Fallschirmjaeger -assault on Den Haag

Got an interesting idea about a new scenario design? ...or maybe you just need some help with the Scenario Editor; this is the place!

Moderators: Run5 Staff, SSG Staff

Fallschirmjaeger -assault on Den Haag

Postby J Campbell » Wed Apr 08, 2009 12:18 am

Hi guys, Here is my attempt at a user created scenario.

The scale would be platoon through company level at just a shade over 1km per hex.

Map goes from North of Rotterdam to the Nordzee. Leiden sits in the bottom right corner of the map with Den Haag above it.

Map would be 24 hexes wide by 35 tall.

First turn is Morning of May 10 and ends on 14 may with each turn being roughly 8 hours. this means there will be 13 game turns.

German units include:
22LL Division
47 inf reg (13 units-company level 2 steps with 1 time rep-exception being the art co)
65 inf reg (13 units-company level 2 steps with 1 time rep -exception being the art co))
22LLunits (GHQ?) (3 inf co and 3 eng co 2 steps with 1 time ea)

18 x para plt from the I,II,II battalions of the 2nd FJR with 2 para supply heads. 1 step each with every 2 of 5 having an extra life to simulate the reorganizing of ad hoc formations from stragglers and healthy men.

Reinforcements if all these units are airlanded would be the 72 inf reg 22LL div. 13 units like the other 2 regiments.

The FJ paras would have an att of 4 and def of 4(?) 1 step.
The 22 inf co would be 2 (1) step with att/def of 8

65 german units total if my count is correct-stacking at 4 units per hex.

Terrain consists of:
city-its own crt roughly 3 shifts right of open
open/farmland -basic default crt
woods-1 shift right of open crt
orchard-1 shift right of open crt
marsh-2 shift rt of open crt
village -1 shift rt of open crt

The IF modifiers and arty residue would be identical to Kharkov.

I plan on using the same mov't allowances as kharkov but dividing them by 3 because the turns are 8 hours rather than 1 day.
J Campbell
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby J Campbell » Wed Apr 08, 2009 12:25 am

My biggest question so far is the use of bullets and HQ resupply-should i provide all units with 6 bullets and 6 oil cans and have them consume at a rate of 2 bullets per attack or will their ammo go to fast?

It seems in kharkov and other scenarios the units can go about 4-5 days of continuous combat ate a rate of 2 bullets expended and replenish by Hq at 1 per day . If i mimick that then the units will be running out of ammo at the end of 24 hours if they attack for all 6 turns-perhaps thats realistic anyway considering their situation-any input on this is more than welcome.

I am not too sure on how to set up the HQ's as well.

I don't really see any way to mimick the loss of JU52's due to AA fire/crashes so what i think i will do is reduce the reinforcement rate over time simulating the reduction in transport capability-will that work?

I cannot do AI so this will have to be a user Hot seat or pbem scenario-very sorry about that.

Next post will be about the Dutch units
J Campbell
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby J Campbell » Wed Apr 08, 2009 12:30 am

Looks like all units considered the Dutch have 59 units on map to start (includes alot of AA guns and 44 more units come in as reinforcements-their meat and potato units are the 6 att/def Inf co.

That totals out at 103 units. Wow-alot more than i thought. I'll post my progress as it goes.
J Campbell
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby Abwehr » Wed Apr 08, 2009 4:15 am

The Dutch did have some better equipped units in the area, like the airfield garrison and an armoured car company.

By Dutch Army standards, they also got a massive amount of reinforcements as the 1st Army Corps was turned away from the reserve on the Grebbeline to help clean out the paratroopers.

Which Dutch divisions/regiments/battalions have you included?

2 bullets per attack/6 bullets total sounds good. The paratroopers would have used mostly simple weapons like rifles and SMG's so ammo would've only been a problem after a prolonged fight. Perhaps you could give the artillery only 3 attack bullets, so they would need to be in supply to fire.
Abwehr
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Malak » Thu Apr 09, 2009 6:26 am

J Campbell wrote:I don't really see any way to mimick the loss of JU52's due to AA fire/crashes so what i think i will do is reduce the reinforcement rate over time simulating the reduction in transport capability-will that work?

I assume you could also work on the supply percentage per turn in the country data.
Malak
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby J Campbell » Fri Apr 10, 2009 1:48 am

editor questions.

In creating units-where do i get the pictures for the counters? I can see all the counter identifiers such as 1-1 and up but the pics don't show up for some reason. I never had that problem in battlefront. any help woul dbe appresciated.
thx,
john
J Campbell
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby Malak » Fri Apr 10, 2009 3:45 am

The unit’s counters are coming from the ScenarioPics.xcr file. I do not know if the BMP files for Kharkov are at the same format than Battlefront.

Also, based on my current experience, if you have changed some countries, the list must be defined in Country Data and the associated BMP files must be selected in the editor before creating any units.

At last, I have seen that sometimes, it helps to save the scenario after some modifications, exit the editor and reload it. I do not know why but it seems it is better for seeing some of your modifications.

Hope this helps
Malak
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby J Campbell » Fri Apr 10, 2009 7:48 am

hi Malak,

tanks for the help. I made a country data imprint or whatever and so showed up all american unit icons-which i am now using for the Dutch forces.

How do i set up ferry points like the ones in market garden -battlefront?

CRT's are written. The underbody map is going along fine. Do i have to do anything special to prevent units from crossing river hexsides? I only want units that are non pontoon bridging engineer units to cross at bridges.

1 more thing-i have a fair amount of weapons companies-both for 22 luftlande and the dutch-they are equipped with i suppose hvy mortars? range is 3 km (3 hexes game terms). should i make this an art units with close combat attack? essentially its an infantry compnay with range attack of 3 but that range attack is at a reduced fire-needs a 6 on the IF fire.

For those of you who do not own SCS fallschirmjaeger by the Gamers. i am trying my best to mimick this game layout but incorporating as close as i can ssg style units/supply/combat.

seems the deeper i get into scenario design the more questions i uncover.

thanks for any help.
john
J Campbell
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby RedMike » Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:40 am

Very interesting!

When you're ready for play-testing, let me know. I'd like very much to help out with this one.

Cheers!
RedMike
RedMike
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby Malak » Wed Apr 22, 2009 5:04 am

J Campbell wrote:How do i set up ferry points like the ones in market garden -battlefront?

CRT's are written. The underbody map is going along fine. Do i have to do anything special to prevent units from crossing river hexsides? I only want units that are non pontoon bridging engineer units to cross at bridges.

Sorry John for the delay of my answer, I took one week off…

If you want to prevent a unit to cross a river, you need to specify if its movement type is allowed or not to do it.

Here is the topic explaining how to setup the movement type of each of your units:
http://www.ssg.com.au/forums/viewtopic.php?t=131

Once you have defined your units, you could then go to the editor. Select the following:
1. All map functions
2. Terrain
3. River and cliffs

In this page of the editor, you have the possibility for major or minor rivers to setup the movement type allowed to cross a river for good and bad weather.

For each movement type (leg, horse, tank, …), you could set ‘OK’ or ‘NO’ in the Move Legal parameter.

I suggest you to see what is implemented in the same page for the Kharkov scenario.

Cheers
Malak
Sergeant
Sergeant

Return to Kharkov Scenario Design