East Front

Got an interesting idea about a new scenario design? ...or maybe you just need some help with the Scenario Editor; this is the place!

Moderators: Run5 Staff, SSG Staff

Re: East Front

Postby tanker » Sat Feb 18, 2017 1:11 am

Turn 35 is done! Hard push around Stalino and Marivpol, holding on by my finger tips. Things have cooled off at Kharkov somewhat but still a large presents there of Russian armor. Still back and forth at Smolensk, changed hands again. But my real problem is between Pskov and Velikye Luki, I was not able to completely close the hole from last turn with anything to strong so the Russian continued the brake through with units cutting the road/rail between Davgavpils and Velikye Luki. I have the 3 SS divisions from the last turn in position to cut off and encircle this spear head but I do not know if I have the reserves to complete the attack. There are 2 infantry divisions as reinforcements this turn but of course I will need to get them to the battle first. It will be turn 37 before they can help. With this happening my move on Leningrad is stalled till I am sure the situation is under control. Had some probing attacks here but nothing major from the Russians yet.
As I mentioned I will be on vacation next week, I plan to play as much as possible and start making up the next version of this game with 80 turns and an even stronger Russian AI. I am thinking of combining the Romanian and Italy units to free up another slot for 2 separate Russian opponents. This would give me even more Russian Armies to make an even stronger game. The Italian army leaves the game early so it would not effect the Romanians. I have set it up so the Romanians surrender once the Russians take a certain location just over their border. The Hungarians surrender with the taking of Budapest. As yet I have not represented the Romanian army going over to the Russian side but with this new idea I may be able to represent it. There should also be a Czech rebellion late in the war but I have not gotten the game to where I want it to try this yet.
Please let me know if you have any thoughts.
Thanks
tanker
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby tanker » Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:45 am

I am back and on turn 40! Still did not play as much as I wished but that's the way it goes. Not a lot of change, at the end of turn 38 the last turn of winter I was ready to have a go at Leningrad and maybe Moscow. I was so wrong, the Russians came on hard and fast retaking Pskov and threatening to encircle AGN. With hard pushes along the entire line I lost 36 units including 1 Panzer Division. Most of turn 39 was just pulling back to Narva in the north, retaking Pskov and stabilizing the rest of the front. I did pull back some more around Stalino but I got no reinforcements on turn 40, not sure if I made a mistake or historically correct. I would have to go back into my notes but this does not seem impossible. By the summer of 44 things should get tight for the Germans. With the Normandy invasion in June some of my units will disappear including armor. Even more so this coming winter of 44/45. Just 12 more turns to go and I hope to play them out as soon as possible.
I did work on the new game as well, hope with the end of this game I will have a better idea how to program the AI. With the longer game comes some changes. Now the German Inf. will slowly go from elite to Grenadier (average) to Volksgrenadier (poor). Units that are meant to be withdrawn or eliminated will do so gradually rather than boom they are gone (I hope). By using the unlimited, one life and KIA it may seem more realistic and won't come as such a shock.
Always thinking about the game, how to improve it, make it more interesting and accurate.
Let me know if you have any ideas, thanks
tanker
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby U2-fan » Fri Mar 03, 2017 5:40 pm

I just had to log in (not done so in years) to write that I read your posts. Nice work! Please keep it up.
U2-fan
Private
Private

Postby tanker » Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:54 pm

After being on vacation last week I have been playing catch up at work plus some family matters that need attention. I completed turn 40, decided to patch holes and wait for turn 41. It is now July of 44, I lost several divisions transferred to the West. But I have a large influx of new divisions that need to go into the line as soon as possible. These are the 500 series of Grenadier divisions that are of average experience but will start turning into Volksgrenadier units with in the next few turns. So I will have to place them carefully. My losses are minimal so far but with only two more summer turns this could change. Plan to play more this weekend but with the weather so nice I could get distracted. I was wrong I did get some reinforcements in turn 40, one inf. division, a cavalry Brigade and a Sec. Division.
U2 thanks for the message, nice to know someone is out there listening to me. Any input is welcome.
Thanks
tanker
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby tanker » Tue Mar 07, 2017 12:22 am

Turn 42 now, do not have the divisions I received in 41 in position yet and lost afew more transferred out. The north is holding though Smolensk has changed hands to the Russians again. In the south, a small break through north of Kharhov and a larger one aimed at Izum in the south that will need attention. And the Russians may enter Stalino next turn. As for reinforcements I am getting the Herman Goering Panzer div., the 19th Panzer div. and the 510th Tiger Abt. I will have to decide where to put these to counter attack or patch up the line. Still interesting with just 10 more turns to go.
I did work on my next idea over the weekend for a bit. Does anyone know if there is a limit to the amount of counters or units to the game. Formations are getting up there as well, is it possible to over whelm the AI? I do not want to do all this work and have it crash. I did split the Russians into 2 separate groups so I have been making up new armies (or formations) to strengthen them even more. Any help you could give me would be great.
Thanks
tanker
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby JSS » Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:42 am

Don't recall running up against any hard limits for total number of units/formations.

There where small limits (units per division, etc...) and the graphics gifs had hard limits for certain things, such as number of unit identifier patches, types of units... these were hard limits in BiN/BII and more flexible but still limited in Kharkov IIRC. Solution used was simply to split forces and create another "country"... this essentially doubled number of patches/unit types limited by graphics.

The biggest scenarios in BII ran into a practical limit of how much RAM processing was needed to load a large map and do a very large number of calculations... this could cause long pauses while the game figured out things (problem being that my computer's available RAM was too small for what the game needed at that point).
JSS
Site Admin

Postby tanker » Thu Mar 09, 2017 3:12 am

Thanks for the response JSS, I have split the Russians in my new game to two countries. I have made 17 new armies in the second slot and will be putting in a lot more to represent as much of the Russian army as I can. These new units are Rifle Armies with little or no armor with artillery units as well. I am adding in a lot more artillery units in this game. And yes it takes about 5 to 8 minutes for the AI to complete a turn but at least it does not crash. So with these additions it could double that.
On to turn 42, in the north I surrounded and destroyed 8 Russian units. They were a mix of armor and infantry units with some Guards and some regular troops. I must have triggered something though, when I advanced to do this I got a sharp counter attack in the Russians turn. With smaller attacks further south of Velikye Luki. At Kharkov north of the city is holding but I still have problems here to the south with a large break through toward Izum. I have armor there but little infantry to hold them back. The Russians are in the suburbs of Stalino but I should be able to hold, maybe! 43 is the last summer move then winter again. I have some support coming up this turn, the 25th Pz and the 22 Inf. return with 117th Jager, 27th Waffen SS Inf., 271st VG and the Brandenburg PzGr. Divs. If I have not mentioned before all these unit on the German side have their unit insignia if I could find them and reproduce them. The few I could not find are just numbers but the map looks amazing with all the units and the ability to tell which units belongs with each division. This has been the best experience I have ever had with a game I have designed. I thought it would be to big or to boring to move so many units but even moving reinforcements by train has had me thinking and plotting my next moves.
Thanks!
tanker
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby tanker » Sat Mar 11, 2017 12:07 am

In turn 43 I again destroyed 10 Russian units without weakening myself much. On the Russian turn they did not advance any further, the sharp counter attack just stopped south of Pskov. In the south at Izum they broke through again then backed off. A small push at Stalino and half the city was lost, may try to counter attack and get this back. I have been pushed completely out of Smolensk but now that the line is stable on both sides I might be able to counter attack here as well. The Russians do not seem to take full advantage of these breakthroughs. Maybe I made the area op's too big but I will change that in the next game anyway and see if it makes a difference. Turn 44 is the beginning of the winter of 1944, the Russians have better CRT's and the Germans have not so good CRT's. Plus Volksgrenadier units are starting to come on the map, this will weaken the defense also. Just afew more turns till the end, I plan to play as much as possible this weekend. The weather is turning bad so I may be stuck inside anyway.
Thanks
tanker
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby Targ » Sun Mar 12, 2017 4:36 pm

Thank you for posting this and I am very interested in what you are working on!
Targ
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby tanker » Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:01 am

Thanks, it has been fun sharing my scenario.
Turn 45 now, I have been building up forces to retake Smolensk but that is exactly where the Russians attacked in turn 44. Should get interesting I hope. Some small attacks on both sides of Kharkov but nothing major. The real push was made North of Stalino, lost about 8 units here and this time the Russians stayed in strength. I will need to move some units here from other parts of the front as not much has shown up for reinforcement. 2 Waffen SS Grenadier divisions, the H. and D. Grenadier Division and a KG of the 10th PzGr. division (1 regiment) is about it. The divisions South of Stalino have been fighting for some time now and are starting to show some weakness. They have a river and hills to defend from so they could hold on till spring.
Did work on the new idea over the weekend as well. I am seeing a lot of Stug and Jadg Battalions in the currant game I just can not reinforce to strength so I may limit some of them to one life in this game. The Russians will be twice as big as the currant one so maybe these units will be needed just to hold them back.
7 more to go
Thanks
tanker
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby tanker » Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:59 pm

Turn 46, I did counter attack and retake Smolensk the Russians pushed back and have thrusts both north and south of the city. I beefed up around Stalino but the Russians are still pushing hard here and now at Kharkov again. I also lost an entire division to a push West of Kursk! Have not seen much here before now but it could get worse as there are no roads or rail in this area to reinforce from.
As for reinforcements I received the 33rd Waffen SS division(2 regiments), 9th Fallschirmjager, 16th SS RFSS PaGr. division, the FFB Brigade, the rebuilt 21st Pz. division, the 286th Inf. Div. and 4 heavy battalions of tanks and tank destroyers.
All these arrive by train which brings up something I did not mention before. Since June the number of trains available to the Germans has been reduced to represent the heavy bombing Germany is taking from the Allies. If you have an opinion as to when this reduction should of started please let me know, I would like this game to be as accurate as possible.
Keep getting closer to the end, I am both glad and sad. I can't wait to see the Russian positions so I might be able to program the AI better. Of course this would have been a completely different game if it were two people playing I think.
Thanks
tanker
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby U2-fan » Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:04 am

I would like to play PBEM against you if you'd like.
U2-fan
Private
Private

Postby tanker » Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:37 am

Thank you for the offer and please believe me I wish I could. I do not have access to the internet except here at work and it does not look like I will be able to afford it any time soon. I should also add I have never played anyone else in any game ever. I watch the forums and it seems people are not playing to enjoy the game but to win at any cost. I read a lot of smack and cheating seems to be a problem. This is why I have not spent nearly the time on the Russian units as the German. It is the historic side that I am trying to recreate not a win, lose situation. To all those out there that play for the love of the game I salute you! I have played table top games, micro armor games, fantasy games, colonial games and board games. Avalon hill had the best games and I have tried to recreate them as well in my scenarios. But the people I played with have moved on or moved away. You have a family and it just is to hard to find the time. Not to mention the expense, to also find the time to build and paint armies just got to be to much. I now sit in front of my computer and do it for myself. I don't know why I started the forum, I guess to see if there are any more nuts like me fascinated with the Russo-German war. But to contradict myself, I do have a next project in mind, to move the map west. To recreate the very last years of the war starting with the Normandy invasion and the race to Berlin. This I could even see as a 3 player game, Allies, Russian and German. But here again I don't have a clue how many people would be interested in this game.
I plan to play tonight and have a report tomorrow, the weekend looks busy but I will try to do another turn by Monday.
Thanks for letting me ramble on.
tanker
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby tanker » Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:30 am

On turn 47 now, getting closer to the end. In the north nothing at Narva, will have to look into this after the game. At Pskov Russians still attacking but I have them stopped for now. When I retook Smolensk I attacked from the North of the city. This created a bulge, so now the Russians have abandoned the city to attack the bulge. Also a smaller attack south of Smolensk will have to be dealt with as well. An attack Northwest of Bryansk is also developing, I will try to move more troops here as well. The attack West of Kursk has retreated, I should say I pulled back and they stopped attacking. Kharkov has attacks on both sides of it but nothing major yet. There is a small break out toward Izum and a small break out between Stalino and Marivpol. The big news is Stalino, the Russians have broken through on the North side of the city. There is a 3 hex gap in the line that will have to be filled. Luckily I sent most of my reinforcements this direction at the end of 46. I have a lot of reinforcements this turn but they are the odd ducks if you will. Not sure but I might have made these units far stronger than they actually were. 269th Gr., 25th PzGr., 13th Waffen SS, Stettin Static, Kurmark PzGr., 118th Jager, 28th Waffen SS, Frankfurt Static, Hostein Pz., and the 12th SS PzGr. HJ. I will try to patch up the line one more time and see how the Russians react.
Thanks
tanker
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby tanker » Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:42 am

Turn 48 and 49 now, not much to report. About the same movement by the Russians except I pushed back all along the line where I could. I am still holding on by my finger tips south of Stalino but have retaken the city itself. I have decided to go for broke and just keep pushing. This is the last winter turn and I will have 3 summer turns to force my will on the Russians. Still getting reinforcements, the 1st SS PzGr. div. returns with the 2nd Feldherrhalle Pz. Div. and an assortment of infantry divisions (3). Last chance for the Russians to do something but I think they may be to weak for much as I did destroy another 10 units in turn 48 around Velikye Luki. Several more taking back Stalino and some north and south of Bryansk. Smolensk is still a hot spot but again I think I have taken too much away to be a threat here. But I have been wrong before. 3 more to go!
Thanks
tanker
Sergeant
Sergeant

PreviousNext

Return to Kharkov Scenario Design