New scenario: Kirovograd

Got an interesting idea about a new scenario design? ...or maybe you just need some help with the Scenario Editor; this is the place!

Moderators: Run5 Staff, SSG Staff

Postby Chris Merchant » Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:23 pm

You'll see a superimposed number on the units in reinforcement screen in the OMA which indicates the number of turns before the units show up in the Standard OMA screen (and thus ready for assignment to on map entry hexes or other OMAs).

cheers
Chris Merchant
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby Strax » Thu Apr 30, 2009 11:22 pm

Noakesy wrote:
Abwehr wrote:Those support units are not the problem, the fact that GD and the SS can't reach the top area is more problematic.

Hmmm, I have GD at the top of the map (or rather I did until Strax's jammy red hoardes killed them) :?

URRAH! :D :D :D
Strax
Major
Major

Postby SS Hauptsturmfuhrer » Fri May 01, 2009 1:10 am

Thanks Chris. Now I see it says Totenkopf is arriving in 3 turns for me.

I got the Grossdeutschland moving up now to cover the city and some artillery positions while my survivors from the front line fall back to a secondary defensive line using the river. I still got some stuff happening though on the eastern riverfront to try and mess up the Russian assault in order to provide counterattack opportunities for my worn-out troops.

On some hexes there have been 10 units or so destroyed but the kills screen only shows 4 units killed on one hex. Is there a way to cycle through large numbers of units destroyed on the same hex? Also what if both Russian and German units are both lost on the same hex and I wanna see both? I hope to switch between both sides' unit losses.
SS Hauptsturmfuhrer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby Carl Myers » Fri May 01, 2009 2:09 am

On some hexes there have been 10 units or so destroyed but the kills screen only shows 4 units killed on one hex.

Look at the adjacent hexes.
Carl Myers
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby SS Hauptsturmfuhrer » Fri May 01, 2009 10:15 pm

What are the hedgehogging rules for Kirovograd? The open terrain info says hogging is okay but no units ever show hog capability.

Our battle continues with huge casualties. I'm fighting eastwards to relieve my exhausted troops holding the north and fighting the Russian tank armies trying to make it through in the south. A strong, bypassed pocket of German troops along the eastern river hampers the Russian advance. The city itself has Russians massed on the outskirts and endless attacks and counterattacks continue non-stop. The reduced enemy horde is finally showing the fruits of our counterattacks.
SS Hauptsturmfuhrer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby Chris Merchant » Fri May 01, 2009 10:54 pm

initially I gave certain German units the ability to Hedgehog but after some testing it proved too strong for the Soviets.

cheers
Chris Merchant
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby SS Hauptsturmfuhrer » Sat May 02, 2009 9:18 pm

I recommend this battle for everyone to play. The operational area is small so the turns don't take very long. It is historical, tactical and very violent.
SS Hauptsturmfuhrer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby Abwehr » Tue May 19, 2009 10:33 pm

I'm playing against deerslayer now and having a good time with the scenario.

I decided to simply abandon the south-east after the Soviet capture bonus on the VH expired, as it's really not worth the trouble. I now have a more or less straight north-south defensive line, with a small bulge at Kirovograd as I still hold it. All frontline VH's have been held until the bonus expired.

Now that the refit chance has evolved from "you're never going to get a free step" 10% to "a fair amount of your refits will get you a step" 20/30% my defensive situation isn't all that bad currently.

The Soviet advance is hindered by bad weather, which helps me quite a lot. I also send the 8th Tank Corps back to the drawing board on turn 2, which also helps quite a bit in the south.

Not sure where I'll send the SS when they arrive.
Abwehr
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Noakesy » Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:15 pm

Strax and I have just completed a game of Kirovograd. Great fun, but the casualties are absolutely enormous. I'm trying to figure out how to post a screen shot or otherwise of the map with the 'k' hotkey pressed --- I think there are more units shown in that shot than there are survivors at the end. :roll: :D

Noticed that my poor German units were really rubbish at refitting (should have checked the % success, I can't recall what it was).
Image ImageImage
Noakesy
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Strax » Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:39 pm

I can't work out how to do a screenshot thing but looking at the Victory screen, which Noakesy won as the foul Fascist invader, the total number of Soviet units KIA is 80 and axis is 58. A bloodbath!

It was the controlled objectives where Noakesy scored highly. 22 to my 19.
Points for that was 2370 against my 820. I scored much higher with the KIA as the Master Race are worth more than the under humans but Noakesy came out with a marginal victory of 420.

(through gritted teeth) Well done Noakesy. :evil:
Strax
Major
Major

Postby Abwehr » Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:47 pm

In our game, deerslayer lost about 50 units as the Soviets and I lost 19 as the Germans, almost all in the first few turns.

My north-south line at the major river held firm and I had control of all objectives excluding the three frontline ones.
Abwehr
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Joe » Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:51 pm

Take a screen shot of the game.

Use Microsoft paint to edit that screen shot.

Save the file in JPEG format. It is now saved to my hard disk.

My ISP provides me with some free web space. I log onto the web site of my ISP and upload the file to my free space. Other people use a service like photobucket.com

Then get the web address of that file. Type the web address into you’re web browser and the picture will show up in youre web browser.

At the same time you have confirmed the web address of the file.

When you are about to make a post note the Smilies on the left and across the top are a series of buttons.

One of these buttons is “Img”

Press Img (this opens the image function)
“copy and paste” the web address.
Press Img ( this closes the image function)

Find attached a screen shot, with a circle I drew with Microsoft Paint

-
Joe
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Strax » Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:06 pm

But to take the screen shot?

I pressed the "print screen" button and nothing happened. Someone told me F12 but nothing happened then either.
Strax
Major
Major

Postby Noakesy » Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:21 pm

I think 'print screen' is like the 'copy' button, and then you switch over to powerpoint or something like that, and 'paste'. However, as I'm still in the "IT for the under 5s" category, I could have this completely wrong.
Image ImageImage
Noakesy
Colonel
Colonel

Screen shot

Postby Carl Myers » Tue Jun 09, 2009 11:18 pm

Press Control P and look for a file MapDumpXX in the Kharkov folder.
Carl Myers
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

PreviousNext

Return to Kharkov Scenario Design