Map creation: scale

Got an interesting idea about a new scenario design? ...or maybe you just need some help with the Scenario Editor; this is the place!

Moderators: Run5 Staff, SSG Staff

Map creation: scale

Postby Capt. Canuck » Tue May 26, 2009 8:42 am

I've been playing BiI and just received Kharkov in the mail (love the games btw ssg). Checking out posts on scenario creation, etc... I noticed in the the Kharkov manual it lists the hex scale (@ 4km). What I would like to do, when I get brave enough, is to create a series of scenarios that follow the Canadian 1st Div from Sicily up the boot, at the regiment/brigade level. My questions is:
Would that be possible with the BiI battleset (I'm not sure what the hex scale is) or should I consider using the Kharkov engine (since it is already close to the scale I'm considering)? Either way would involve a new map.
Thx
Capt. Canuck
Private
Private

Postby Roger Keating » Tue May 26, 2009 9:15 am

I don't think that anyone can really answer your question. When Ian designs his scenario he has a distinct scale in mind and that is what is stated. The system will work best, in a military sense, if you stick close to the parameters.

However, it is designed to handle numerous scenarios and can be changed and adjusted to fit a lower or higher scale and some scenarios published on the site reflect this.

I think the best advice is simply to try it and see.
Roger Keating
SSG

Postby Joe » Tue May 26, 2009 10:54 am

In my view the Kharkov engine and theKharkov editor are both much superior to BiI.

As for the scale, if you use youre imagination, you can do almost anything.

-
Joe
Colonel
Colonel

Postby TreadHead » Tue May 26, 2009 11:14 am

I agree about the superior Kharkov system - though BiI is fine too. Selfishly, I'd like to see more scenarios done with Kharkov.
TreadHead
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Postby Capt. Canuck » Wed May 27, 2009 2:20 am

Thanks, all, for the responses. I think I will be designing on top of the Kharkov engine. It already has many of the attributes that I'd be looking for. Now its a matter of learning the map design et al.... I did read somewhere on Run5 of someone doing a "Gothic Line" scenario, but I think it was with an older Decisive Battles version, and not sure if it's been continued.
:)
Capt. Canuck
Private
Private

Postby laska2k4 » Thu May 28, 2009 6:28 pm

Capt. Canuck wrote:... I did read somewhere on Run5 of someone doing a "Gothic Line" scenario, but I think it was with an older Decisive Battles version, and not sure if it's been continued.
:)

I'm still working on it and run on Kharkov engine. Hope to release a beta soon.
max
laska2k4
Sergeant
Sergeant

Return to Kharkov Scenario Design