Detail of Shimsk - small scenario

Got an interesting idea about a new scenario design? ...or maybe you just need some help with the Scenario Editor; this is the place!

Moderators: Run5 Staff, SSG Staff

Detail of Shimsk - small scenario

Postby pete AU » Wed Aug 12, 2009 4:57 am

Heres the finished map of my 1st scenario for Kharkov.
The game will be centred on action around Shimsk in July 1941 and will have about 15 units per side.

History is an argument without end
Projects - Iskra (available to download), Stalingrad Pocket (ver101 finished and available to download), Guadalcanal (map done), Guadalajara (playtesting - volounteers?), Napoleonic Borodino (volounteers?)
ImageImageImageImage Image Image
pete AU
Colonel
Colonel

Postby pete AU » Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:30 pm

The task I set for myself here was to do a map in SSG style. In the past Robjess has done maps for me (you still here Rob) or I have lashed up maps using free software - even google earth for Case White.

This one was done in a few hours using Corel Painter Essentials 4 and Photoshop 6. The tracing functions on the software make road and river placement a breeze.

I haven't worked out railway tracks to my satisfaction - but the rest fits in with current user expectations.
Projects - Iskra (available to download), Stalingrad Pocket (ver101 finished and available to download), Guadalcanal (map done), Guadalajara (playtesting - volounteers?), Napoleonic Borodino (volounteers?)
pete AU
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Talos » Wed Aug 12, 2009 11:14 pm

Looks good.

I might come back to you and pick your brains about how you did the map as I am currently in the process of gathering data, if i get to the stage of where i have most of it, next job will be the map and would appreciate all the help I can get.

Rob is still about, and puts in an appearance every so often (he was last on not that long go to try and sort out the scenario download page with the latest versions)
Talos
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby pete AU » Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:06 am

No probs - happy to help.
pete AU
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Malak » Sat Aug 15, 2009 6:32 pm

pete AU wrote:This one was done in a few hours using Corel Painter Essentials 4 and Photoshop 6.

I am curious. What is the added value of Corel Painter in map design?
Malak
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby pete AU » Sat Aug 15, 2009 8:30 pm

I just like the tracing paper function on it really (for free handing the roads and rivers) and some of the paintbrush effects. Photoshop can probably do the same thing.
pete AU
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Malak » Sun Aug 23, 2009 3:42 pm

Does it help to place shadows on the map for creating hills or mountains appearance? If so, I need to buy it since this is my main problem so far. :evil:
Malak
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby Joe » Sun Aug 23, 2009 9:05 pm

Malak wrote:Does it help to place shadows on the map for creating hills or mountains appearance? If so, I need to buy it since this is my main problem so far. :evil:

Use the correct function keys and the hills show up on the map.

-
Joe
Colonel
Colonel

Postby pete AU » Tue Aug 25, 2009 1:05 am

Tinkering with map ideas - tring to develop a different style

detail

pete AU
Colonel
Colonel

Postby pete AU » Tue Aug 25, 2009 2:03 am

Malak wrote:Does it help to place shadows on the map for creating hills or mountains appearance? If so, I need to buy it since this is my main problem so far. :evil:

Its all a matter of creating textures, brushes and copying blocks of whats already been done. Photoshop is a great tool - but you need to have talent to get a good map out of it. My skills are quite ordinary in the map making like SSG department - however, its quite easy to develop textures that will do a better than traditional map. (see my second maps for this game above)

I have (prior to this) used the map editior in operational art of war III to do a bitmap dump, resize in any photo editing program, then upload to the SSG game editor.This will give you a workable map. If you then develop a good game from this a 'map artist' will probably enjoy doing an upgraded map for the game (I know I would). No one want's to spend time on a map that may not get used - so this is usually the best approach.
pete AU
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Malak » Sat Aug 29, 2009 5:38 am

Thanks Pete. I like your second map as well.

Regarding map design, so far, I am just giving it a try for future. Indeed, since it is better to start with an existing map, I am reusing the Kharkov map for 1943 operations and progressing like this. Copy/Paste :oops: :roll:
Malak
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby pete AU » Fri Sep 25, 2009 2:36 pm

Thanks for all the feedback.

I have incorporated some changes into the campaign and so will not be upgrading Shimsk - I will however add it as a scenario to the campaign.

Currently the map is complete - 120 by 120 hexes and I'm waiting on some reliable OOB to start popping out the counters. Unfortunately Soviet OOB is different for every book you read!

I will be parking this project for now until the OOB is improved and picking up work on my second project. Project 2 has its map finished (my best yet) and full OOB, its late war Eastern front and I think has the potential to be a real stayer, we shall see.
pete AU
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Noakesy » Fri Sep 25, 2009 2:45 pm

pete AU wrote:I will be parking this project for now until the OOB is improved and picking up work on my second project. Project 2 has its map finished (my best yet) and full OOB, its late war Eastern front and I think has the potential to be a real stayer, we shall see.

Well I thought the Shimsk game was looking nice. Are you teasing us re Project 2 or are there more details?
Image ImageImage
Noakesy
Colonel
Colonel

Postby pete AU » Fri Sep 25, 2009 3:08 pm

Project 2 is something i've been working on for a good while - collecting data, OOB etc - The game will probably have cost me a few hundred bucks by the time its done. I'm quite excited about it - so its a secret. close to completion I'll release the map and well have a game of guess the battle.
pete AU
Colonel
Colonel

Return to Kharkov Scenario Design