Editor abilities

Got an interesting idea about a new scenario design? ...or maybe you just need some help with the Scenario Editor; this is the place!

Moderators: Run5 Staff, SSG Staff

Postby Malak » Thu May 14, 2009 4:47 am

Hi all,

Coming back on this hold thread …

I have spent quite a few nights to design the bitmaps for Russian armies, corps and divisions for the Rumyantsev operation. I have based my work on the Kharkov design to create about the same thing.

Then, I have created, based on David M. Glantz’s book “From the Don to the Dnepr” about 39 formations only for Red Army.

Now, I am creating the units and I have a little problem with the editor. Perhaps, I am stupid but in the Units screen, the “Formation” parameter is only displaying the values for the 27 first created formations. Am I doing something wrong?

Another question, within one formation, there are 6 sub formations allowed. Is there a way to increase this number (one Russian army having 7 divisions without corps for example)?

Thanks in advance for your help
Malak
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby Roger Keating » Thu May 14, 2009 9:38 am

There is only space for 27 formations on the page so the mouse wheel is used to scroll down the list. It is a fudge as there really isn't the space or code to drive a proper text scrolling interface.

There is a fixed limit to the number of sub formations however and nothing can currently be done about that. It is really a limit imposed by the way the editor works and one of these days when we have lots of money and lots of time it could be corrected .. so I will just say sorry and dream about the good times.
Roger Keating
SSG

Postby Malak » Fri May 15, 2009 2:25 am

Thanks a lot Roger. Mouse wheel is working fine. I was worried to have reached a limit. But, in fact, I have found a minor one. If one front is having nine armies, in the OOB screen, there is a refresh problem. The last army won’t be erased from display when clicking on Previous and/or Next button. I hope this is the only drawback for the game.

For the second problem, I have resolved it by assigning one of the divisions to the front instead of the army. This is not the exact OOB but who cares if we enjoy playing the scenario? :roll:

But, I am losing time trying to assign exact number of the regiments. The problem is that I have some of the information but in several sources. I will try to compile that first in a single file.
And, I have not even started the Germans... :shock:

Cheers
Malak
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby Roger Keating » Fri May 15, 2009 9:31 am

There are always a few frustrating limits in the system but I know that Ian has found ways to get around most of them. He knows what it would take to give him what he wants, which is a system that would allow armies, formations and other data to be transferable between scenarios and with no limits on anything .. we can all dream.

The refresh limit is just a fact that I have to define a limit and that was it. I don't worry overly about refresh problems unless they affect one of our published scenarios as there will always be those limits. As a designer you can choose to modify the database or live with the refresh problems, which are minor compared to the game as a whole.

If you really want to waste a lot of time try heading nto the AI and getting the machine to be intelligent. Gregor has almost finished his first sceanrio in which he has written all the AI code and it has been an interesting experience. I am always willing to help anyone who wants to try and we should have more tutorial material to help soon.

Now, back to work ...
Roger Keating
SSG

Postby Malak » Sat May 30, 2009 9:38 pm

Agree with you, programming AI is entertaining. I personally think that programming offence is easiest than defence.

But, could you confirm the following? In fact, for one formation, after defining AO, you could program AI. But, since AO exists, you could only program the hexes where AI must specially act without the complete path of hexes to go to the objective.

I do not know if I am clear but if a player choose not to use AO for computer, will the AI still work and use the planned path of the AO. For me, I should plan both.

Thanks
Malak
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby Roger Keating » Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:58 am

This was a major problem when regions were introduced and I had more than a few words to say about the impact on the AI.

We did have a solution though and if you try to set the AI to 'No Area of Ops' option and try to start the game a dialog will come up and inform you that the AI will either use the historical AO or you can go back and change it.

The AI will only operate with regions in effect. This is primarily to stop the designer from having to put a great deal of work into the chance that a player would want to play against it with the AI have No Areas in effect. Players may do as the wish though. As no one seems to have commented on this particular dialog I don't think many have noticed it.
Roger Keating
SSG

Previous

Return to Kharkov Scenario Design