Stalingrad

Looking for an opponent for a PBEM game of Kharkov?

Moderators: Run5 Staff, SSG Staff

Stalingrad

Postby Noakesy » Sun Aug 29, 2010 8:23 pm

Would be interested in trying this out, prefer to play German if anyone is interested? :D

Cheers
Image ImageImage
Noakesy
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Abwehr » Sun Aug 29, 2010 9:42 pm

Sure Andrew, send me a setup of the variant where the Soviet brigades have lives and we can get started.
Abwehr
Colonel
Colonel

Postby pete AU » Sun Aug 29, 2010 11:04 pm

This should be a good match-up.

Abwher playing soviets against his favoured side - calculating and devastating when he finds a chink in your armour. Noaksey a good sport and gentleman gamer but a solid strategist - both guys some of my favourite opponents.

Love to see the odd screenie.

Game on!
History is an argument without end
Projects - Iskra (available to download), Stalingrad Pocket (ver101 finished and available to download), Guadalcanal (map done), Guadalajara (playtesting - volounteers?), Napoleonic Borodino (volounteers?)
ImageImageImageImage Image Image
pete AU
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Noakesy » Mon Aug 30, 2010 2:44 am

pete AU wrote:Love to see the odd screenie

...depends how nasty it gets for me :wink: :D
Image ImageImage
Noakesy
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Abwehr » Mon Aug 30, 2010 4:26 am

I've decided to go with a more unorthodox opening, risking losses to kill units crucial to the German cause (attacking at unfavourable odds, but with a special attack). I've killed 2 Panzer battalions, the 60th Motorised one and 14th Panzer (that's the unorthodox opening). It's the Panzer battalions that make German concentrations dangerous. Without Panzer battalions, the Germans become a lot less scary.

Romanian losses were fairly light as I diverted forces to hit the Germans, but it's the German losses that matter in the end, not the Romanian losses. Some Romanians will probably be out of supply and if they move, they die.

There's a Tank Corps in Lipovski facing 22nd Panzer. I've advised Noakesy to move 22nd Panzer away from the flanks, as even with double dice odds risking 22nd Panzer now will do more harm to his cause than the losses 22nd Panzer can inflict will do to me.
Abwehr
Colonel
Colonel

Postby pete AU » Wed Sep 01, 2010 2:58 am

Hows it going boys. Noaksey told me he's taking a beating. Any hope for him Ab.
History is an argument without end
Projects - Iskra (available to download), Stalingrad Pocket (ver101 finished and available to download), Guadalcanal (map done), Guadalajara (playtesting - volounteers?), Napoleonic Borodino (volounteers?)
ImageImageImageImage Image Image
pete AU
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Noakesy » Wed Sep 01, 2010 4:35 am

Well, it's the first time I've played more than 3 turns, so I'm hoping that if it is early curtains I'll get an offer to 'start again' :oops: :wink: :D
Image ImageImage
Noakesy
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Abwehr » Wed Sep 01, 2010 5:23 am

Starting over is not a problem at all, the scenario takes some getting used to.

With some setups, it's very difficult to win as the Germans, with others it's virtually impossible to win as the Soviets.

In the first four turns, I've lost 51st Army HQ (I left it in its starting hex without a supporting unit, Andrew shelled it. As it was still early, it luckily didn't slow me down much), 3rd Guards Cavalry Corps (at Kalach, easily killed by German mobile forces, but their sacrifice was worth keeping Kalach in my hands), a Tank brigade (in the same stack as 3rd Guards Cavalry Corps, it surrendered so won't be coming back) 2 Tank regiments (two step units are extremely vulnerable), a Rifle division and one of those area defence brigades.

Andrew's losses have been substantial in the first 4 turns (I'm not entirely sure what I killed on turn 4 so the list might be incomplete):

3rd Motorised Infantry division's artillery regiment.
60th Motorised Infantry division's recon and Panzer battalions.
16th Motorised Infantry division's AT and recon battalions.
29th Motorised Infantry division's AT and recon battalions, as well as both PzG regiments (they were KIA'ed normally so they'll come back).
1 Corps artillery unit.
14th Panzer division's Panzer battalion and artillery regiment.
KG Simons.
KG Lepper.
A StuG battalion.
A bicycle battalion.
44th Infantry division's AT battalion.
113th Infantry division, I believe one regiment will come back, the other surrendered. The second regiment isn't listed as KIA or reappearing in my OOB.
76th Infantry division's infantry regiments. I believe one will come back, not entirely sure.
22nd Panzer's artillery and PzG regiment.
A regiment of the 294th Infantry division.
XI Korps HQ.
A bunch of Romanians, although not as many as I would've liked. 3rd Army HQ's amongst the casualties, as is the iron crosses unit and the engineers (killed when 1st Guards Army captured Bokovskaya).

My Tank Corps losses have been minimal thus far, primarily because I haven't really been engaged except by a single attack on turn one at double dice which rolled A4-* and another KIA was added for defensive fire, unfortunately for Andrew.

The forces near Stalingrad might be cut off, there's no land link but the burst might still be good enough to carry supply to the area.

With so many mobile forces gone, the future looks grim for the Germans.

Soviet AO's seem to be set to "All" again, so the Germans can turn the village at 33,9 into another Lannaya with a single hedgehogged infantry regiment. Even though I have forces from 21st Army and 24th Army in the area, I can't attack the hex at any odds.
Abwehr
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Noakesy » Wed Sep 01, 2010 6:36 am

Oops, I should have read this before I took my turn, some interesting comments :roll: However, the Germans continue their gallant if futile defence, and I'm gradually, slowly, eventually figuring out what I should be doing (maybe :wink: )

Very nice scenario, pete.

Cheers
Image ImageImage
Noakesy
Colonel
Colonel

Postby jjdenver » Thu Sep 02, 2010 3:44 am

What does the Iron Crosses unit do exactly? I saw it but wasn't sure what it should be used for.
jjdenver
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby Noakesy » Thu Sep 02, 2010 3:52 am

jjdenver wrote:What does the Iron Crosses unit do exactly? I saw it but wasn't sure what it should be used for.

I asked Pete the same thing, and he gave me the following note (not that it's helped me much I'm afraid :cry: in fact I may have to start again to give Abwehr a chance of winning more easily............although I have my doubts that this is possible :wink: )

The red banner and iron cross 'counters'

Represent heroic actions common on the front. Essentially they are part of the higher level HQ and use their crt shifts over the lower level crt shifts - they will add 2-4 shifts in a combat.

Red banner - like a human wave in 'enemy at the gates'
Iron cross - like Steiners battalion in 'cross of iron'
Image ImageImage
Noakesy
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Abwehr » Thu Sep 02, 2010 5:13 am

As you can see when you select them, some higher level HQ's give better shifts than lower level HQ's.

The iron crosses/red banner support are Pete's ingenious way of giving units not belonging to that higher HQ the better shifts (the game always uses the best shift modifier, even if only a single unit out of a handful of units involved in the attack belongs to that higher HQ). Essentially, you'll be attacking as if all the units in the attack belong to the higher HQ.
Abwehr
Colonel
Colonel

Postby jjdenver » Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:52 pm

I'd be interested in seeing some more strategy notes/tips from the guys who've tried this one. I'm thinking of getting it going in a PBEM game with Noaksey since we just finished our Novorossisk game.

Thanks
jjdenver
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby Abwehr » Sun Sep 12, 2010 12:16 am

Tips for which side?
Abwehr
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Noakesy » Sun Sep 12, 2010 12:46 am

Abwehr wrote:Tips for which side?

Well, I'd welcome either :wink: :lol: