Map help

Got an interesting idea about a new scenario design? ...or maybe you just need some help with the Scenario Editor; this is the place!

Moderators: Run5 Staff, SSG Staff

Map help

Postby 88flak » Sat Sep 27, 2008 10:48 am

I am wanting to create a simple generic scenario to get the hang of the editor. I have read numerous posts in the forums, but call me dumb...I just don't understand it at all. Looking at the lack of user made scenarios, maybe I am not the only one. Right now I am stuck (read completely baffled) on creating the map.

My questions

1. How do I create a map from scratch. I see the red-green-blue buttons in the editor, but I don't understand the number values. Is there a terrain pallet somewhere? I like the graphics that are used in the Kharkov scenario, can I use them to create a completely new map...ie forest hexes etc...

2. What is the EXACT step by step procedure for importing a map, and how do you determine scale. I am looking for the smallest scale possible.

Regardless, I am really missing a fundamental on how to do this. Is there a comprehensive pdf (idiots guide, complete with pictures and coloring book!) to creating scenarios somewhere?

Thanks
88flak
New Recruit

Postby Gregor Whiley » Wed Oct 01, 2008 8:59 am

There isn't a comprehensive guide about map making, it's on my to do list but there's a lot on my plate at the moment. For starters, please email support@ssg.com.au, attention to me, or just PM me on the forums, with your email address, so I can try to help with specific questions while a guide is being worked on. I'll try to work up an outline of the process as soon as I can.

Gregor
Gregor Whiley
Vice President, SSG
www.ssg.com.au
Gregor Whiley
SSG

Postby Malak » Wed Jan 07, 2009 7:50 am

From what I have understood, there is no terrain pallet available within the editor. The editor allows you to define each type of hexes (clear, forest, …) then the roads (major, minor), rivers …

But, as far as the map graphics are concerned, you need a graphic editor like Photoshop to build your image of the map based on what you have firstly defined in the game editor.

Hope this helps
Malak
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby Chris Merchant » Wed Jan 07, 2009 8:50 am

yes photoshop skillz are required in building a map. That's the reason the maps look so good, they're done by hand. In terms of getting to that point, I've found the guide by Rob for the older DBWWII to be mostly useful: http://ssg.com.au/forums/viewtopic.php?t=55 but there's some items mentioned that don't exist in Kharkov (eg supertiles).

cheers
Chris Merchant
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby Malak » Wed Jan 14, 2009 7:55 am

Great guide, I will give it a try.
Malak
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby Malak » Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:05 am

Sorry, question from a new recruit. :oops: Is there any issue if I am reusing maps and unit counters from previous SSG’s games to try to make a scenario?

Thank you
Malak
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby Roger Keating » Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:48 am

Not a problem Malak, as long as you do not intend to sell it and place it on these forums once it is finished.
Roger Keating
SSG

Postby Robjess » Wed Jan 28, 2009 12:15 pm

Just to clarify Roger's post as I think it could be misinterpreted. He is saying you cant resell or make a profit from the scenario - but he is also saying that he DOES want you to share it with everyone else via these forums :)
Robjess
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Postby Roger Keating » Wed Jan 28, 2009 12:29 pm

I would certainly bow to Rob on the way in which to structure an answer but I could probably teach him a thing or two about raising a family. If you think two are a handful then try my lot. The youngest are 21 but as we now know, the modern teenage years are between 10 and 26.
Roger Keating
SSG

Postby Malak » Thu Jan 29, 2009 4:29 am

:lol: Thanks a lot. And, don’t worry. If I am successful with the editor, the scenario will be definitely published here.
Malak
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby Robjess » Thu Jan 29, 2009 3:11 pm

Happy to take any and all parenting tips :)
Robjess
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Postby Roger Keating » Thu Jan 29, 2009 3:38 pm

Well the "Don't have em" part doesn't really have a lot of use now so we would have to start from a new base.

I can only say that they will be full of surprises and no two are ever the same. I have been very lucky over the last 30 years to have been able to work at home so I could actually get to know them at every phase, and to have Doom players at call. We had one of the first networks on the block so were quite popular.

Mind you some stories my daughter has given me about boyfriends who have been shocked at her profiency at games from Chess to motor racing games have amused us both. Apparently this is something that males are supposed to be good at .. train em up Rob then let them loose.
Roger Keating
SSG

Postby Robjess » Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:42 pm

Actually my wife baited me by telling me she played FPS games on the PC. By the time I found out she had stretched the truth it was too late - I was hooked.
Robjess
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Postby Roger Keating » Fri Jan 30, 2009 8:37 am

At least with your children you have them at a young age .. and I always found that they loved challenging thier parents in games where they had a chance to win. None of my children has challenged me to a game of chess for that reason, but would play most other games.
Roger Keating
SSG

Return to Kharkov Scenario Design