the units present had artillery detachments comprised entirely of Poles (you can guess how willing they were to fight) Indeed some poles fought with their own uniform under the german one! It all makes facinating reading - but trust me, alot has gone into getting the unit depicions correct - its a real mixed bag, but thats the way it was.
pete AU
Colonel
Colonel

PreviousNext

Return to Kharkov Scenario Design