East Front

Got an interesting idea about a new scenario design? ...or maybe you just need some help with the Scenario Editor; this is the place!

Moderators: Run5 Staff, SSG Staff

Re: East Front

Postby tanker » Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:13 am

Turn 50! The only place the Russians pushed hard was South of Stalino, now that the weather has change I should be able to push some reinforcements in here with ease. Going to try to attack on all fronts to add up as many points as possible, I am still at a draw in this game. Replacements are way down in these turns as I thought by now I would be defending Berlin. Only 1 mech. and 3 inf. replacements per front, still have some fire power though. I am still finding mistakes in the unit programing but this is best game I have every designed. My next attempt should be even better with all the problems ironed out. I hope the end will give me some idea what I did wrong with the AI to improve it as well. Hope to play tonight and finish the game this weekend.
U2 I have sent you 2 PM's have you received them?
Thanks!
tanker
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby tanker » Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:25 am

OMG turn 51, I am going to start at the bottom this time and work up. South of Stalino, Stalino and Kharhov are all stable now but a hard push for Izum has left a sizeable hole in the line. There was some attacks West of Bryansk that need some back up, the bulge South of Smolensk has not moved and a bulge East of Velikye Luki has been evacuated by the Russians. The big story is North of Smolensk, I had pushed out here to perhaps get the Russians to stop the attack South and maybe push toward Vyazma in the South and Rzhev in the North. Instead the Russians counterattacked and now I have 2 Panzer Divisions encircled Northeast of the city. The 7th Panzer and the 9th SS PzGr. Div. Hohenstaufen (or what is left of it) are trapped with a large gapping hole to the West. I still hold Smolensk but it does not look good, I do not want the larger force in the city trapped but now I don't know if I have the ability to counter attack in enough strength to stabilize the situation. Every time I think I have some room to attack I get pushed back hard. There are no reinforcements this turn or next, this is it. To bad I would like to continue and see if the Russian have enough to really turn things around on the Germans.
Thanks
tanker
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby tanker » Tue Mar 28, 2017 3:02 am

The end is here! Turns 51 and 52 did not amount to much, I was not able to save the 2 Panzer Divisions but did fill the holes so the Russians could not advance.
Conclusion;
the Germans destroyed 961 units for 13150 pts.
The Russians destroyed 679 units for 8713 pts.
Draw!
Now with the end screen and some looking into the program I see a lot of mistakes. More than half the Russian Armies are sitting far away from the front lines and have not advanced a step. About a third have yellow indicators for supply while the rest are green, even if they are next to each other. This is my first attempt at the AI but I must have been in to big a hurry to make so many mistakes. And I may have mentioned that this is a scenario of a battle which means the play map is smaller than the battle map, the OMG's did not shift with the smaller map so they are off by maybe ten spaces. And example would be that all the replacements of destroyed units for the Romanians should have appeared near Bucharest, instead they appeared South of the Danube in Bulgaria. Not on a road or rail but in the middle of nowhere. This could be part of the problem with the Russians. I made some corrections over the weekend and am thinking of starting again soon. But I am torn between doing another 52 turn game corrected this time or throwing myself into the 80 game idea I have been also working on. The 52 turn could have been a totally different game if I had programed it properly and playing it again could give insight to the 80 turn game.
Still even with its problems, mistakes and disappointments it was still one of the best games I have ever played.
Any in put is welcome
Thanks,tanker
tanker
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby Targ » Thu Mar 30, 2017 1:45 pm

Thank you for the updates :)
Targ
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby tanker » Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:46 am

Hello again, no tanker is not dead. But since my last post I have sold my house and moved into an apartment, my wife has semi-retired and working part time now plus my 4 year old grand son wants to go swimming with grandpa all the time.
I have finished my 80 turn version of east front and with winter coming on, I am thinking of giving it a go again. I see many people have had a look at my posts and was wondering if there are still people out there interested in my next project to help get me motivated.
I will start a new post if I can get myself going with enough interest. With the new apartment came cable channels I did not have before that have more programming about WWII, this has also given me some motivation.
With the house went all my chores so I hope to make more time for gaming, slow down alittle and enjoy life.
Thanks
Tanker
tanker
Sergeant
Sergeant

Previous

Return to Kharkov Scenario Design