New Scenario

Got an interesting idea about a new scenario design, or maybe you just need some help with the Scenario Editor.

Moderators: AlexS, Run5 Staff, SSG Staff

Re: New Scenario

Postby Abwehr » Tue Nov 04, 2014 3:45 am

The engine can become unstable due to a variety of reasons, one of the most common causes is the presence of minefields or fortifications at the edge of the map. There are only a handful of those in your scenario, near Stalingrad, so I doubt that's causing the problem. I think the scenario is simply so big that sometimes the engine can handle it and sometimes it can't.
Abwehr
Colonel
Colonel

Postby tanker » Tue Nov 18, 2014 12:03 am

Sorry it took so long to get back to you. On turn 8 now, did get into the Crimea but just short of Leningrad, Kharkov and Moscow. This is the 1st winter turn and my supply situation is not good. I am now debating if I should set till Spring of 42 and attack Leningrad and Moscow, then wait to try for Stalingrad in the Spring of 43. Or I can continue to attack and take one or both. My Panzers are gray and out of reach of replacements so I am a little cautious of what to do next. After all the Russian will only get stronger from here! I have taken more losses than the last game so I am not as secure in my defense right now as I would like. With the addition of heavy river penalties I am considering engineers with pontoons in the next version to ease supply somewhat.
Thanks!
tanker
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby tanker » Tue Dec 02, 2014 12:09 am

Turn 15 now, May of 42. I did manage to take Leningrad over the winter months but my spear head to Moscow failed. Both flanks were attacked so I backed off. Right now it is quiet in the North, Center I am hoping to launch an attack on Moscow as soon as Tula is in my hands hopefully this turn. In the South my forces are just now approaching Stalino and Kharkov is in my hands. I have had supply problems in the Crimea so it is still a slug match. The partisans are airdropping correctly this game so much of my security forces have been busy with them as well as strongpoints left behind by the Russians. Already have a page of notes to work on with the next version. I have lost one Panzer and one motorized division. Losses have been heavy but I have the Italian 8th Army coming next turn. From here though my replacement divisions will be weaker and less experienced. Still hope to take Moscow this summer and shoot for Stalingrad next summer.
tanker
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby tanker » Tue Dec 16, 2014 8:05 am

Holidays have had me busy but I am on turn 18 now. I have taken half the city of Moscow including the objective point, most of my armor had to be concentrated to get this far. I have attacks on both flanks again, much bigger breakthroughs this time. Have not moved much in the South and now I am also getting counter attacks around Leningrad. Unfortunately I used my motorized divisions too much and I have lost 2 of them. Since these units cannot be reconstituted I will have fewer Panzer Grenadier divisions in the future, if any. My losses are certainly beginning to add up but it has stayed interesting. Winter will be exciting to see if I will have the strength to keep my gains and move on Stalingrad next summer.
My time has also been taken up because my wife got me Battlefront for early Christmas. If only I had some of the options in the Italy program that comes with this game! If I had the withdraw order I think that alone would make for a more realistic game. A lot of these units were withdrawn for rebuild or sent to the West, Norway or Finland. Same is true of the unlimited life and the off board replacement, just makes me wonder what I could do.
Still I plan to carry on, I will be off for 2 weeks over Christmas and New Years so I may not get back to you before the 5th of January. Unless I find some time to play more than one or two turns this week.
Happy Holidays!
tanker
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby tanker » Wed Jan 07, 2015 4:37 am

I am back to work and I think I need a vacation from my vacation. Lots of distractions from family but I did get to play some. However on turn 22, the game crashed and I could not get it back. Since people were also having trouble with it I started over completely. Creating a new game, I transferred the map, units, terrain and everything else. Before I had not cleaned up the North and South edges of terrain, rivers, roads and railroads. Now I hope it would be able to save for anyone willing to try or try again. I have also gone back to the website for more information on each formation. I got the idea from Battlefront that if I could find a way to withdraw units that historically did so, it might make the game more real and interesting. Looking up each and every unit did prove to me to make changes. Some of the units in my original list never fought on the eastern front. Some were withdrawn only to return, some many times like the 1st SS LAH division. I have two areas on the east side of the board to send the withdrawing units. The new list is about done, just the last few months of the war to go. I have also cut the number of turns again! Now it is down to 34! Any input would be great.
Thanks
tanker
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby tanker » Wed Jan 07, 2015 4:39 am

Sorry meant West side of the board.
tanker
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby nikdav » Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:23 pm

Any update ?
nikdav
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby tanker » Wed Jun 24, 2015 1:42 am

Yes I have completed all the changes I wanted to do then experienced some burn out. I have new ideas I have been working on but not ready to discuss them yet. The game does play but I have not touched it for awhile. If anyone is interested let me know and I will be glad to get another opinion on what I have done so far. And I was kind of waiting to see if there still was some interest out there.
Thanks for the email!
tanker
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby nikdav » Mon Jun 29, 2015 5:20 am

Yesterday I reinstall korsun and BII, and if possible i should be interested to test your scenario !
nikdav
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby tanker » Tue Jun 30, 2015 12:54 am

No problem I sent you an email to confirm, anyone else interested in trying it out please let me know.
I played about 3 turns and already found some problems but they have been corrected. I hope to play more this weekend but I will need to start over again. Time now is at a premium as my grandson is now 2 years old and a hand full. Will try to update more.
Thanks!
tanker
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby nikdav » Thu Jul 02, 2015 5:48 am

Thanks for the download!
the scenario is impressive ! it need a real day for every turn.
I use windows 10 Technical preview and had some issue with the engine, i must try with my old Vista PC !
nikdav
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby tanker » Thu Jul 02, 2015 6:38 am

Yes I am by no means a computer expert but hopefully you will be able to play with out crashing. This has always been a dream of mine since the old Avlon Hill board games of my youth to build a Russian front game. There are plenty out there but I prefer the SSG game system over all others.
Good luck and let me know how you like it.
tanker
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby nikdav » Sat Jul 04, 2015 5:55 am

I also dream a full Ost Front scenario at divisional/regiment level without too micromanagement (click,click,click...), but till now there is no chance. I made Barbarossa 41 as user scenario for the wargame "Unity of Command" , but only at korps level the AI is acceptable. This wargame is interesting and the editor is very friendly, but the dream is a big OstFront map ssg style and a new ssg engine !
nikdav
Sergeant
Sergeant

Previous

Return to DBWWII Scenario Design