Viscos Travel to map creation (One map released!)

Got an interesting idea about a new scenario design? ...or maybe you just need some help with the Scenario Editor; this is the place!

Moderators: Run5 Staff, SSG Staff

Viscos Travel to map creation (One map released!)

Postby Visco » Sun Aug 03, 2008 3:03 am

THIS IS KINDA "DUMB ASS GUYS IDEAS AND THOUGHTS OF HOW TO MAKE A MAP WITH NO KNOWLEDGE AT ALL"

Ok boys and girls?,

ive done my map and i want to know how to add my units..

i did a even smaller scale map then i intend to... (10x10) so it will be pure infantry.. here is what i intend

I redid this!
Last edited by Visco on Wed Aug 06, 2008 6:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
Visco
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby Visco » Sun Aug 03, 2008 9:13 pm

ok so what ive found out so far.

first i need to add a formation (so that the units are under a sertain command)

but i dont seem to be able to add the unit roster on the right side (were you see the icons of the units etc.) why this dont show i dont know. do i need to add something other then the formations and if so, what?
Visco
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby Visco » Mon Aug 04, 2008 3:09 am

update!

Ive got my companys on the map! (yay finaly) made a bunch of mistakes tho, but nothing that cant be fixed in time ;).

apparently my units can not move (even when they got supply the cant move) and i cant for the life of me figure this out... anyone got any idea on how to fix this?? they just sit there and i cant move them :(
Visco
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby Robjess » Mon Aug 04, 2008 7:33 pm

Have you set movement costs for each of the terrain types?
Have you mapped the terrain onto the map?
Have you assigned either Axis or Allied ownership to each of the hexes on the map?

- I bet its the last one you havent done.
Robjess
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Postby Visco » Mon Aug 04, 2008 7:55 pm

yeah. i set so allied own half of the map, axis the other half.. i did not set movement cost tho :S..

im redoing everything again becouse of some initial mistakes that i did.

i have TONS of problems getting the data files correct. (allied and axis signs and unit marks) so this is what im doing now.. ive somehow "lost" the signs and are now trying to remake it so it works again..

i found that checking one map in the editor, quit and checking mine somehow bugs the program alot. and disables save function (even if the function seems to work) also gives other types of errors. is it just me or is this known to you guyS?
Visco
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby Visco » Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:26 pm

ok i got passed the non movement part, and units behave as normal (yes i stole some CRT and Terrain info from Krakov map.

Now im doing supply and for the first time EVER ive got the supply working as supposed. (yes!) atleast for the germans.. however, i want to know what determines that a unit is an HQ. Ruskies got HQ but gerrys dont. (ive scripted the both HQ exacly the same but Germanys HQ dont work)

Also when doing the units i find it hard to determine what unit strenght is going to be used.. for example

whats the diffrence between, battalion, regiment etc? (i know in IRL but in the game it dont seem to matter) Also. when doing infantry for the Allies i use the inf template and put them pritty weak (just to try the values) but even then the Axis 2x Pz's cant brake one unit (resulted in a A2 value each time och clear ground) i did the Inf defence value to 14 (at maximum) and did the tank attack value at 20 (at maximum) wich should give the axis 12 extra when doing 2 vs 1 unit.. still fails, when in my mind it should be a clear victory for the axis.

Regarding Supply:
ive done the supply depot to spread 10, (small spread to say least) becouse i was planning that the axis HQ would spread it further, is this just my imagination or does it work that way? (supply feed HQ, HQ feed units) if i did not missread thats how its supposed to be.
Visco
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby Visco » Tue Aug 05, 2008 3:41 am

is it just me who posts here?. well what ive found out so far..

The battlesets provided by SSG with the editor (auto generated when createing a new map) is faulty, they include the supply cars (OBS NOT HQ's!) but not HQ's as Khrakov game needs.. when extracting the allied (ie russian) battle sets from the original map i get the Hq's and these are used to supply my armys.

so i now know what determines whats an HQ (its an HQ counter that decides that) Great you might think! but now i need to make a HQ unit for the germany.bmp becouse i cant extract that file from the original game (its just not there when using the extraction program, only when adding) so i just advanced to the next level *ding*, while doing this i intend to create a new type of infantry aswell (civilians) wich will be given to each town and controlled under a civilian HQ (yet controlled by each nation) as my map will not be between germany and russia (or usa,brits) it will be Nation A vs Nation B and both will be 100% fictional and have 100% same ammount of units (so it will hurt to lose a unit, and both can win)

Right now im playing around with russian vs germany and i made a stupid ass thing just for fun. i got the idea of ww1 so i added a bunch of units called "ww1 vets" on each side, germans harder then russians (becouse of they dont want history from ww1 to repeat itself :roll: ) i added an artillery gun to the germans and made it work. now i plan to add lots more tho ^^. the think with this ww1 twist is sience my map is so small and i made the units just reapear when killed (they respawn via OMA) its kinda ww1 standoff and it takes tons of energy to advance over the 10 hexes side to side. its fun and it could be a stupid but quick and fun PBEM map i suppose.

Well back to the Civilians. These are crap units ofcourse (not supposed to be used in combat) but as each nation has a status quo and losing a unit will suck big time the Civilians may be the ones defending your capital when its about to fall, so i will give them about 50% of a normal units Defence value and 10% of ther Attack value. but in return of them beeing Civilians im adding so that they will have a 90% Surrender chance when surrounded and about 10% in normal combat.

I am not sure how i will make units reapear on the map (via omas) but i think i will make an objective on each side called "Barracks" and the other OMA will land in the capital. ideas on this would be nice

Also i would like 2 names for Nation A and Nation B.

Til' later
// Viscos
Visco
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby Visco » Tue Aug 05, 2008 4:17 am

Well im back, that was quick you thought?...

Adding an extra unit was not as i expected.. i have NO clue what determines whats what in the germany.bmp file, i suppose its in a file were its scripted. BUT wich file?!?! Gah!.

well Added the rumanians instead (XCREPLUS.exe removes the last file in each .xcr file and the germans are the last file >.< ) when doing this i lost lots of stuff ive done and it was just crap (pissed me off, lucky its not impossible to change) if someone could point me in the direction of were i find the files i need to change to make my own "nation.bmp" file i would be realy realy happy..

Also i remember back in the days playing ww2 europe map someone made there was aircrafts.. come to think about it, that is cool.. and it would eliminate the need for me to give the player airstrikes when i can just add Aircrafts to each side and let them be used as airstrikes (that way you always can use it as it suits you best) Makeing an Artillery unit with an aircraft in the display and giving it long range (50 hexes?)

Well you have all been very patient so i will show you my map so far and the units in it and everything, it will just be one screen and its far from what i have in mind but just to see progress.

Enjoy

Visco
Sergeant
Sergeant

Keep it up

Postby critter » Tue Aug 05, 2008 4:54 am

Looks good.. Besides a change of pace..It might be a great learning tool if you don't add to much.
Don't apologize for your work. there are alott of us that can't get this far.
critter
Major
Major

Postby Visco » Tue Aug 05, 2008 5:55 pm

Thx. well, this map is a great learning experience and i learn more and more every time i start it up. ive been doing the new units yesterday (found a post from robjess that dated back in 2003, lol) so the adding part is also passed (wich was a huge relief),

Ive decided that i will build of the rumanian template when doing nation A and B, both will have very simular units and it will only be diffrent on the tanks and on the artillery (to give each nation its own shift) these "Tank Corps" i intend to do for nation A will be heavy tanks (normaly each teams tanks will be light) IMO Nation A will have 4 heavy tanks (with 2 men in each) these will be regiment size and only have one life. Nation B will in turn have 4 extra artillery guns of wich 2 will be heavy. i am not sure if this will be enogh to support a major brakethru on either side but im sure it will give some shift to each side. also it will be fully possible to put 4 artillery strikes on one hex for both side to speed up the battle a tad.

Target has been set to be "Capture the enemys capital" and on the way do pritty much what the russians did on the berlin assult (face major rivers, urban fighting etc) so it will not be a peace of cake.

I have thought of how i will possibly do the "main" map, and imo it would proberly be best if it was something like 50x50 or 100x100 map with water all around it (its an iland) terrain would be mainly farmlands and some forest, rivers running from side to side and some mountains and urban areas.

im going back to work on the templates for each nation now, trying to make whats left (ive done civilians allready)

Oh btw. i think i will add Civilians as a minor country under Nation A and B so it will not actualy be a part of your main army.
Visco
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby Visco » Wed Aug 06, 2008 2:27 am

Added AI!..

Well i dont think it work as it is supposed to at all.. but what do i care :P i now have a very worthy opponent.

Playing around with the "if captured, then lose" objectives may be fun, but i dont see how it will be successfully used in a scenario. this forces the player (even if there is better options) to defend a area wich is of no importance at all.. wich sucks (well i suppose its important, but for the moment in the game it may seem stupid). for example if i added this to my scenario im planning (the one with nation A and B) the player would simply go all in and focus on hitting the enemy capital before killing his army (and we all want those slugfests that can go either way, dont we?) so i realy think that is a thing i will leave out from my map.

However, adding areas of operations to the AI was simple enogh and i suppose this is what i will do when createing the ai for the map. i will not tell you how but i think this may be a challange even for the best player (as i right now cant beat my own creation, how will you guys?)

The idea i played around with regarding giving one nation a Pz Div and the other an artillery division seems both fair and unfair. The Pz div has a faster pace and can easyly outrun a broken defence (wich is kinda the point) however the other nation will ofcourse have normal tanks but not as strong, so it can be stopped. The artillery on the other hand is a real grinder. in my test the team with the artillery wins. every time. the artillery simply hits and hits and hits untill a target is ready to die on its own. then the kill unit come in and kills the target off. this is kinda evil IMO, and a team with 2 small and 2 heavy artillery more then the other player can put these to use on the same streach of front (there will be 2 fronts on the map i think) if a brake is made, and it will be in time. the player without the extra artillery will be destroyed without realy fighting.. but on the other hand the Pz div can find and kill these extra artillery easy... its a hard balance and im not sure what way to go.

on to the planned scenario.

Nation A - Army (name?)
will have following to its disposal.
2 Formations, 8 Regiments,
4 Artillery guns
40 Infantry
10 Mech Inf
8 Tanks (light - Medium)
*2 Tanks (Medium)
*2 Tanks (Heavy)
2 Hq's
4 AT Guns
4 Horse units

Nation B - Army (Name?)
2 Formations, 8 Regiments,
4 Artillery guns
*2 Artillery (light)
*2 Artillery (Heavy)
40 Infantry
10 Mech Inf
8 Tanks (light - Medium)
2 Hq's
4 AT Guns
4 Horse units

In addition to this.

Each nation will have:
1 Gov unit (Civ HQ)
5-20 Civ Units (population in each town)
and possibly some other unit to defend the Capital 'Freecorps' of men who joined to be homeland defence.

All units will have one life, so when they die they will return to fight again (but very damanged from the start, so it will not be wise to send them to the front direcly)

I am thinking about Supply depots, if they will be placed as strategical targets.

also one ball that is flying is to add an Amfibious regiment to one nation and a airborne regiment to the other. could be fun :P

Soon back again! (in the mean time gimme inputs!, PLEASE!)

// Tommy. AKA Visco
Visco
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby El Toro » Wed Aug 06, 2008 4:43 am

I applaud your efforts Visco, you are in uncharted land for most if not all of us. I hope the Devs can help with your work, I know others in the past with Battlefront weren't. Looking forward to your creations, cheers.
El Toro
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby Visco » Wed Aug 06, 2008 6:43 am

i can put up the 10x10 map for you to test if you wish ;). i suppose im done with it as ive started to work on the new map (with my own gfx etc) its hard work but i hope ill get there soon :P.

enjoy, put it in the Scenario foldier of your game, boost it up and Pm me about bugs.

Its called "German Advance" but infact its a mix map.

Release note:

This works on my machine, dont mean it will work on yours. all the pics are included and i didnt wanna remove them as i use them for ref.

Allies are impossible to win, Axis is easyer. GL!

http://rapidshare.com/files/135102564/G ... e.rar.html
Visco
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby Robjess » Wed Aug 06, 2008 3:12 pm

I always found that the maps were the best part of making a scenario..
Robjess
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Postby Roger Keating » Wed Aug 06, 2008 3:13 pm

Yeh .. right ... and on a scale of 1 to 10 what sort of artist are you (I am a 1 by the way).
Roger Keating
SSG

Next

Return to Kharkov Scenario Design