Shimsk v0.91 beta download

Got an interesting idea about a new scenario design? ...or maybe you just need some help with the Scenario Editor; this is the place!

Moderators: Run5 Staff, SSG Staff

Shimsk v0.91 beta download

Postby pete AU » Sun Sep 06, 2009 8:17 pm

Hi all

Shimsk is a sampler of a series of scenarios around Army Group North including a 50 turn campaign.

The idea of this scenario (Shimsk) was to create a template for the larger games to develop a good formula for the larger scenarios and campaign.

I'm interested in feedback on the CRT's, special attacks, integrity bonus, counter design, interdiction effects, movement effects and the AI.

The map is less complex than a standard SSG map - but will be comfortable for those used to board wargaming.

The units in this scenario are those that may have taken part in the battle around Shimsk/Soltsy. Some units - like the Soviet HQ units have been included to show how the HQ's relate to the units in the OOB and their designation should not be taken as literal in this scenario.

The scale is 5 miles/hex so consider that artillery range is 1 hex and integrity radius is 1-3 hexes. This places a campaign as 125 X 125hex size map.

please place any feedback here or message if you like.

heres the link

http://rapidshare.com/files/276321319/Shimsk_v0.91.zip
History is an argument without end
Projects - Iskra (available to download), Stalingrad Pocket (ver101 finished and available to download), Guadalcanal (map done), Guadalajara (playtesting - volounteers?), Napoleonic Borodino (volounteers?)
ImageImageImageImage Image Image
pete AU
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Abwehr » Mon Sep 07, 2009 8:01 pm

Interesting scenario, sort of the battle of Soltsy on a smaller map.

I had no trouble with blowing through the Soviet defences as the Germans, as almost every attack I could make resulted in the Soviets taking heavy losses, often being overran in the process. I ended up with some 450 points, whilst still playing fairly conservatively.

The Soviets units in the south of the map, which are probably supposed to cut me off, didn't really do anything. You might want to give them the objective of either assaulting the German supply base or cutting them off, so the Germans have to keep a small rearguard in place.

The Germans are real killers though. The average German unit having an attack strength of between 30 and 40, and the Panzers having an attack strength of 73 with divisional bonus, about 7 times as much as the best Soviet unit.

I'll try to see whether I can stop the German AI as the Soviets now.

Edit: The German AI can also be stopped, as it tends to move in two or three big stacks, which are fairly easy to encircle. A few surrender results will cause the Germans enough harm to destroy them, especially if not entrenched. I ended up losing only the three Soviet units closest to the Germans, which are doomed to die, and the three HQ units which are insta-killed.

In both cases, most of my support asset attacks missed, as seems to be the rule whenever I'm playing.

Perhaps air strikes should always show up in good weather.
Abwehr
Colonel
Colonel

Postby pete AU » Tue Sep 08, 2009 12:04 pm

As always, thanks for the feedback Ab.

The AI is probably the hardest thing to get right, but I will be having another crack at it. The problem here is I only have one HQ - so the Germans tend to go together. If I change them from assault to probe they spread out a bit better - but they get picked off too easily.

This scenario shines as a pbem - try it solitaire and see how it plays out.

The relative unit strengths are right for this period (IMHO) - but the soviets will have the numbers to hold the Germans out of Shimsk.

I toyed with the idea of using Soviet division counters and Axis regimental - but stacking would be different for each side - and this is not my prefered option.

The CRT is harder to get an overrun than Kharkov - and rarely assured.
Projects - Iskra (available to download), Stalingrad Pocket (ver101 finished and available to download), Guadalcanal (map done), Guadalajara (playtesting - volounteers?), Napoleonic Borodino (volounteers?)
pete AU
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Noakesy » Tue Sep 08, 2009 4:56 pm

I just played it H2H on my own (if you know what I mean), and found that at the end it was a winning draw for Fritz after looking like he would win quite easily for a while. Certainly found very few over-runs, although I did get spectacularly lucky dice for the Germans which really can swing such a small scenario.
Image ImageImage
Noakesy
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Abwehr » Tue Sep 08, 2009 7:07 pm

There are few overruns on normal attacks, with slightly improved odds if the special is used.

However, even low odds attacks can be fairly damaging if done right, and the Germans are very powerful. The Germans are fighting units with an attack strength that can go as low as 4.

The scenario requires some thought on how units should be knocked around (if the player tries to get retreat results, which he should) to make sure the same unit/stack can be attacked more than once each turn.

I've yet to see the AI encircle the "doomed" Soviet stack, even though I try to do that on the first turn, as an overrun result is preferable over simply beating the stack around through the countryside.

You might also want to lower the air interdiction radius by 1 as itcurrently basically makes it impossible to move anything to the frontline for the Soviets if placed in the right spot.
Abwehr
Colonel
Colonel

Postby pete AU » Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:01 pm

Yes - The doomed soviet stack. I can't get the AI to commit to taking it - even if I make its hex a prime target. I think there is a built in bias towards VP locations when the division is set to assault.

I will reduce interdiction in a future update.

AGN Update:
I have completed 1 of 5 map segments. Each segment is around 35x55 hexes and needs to be pasted into the screendump individually. The maps use so many layers they slow photoshop down on large maps.
pete AU
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Abwehr » Wed Sep 09, 2009 4:26 am

Before I forget: I appreciate your work on new scenarios, as I can thus far only edit them and lack the virtual drawing skills to make high quality maps, which means editing will be all I'll be doing for a while.

As to the doomed Soviet stack: the German AI does attack and destroy it, at least it always did so. It doesn't, however, encircle it. It just moves a few units there to beat them out of the hex and destroys the remaining units afterwards.

Now that I think about it, I can't recall any instance where the AI encircled a stack unless it could place more than 1 unit in each surrounding hex and was basically swarming all over the unit to begin with.
Abwehr
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Roger Keating » Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:17 am

The AI attempts to reach the AI combat ok odds in the best manner.

For exampe, if the odds in the combat table are 8-1 then the computer will calcualate all possible units that can move to the combat and let's say it gets a 20-1 .. it knows it can succeed at the 8-1 so it proceeds. Each unit it moves next to the enemy it checks the actual combat again, adding in units one by one (in case all the units were mext to the target unit to start with) until it gets the magic 8-1. It will attempt to use hexes which will give it the green shift if no other active unit (one that will be selected) is in there.

Once the 8-1 figure is meet it conducts the combat. It doesn't worry about the odds at all at this stage. A human player may be able to see that by adding 1 point would give it a 20-1 or surround it but the computer does not go into this level of detail.

There are a number of other things the computer does do however, artillery, air strikes and combat engineers are but a few of these. Anything that could lower the odds to its benefit.

That is a simple breakdown of the AI combat routines. I can expand on these if you have any questions.
Roger Keating
SSG

Postby pete AU » Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:53 am

I would like to say, although the AI is easy to set up once you know what you are doing, there are a multitude of variables that are easily overlooked - and not all of these are in the AI section of the editor, however, if you think about what you want the AI to do, you can usually find where in the editor its done (if you get my meaning)

It is a credit to SSG that we have so much control over the variables, its like being given the keys to the game engine without the programming.
pete AU
Colonel
Colonel

Return to Kharkov Scenario Design