New scenario: Kirovograd

Got an interesting idea about a new scenario design? ...or maybe you just need some help with the Scenario Editor; this is the place!

Moderators: Run5 Staff, SSG Staff

New scenario: Kirovograd

Postby Chris Merchant » Thu Mar 26, 2009 8:07 pm

Kirovograd - Central Ukraine, Jan 1944
AI and PBEM, 4km/hex, 1 turn/day - 12 turns

Konev's 2nd Ukrainian Front launches an all out assault on the German 47th Korps with the initial aim of recapturing the city of Kirovograd.
Breakthroughs, encirclements, breakouts, feints and counterattacks ensued, involving an extraordinary number of armoured formations on both sides.

As the Soviet player you'll need to be brutal in your approach - ignore the casualties, crunch through the front lines and aim for capture of Kirovograd if you can, and then head for the west. To aid in this, your artillery units have been well stockpiled - but only for the first few days.

The German player will need to avoid being caught in the open and will have to judge the right time for counterattacks to keep the Soviet player off guard.

main research sources:

Jack Radey's Kirovograd boardgame
HPS Panzer Campaigns Korsun '44
Various David Glantz publications

many thanks to Joe for playtesting.

Enjoy!

The scenario is included in the new Kharkov v1.20 patch available here
Last edited by Chris Merchant on Tue Apr 06, 2010 5:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Chris Merchant
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby CESteman » Fri Mar 27, 2009 2:25 am

Thanks for the great effort! Now all I need is 1.11 :)
Image ImageImageImage
CESteman
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby Abwehr » Fri Mar 27, 2009 3:44 am

Sorry I couldn't help with the playtesting, but waiting for the new patch took what seemed like an eternity.

The scenario looks good.

Edit: Would it be possible to move the Area of Operations for the 8th Army slightly to the east, say a hex or two, so from the easternmost hexes of Kirovograd to the north. Currently, the GD can't really take part in my forward defense, as the frontline is two hexes away from the eastern border of their area of operations. 8th Army FlaK and Pioneer regiments can't reach the area either, which means the player is more or less forced to give up a straight defensive line in order for those units to participate in the fighting.
Abwehr
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Carl Myers » Wed Apr 08, 2009 8:23 pm

Why do the Soviet AA units have anti-strike but not anti-aircraft capability?
Carl Myers
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby Chris Merchant » Thu Apr 09, 2009 8:27 am

egads, looks like I missed that. I will add that in for V1.00, thanks for pointing it out.

cheers
Chris Merchant
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby Gregor Whiley » Thu Apr 09, 2009 8:56 am

Carl Myers wrote:Why do the Soviet AA units have anti-strike but not anti-aircraft capability?

I'm sure that Comrade General Merchant, (who is in no way responsible for the unfortunate bourgeois connotations of his name), has issued all necessary orders for a resolute and unflinching air defence of the Motherland.

Any records that purport to show otherwise are clearly forgeries, perpetrated by fascist and/or imperialist spies. Everything is now working perfectly, (as it always was) or will already be as soon as the necessary files are amended.

Yours in solidarity

Comrade Gregorovitch
Gregor Whiley
Vice President, SSG
www.ssg.com.au
Gregor Whiley
SSG

Postby SS Hauptsturmfuhrer » Sat Apr 25, 2009 6:13 pm

Is there any news about this Kirovograd battle? I checked it out from the German side and it looks interesting. The opening Soviet attack is quite brutal like it ought to be. I like this kind of underappreciated Eastern front battle getting some attention.

If someone wants to, I'm willing to play an email game with this. I prefer to play as the Germans but open to being either side. Send me a PM or email if you want to: SShauptsturmfuhrer@live.com but remove the SS from the name (anti-spam).
SS Hauptsturmfuhrer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby Noakesy » Mon Apr 27, 2009 1:01 am

I played as German against the AI and won easily, now playing Strax and we're about 6 turns in and the casualties have been horrendous (mostly mine). Very enjoyable though, good to have an interesting but small/manageable scenario.
Image ImageImage
Noakesy
Colonel
Colonel

Postby SS Hauptsturmfuhrer » Tue Apr 28, 2009 4:11 pm

I got a game of Kirovograd cooking now. I'll post some commentary on it when we get some turns done. It's a very violent battle with high casualties from the start which is fun. The Germans have some nice units but are thinly stretched so I have to weigh the value of counter attacks against the odds of overruns and not being able to entrench against the Soviet storm. I like this design and it has a cool picture of some Panzers for the background.
SS Hauptsturmfuhrer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby Abwehr » Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:27 pm

Only issue I have with the scenario is what I described above: you can't hold the northernmost VH's with the reinforcements, as they can't get there.
Abwehr
Colonel
Colonel

Postby SS Hauptsturmfuhrer » Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:16 pm

Abwehr wrote:Only issue I have with the scenario is what I described above: you can't hold the northernmost VH's with the reinforcements, as they can't get there.

I also noticed the flaks can't make it to the front, but it could be intentional. Having a few flak units and a single pioneer unit behind the lines is not unreasonable. Or maybe it is an error. Let's see if Chris checks in and comments. I haven't lost the top area yet though but it's still very early in the battle.
SS Hauptsturmfuhrer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby Abwehr » Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:09 am

Those support units are not the problem, the fact that GD and the SS can't reach the top area is more problematic.
Abwehr
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Noakesy » Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:15 am

Abwehr wrote:Those support units are not the problem, the fact that GD and the SS can't reach the top area is more problematic.

Hmmm, I have GD at the top of the map (or rather I did until Strax's jammy red hoardes killed them) :?
Image ImageImage
Noakesy
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Abwehr » Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:33 am

My bad, I meant the central objective (Adzhamka or the like).
Abwehr
Colonel
Colonel

Postby SS Hauptsturmfuhrer » Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:04 am

Noakesy wrote:
Abwehr wrote:Those support units are not the problem, the fact that GD and the SS can't reach the top area is more problematic.

Hmmm, I have GD at the top of the map (or rather I did until Strax's jammy red hoardes killed them) :?

Oh man that is harsh. You get Totenkopf too right? My opponent is busy with work so our game is on hold until tomorrow. I can see Gross and Totenkopf in the OMA reinforcement screen but they haven't become available yet. Is there a way to see the turn of release of reinforcements on the OMA screen?
SS Hauptsturmfuhrer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Next

Return to Kharkov Scenario Design