Kharkov AAR 2 Final Spuddy Soviets

Looking for an opponent for a PBEM game of Kharkov?

Moderators: Run5 Staff, SSG Staff

Postby Talos » Fri Oct 30, 2009 6:05 am

Kharkov German Turn 7

Soviet forces are now generally taking up defensive positions, with a few local counter attacks being thrown in to try and keep the German forces off balance.

Northern Area
Soviet forces of the 21st, 28th and 38th Armies and the attached cavalry corps have switched over to the defensive apart from one lone attack in the south by the 38th Army. Against a regiment of the 297th Division which is destroyed before i start to rebuild it, a heavy arty and air bombardment do significant damage to the 522nd Regiment of the 297th Division before Soviet hordes launch a mass wave attack which eventually wears down the defenders.
Turn 7 Start North
The Soviet attack has left a number of regiments un-entrenched which are ripe for a counter attack. The 3rd PZ plus elements of the 51st Korps launch successive attacks proceeded by strong by strong arty bombardments, which result in the loss of 4 rifle regiments. Focus then turns to a lone rifle regiment and AT Bn, which is hit with two mortar attacks and an air attack which all succeed, destroying the regiment in question and then a follow on ground attack destroys the AT Bn.

The infantry regiments of the the 79th, 294th and 71st divisions refit along with the bulk of the 23rd PZ divisions in the vicinity of Kharkov.

As the the bulk of the 3rd PZ moves into the Chuguyev pocket another attacking opportunity is noticed against a lone rifle regiment. This opportunity is taken and the final regiment of the 199th is destroyed (38th Army now has very few troops left under its command). The rest of the pocket is scouted out, and it is noted that all Soviet forces have vacated the premises and headed south to try and stop the drive of the 1st Pz Army. This will lead to a major potential opportunity next turn as i maybe able to launch Fredricus from the north and south at the same time and close the pocket on all the forces to the west, with this in mind units of the 23rd Pz that were not refitting move into the vicinity of the Chuguyev pocket as well and hope Soviet intelligence will have an off day.
Turn 7 End North
Further to the north the German air force appears and a successful carpet bombing attack results in the destruction of two arty units.
Turn 7 Kills North
Central Area
The Soviet 6th Army holds the river line and entrenches, but the attached Tank Corps are with drawn from the front for a unknown destination.
Turn 7 Start Center
As Soviet forces seem content to hold the river line, some judicious units shuffling occurs along the river as well as reinforcements and strong points being placed.
Turn 7 End Center
Turn 7 Kills Center
Further south about Perechipino Soviet forces have launched a surprise counter attack catching a regiment of the 389th Division unaware.
Turn 7 Start South west
German forces launch a counter attack and destroy a rifle regiment, but not much else is possible due to the massive amount of Soviet interdiction in the vicinity. Due to the retreat of the Soviet forces 11th Korps is sent back to the vicinity of the Soviet 57th Army.
Turn 7 End South west
Turn 7 Kills South west
Southern Area
It seems all available alert forces and front units have moved to guard the river line in front of Izyum, but otherwise not to much from the Soviet forces in the south as they continue to dig in.
Turn 7 Start South east
The 44th Korps rests and refits this turn, but the 1st Pz Army again attacks some Soviet forces long the river and a number of low odds attacks sees the destruction of the last regiment of the 347th Division and the Southern front engineer unit.
Turn 7 End South east
Turn 7 Kills South east
This turn in general has been a good turn for German forces as Soviet forces in a couple of places are now starting to show signs of cracking. End of turn VP's are 842 to the Soviets which is slightly less than it was last turn so the plan for staying below the 1,000 mark is heading in the right direction.
Turn 7 VP's
Talos
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby Spuddy64 » Sat Oct 31, 2009 6:36 am

This turn brought to light an issue that is sure to hurt any chance I might have had to defend Izyum. When the 9th Army HQ respawns in the OMA section, it's only entry points on the map are outside of it's AO. This is not a problem on the turn it respawns, but the following turn the game cant have the HQ outside it's AO so it decided to teleport it to Barevenkovo. (sp) The problem with this is now control of Barevenkovo will not switch over this turn, and all of my troops on the southwest portion of the map are stuck there and connot move north to help defens Izyum.

This may seem like a minor issue, but it forces me to either abandon Izyum or try to defend with 1/3 of the troops. I decided to try and defend, and next turn you will see the terrible results of me doing so.
Spuddy64
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby Talos » Sat Oct 31, 2009 8:38 am

Kharkov German Turn 8

Very little now from Soviets forces as they have entirely reverted to defensive tactics.

Northern Area
Soviet forces of the 21st, 28th and 38th Armies and the attached cavalry corps have entirely switched over to the defensive.
Turn 8 Start North
As all is quite in the north and the center operation Fredricus is launched from both the north and south. Elements of the 51st Korps clear a path through the Soviet defensive positions after which the 3rd and 23rd Pz steam through the gap and head south to link with the 1st Pz Army coming north and so form a pocket for all Soviet forces to the west.
Turn 8 End North
Central Area
The Soviet 6th Army has entirely reverted to the defensive and just holds along the river line.
Turn 8 Start Center
As the Soviets seem entirely focused on defensive duties, troops of 8th Korps and AGS start scouting out the Soviet positions to the south, noting the troops of 6th Army are hold up in a fairly small perimeter. A Soviet arty unit is spotted, so the heavy mortar of 8th Korps is moved into range and its fire destroys the Soviet unit.
Turn 8 End Center
Further south about Perechipino Soviet forces have fallen back to the river line and so not much progress is made this turn and 17th Army forces just move forward to this line and will prepare to engage next turn with the help of the the 6th Romanian Korps.
Turn 8 Start south west
Turn 8 End south west
Southern Area
Units of 57th Army attacked the defensive positions to the west of Barvenkovo and cause heavy casualties to some troops of 11th Korps, bit otherwise all remains quite.

The defensive line to the west against 57th Army is reinforced with fresh unit, while the bulk of 1st Pz Army prepares to start operation Fredricus from the south.
Turn 8 Start South east
The plan for 1st Pz is to hit the line about the destroyed bridge along the main road to Izuym and recapture and repair it prior to this a bridging unit will set up a temporary crossing point at the hex where Soviet units have been destroyed over the previous turns. After this units will drive onto Izyum and link up with the units of 6th Army heading south from the Chuguyev pocket.

A series of attacks and arty bombardments are used to clear the way through the initial line of Soviet defenses, though this is not with out cost as several German regiments are reduced to one step, but the way is cleared and the mechanised units move onto the defenders of Izyum alone tank brigade. The tank brigade is attacked and severely damaged and is forced to retreat with one step remaining, it is then finished off with a follow up attack. Izyum is captured but not occupied and the 1st Pz Army links up with the German forces coming of Chuguyev pocket.
Turn 8 End South east
The remaining SW front forces (15GRD and 102nd RD) are caught in the giant pocket and I will expect to gradually eliminate them over the coming turns. This will also reduce the supply to the troops in the pocket to a trickle from the two forward supply dumps at Krasnopavlovka and Pervomayskiy. These two places will probable form my next targets if possible as reducing the supply to nothing will make my life a lot easier when attacking these pocketed forces and also make life easier for the 17th Army attacking from the south as supply, attack bullets and movement will all be restricted. Next turn will be to complete my encirclement and entrench units along the corridor both from the north and south and probable push west with one or both Pz divisions from the 6th Army which will be reinforced with the 305th ID from defensive duties against the Soviet 6th Army along the river, though a recon unit will probable be used to capture ground to the east and slow up the deployment of any Soviet reserve forces. 1st Pz Army will divert a PZ division to west also against the 57th Army if it continues to try and push east. Elsewhere i will start moving the 79th and 294th Divisions from about Kharkov into the Chuguyev pocket in order for it to head east and try and capture Kupyansk as long a Soviet forces do not attack in the north.
Turn 8 Kills south east
This turn in general has been another good turn for German forces as a giant pocket has been formed about Soviet forces to the west. The end of turn VP's lead is 812 to the Soviets which is slightly less than it was last turn so the plan for staying below the 1,000 mark is heading in the right direction.
Talos
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby Spuddy64 » Wed Nov 04, 2009 1:45 am

Watching the turn 8 replay I notice that units from both the 3rd and 23rd Panzer Divisions are involved in Talos's attack linking up witht he forces of 3rd Moterized and 1st Panzer. I have 2 ground interidctions and 1 air so I decide maybe it is time to go back on the offensive in the Kharkov area. I know that I no longer have enough troops in the north to mount a full scale offensive, but I should be able to knock off a few defenders and retreat before the Panzer return to punish me. her is a pic of the attack that claimed a Regiment and supporting Batt. of the defending Germans

I also have an image of my defenses in the Lannaya and Krasongrad area. Will I have enough to hold off the Wiking force until the end?
Only time will tell.
Spuddy64
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby Talos » Wed Nov 04, 2009 6:31 am

Kharkov German Turn 9

The attack out of the Chuguyev pocket last turn by the Pz Divisions has provoked a reaction out of the Soviet forces as they make one last desperate attempt to breech German defenses in the north and south of the map.

Northern Area
Soviet forces of the 21st, 28th and 38th Armies and the 3rd cavalry corps have launched one last desperate attack which takes the troops of 51st Korps entirely by surprise. The attack results in the loss of two infantry regiments of 44th Division, but the Pzjager Bn holds out by fireing furiously over open sites and stops the attack in its tracks, despite being vastly out numbered.
Turn 9 Start North
No attacks have been launched to reopen the pocket to the south about Izyum so I can afford to pull one of the Pz Divisions out and sent it north, in addition the 305th Division is pulled in from the Borki front and the refitting troop at Kharkov also join the fray. I am also lucky that the bulk of the arty for 6th Army and the attacked Korps are also at full strength, which should make the forth coming attacks that much easier.

The attacks start with arty and air bombardments and then the attacks led by the armour of the 23rd Pz and Stug Bn's begin their assaults. By the time it has finished the attacks result in Soviet loses of one armour brigade, two cavalry regiments and five rifle regiments, further north units of the 29th Korps combines to destroy another rifle regiment.
Turn 9 End North
Soviet loses mean that the 38th Army is now down to the effective of one rifle divisions and one tank brigade plus the arty, 3rd Cavalry Corps is down to 3 cavalry regiments and the attached infantry brigade and 28th Army is not much better off, the only northern army that is really still combat effective is the 21st Army, this should make life easier now for the German forces in the north.
Turn 9 Kills North
In the Chuguyev pocket elements of 51st Korps reduce Soviet strong points along most of the perimeter.

Central Area
The Soviet 6th Army is still on the defensive, though the amount of troops along the front line has been reduced, though there is a slight probe towards Zimev.
Turn 9 Start Center
As there is an un-entrenched rifle regiment along the front next to Zimev, an attack is launched preceded by an arty bombardment which results in its destruction.
Turn 9 End Center

Further south about Perechipino Soviet forces have again fallen back to probable their final defensive lines before I can start my attack, 17th Army continues to push forward and is joined by the 6th Romanian Corps.
Turn 9 Start South west
As 17th Army pushes forward, Wiking and the units of the 113th Division are sent around the flank of the Soviet Defensive position so they can attack from the west. To the east the Romanian Corps destroys two cavalry regiments and then continues to push forward along the flank of the German advance. Also arty units of AG Bobkin are discovered and despite several attacks by air and arty only one units is destroyed.
Turn 9 End South west

Southern Area
Units of 57th Army again attack the defensive positions to the west of Barvenkovo, but do not cause any major casualties. To the north the 21st Tank Corps and other units dig-in west of Izyum and the 9th Army units seem to have vanished into the distance apart from 3 regiments stuck against the river.
Turn 9 Start South east
1st Pz Army, 3rd Motorised Korps, 44th Korps and the attached 3rd Pz Division have a number of objectives this turn, they are to expand the area controlled by German forces so making the pocket depth deeper, start reducing the remaining defenses west of Izyum, destroy units of the 57th Army and push out the German area of control to the east in the 44th Korps region.

First of all 3rd Pz recon expands the area of control to the east, all the way to the river line, before returning and entrenching with the rest of 3rd PZ along the major river to stop Soviet forces breaking out to th east, in addition units of 3rd Pz destroy a lone arty unit of the 15GRD all on its own. The attached units of 1st Pz Army destroy a number of the entrenched defenders to the west of Izyum (3 rifle regiments and a AA unit). Finally units of 1st Pz attack to the west against 57th Army, which is preceded by a massive arty bombardment, the attack destroys 8 rifle regiments of 57th Army and damages numerous others as well. The main problem now is that 1st Pz Army really needs to rest for a turn a most units are now out of attack supply.
Turn 9 End South east
Units of 44th Korps entrench east of Izyum, while the bulk of the forces attack the three rifle regiments by the river, but do not really achieve anything.
Turn 9 Kills South east
This turn in general has been another good turn for German forces as a large number of Soviet units have been destroyed brining the VP total down to 137, Soviet loses include 18 Rifle Regiments, 1 Tank Brigade, 4 Cavalry Regiments, 2 Arty Regiments and a AA Bn. Also i will need to launch as many attacks as i can now while the weather is good as for the last four turns of the game, three show overcast weather which is not good for German air power.
Turn 9 VP Total
Talos
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby Spuddy64 » Thu Nov 05, 2009 11:48 pm

here is an image of the defensive situation around Lannaya for turn 10. With not enough troops to defend both Borki and Krasnograd properly I am forced to make the best of what I have. Every instinct that I have tells me to retreat away from these cities, but my only chance of staying close with Talos requires that I try and hold them. By doing so I will either lose by a small margain, or get waxed. In retrospect, knowing how good my opponent is, I should have understood that the latter was the only outcome possible.
Spuddy64
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby Talos » Fri Nov 06, 2009 4:34 am

Kharkov German Turn 10

After the mauling Soviet forces took last turn especially in the north, most of the map is quite apart from some attacks in the south which destroy some German units. German forces will now try and press there advantage ruthlessly across the entire map.

Northern Area
Soviet forces of the 21st, 28th and 38th Armies and the 3rd cavalry corps have all retreated to their pre-attack positions prior to their great offensive.
Turn 10 Start North
As the bulk of the northern forces has retreated, the German continue to destroy the defensive belt of strong points to the east of the Chuguyev pocket as well as a lone Soviet rifle regiment. Also a major re-alignment of German forces take place in preparation for operations over the remaining turns. The 29th Korps takes over the defensive duties of 17th Korps as this Korps is sent east of Chuguvey to initially help in the reduction of strong points, but also to potentially launch an attack on Kupyansk next turn as its AO expands. This may be possible due to the lack of Soviet forces that can defend the area, as the northern armies AO does expand for at least one turn and all the SW front reserves forces on the map have been destroyed.
Turn 10 End North
The Pz divisions start to come back up through the pocket after helping the 1st Pz Army destroy the remaining Soviet forces about Izyum, in addition the 305th Division takes up defensive duties along the river to keep the pocket closed.
Turn 10 Kills North
Central Area
The Soviet 6th Army is still on the defensive, and nothing happens at Borki apart from a slight reduction in forces and troops pulling back a hex. I reduce the defenders of the river line now just to units of 8th Korps plus a couple of others as the 113th Division, and 8th Korps Arty are sent south towards Krosnograd. Providing nothing unexpected happens it maybe the Pz divisions will be employed here to recapture Borki next turn.

Further south in the Krosnograd region there is a slight Soviet counter attack that destroys a Romanian cavalry regiment, but otherwise Soviet units are entirely on the defensive.
Turn 10 Start South West
German troops push forward towards Krosnograd from the south and west, where units of Wiking attack and destroy two Soviet rifle regiments when they attack from the west. Next turn a more general assault will be launched with additional troops towards Krosnograd and to bypass the bulk of the defenders, it maybe additional help will be provided by the PZ Divisions if they are not employed at Borki.
Turn 10 End South west
Turn 10 Kills South west

Southern Area

Units of 6th and 57th Armies and the 23rd Tank Corps attack units of the 1st Pz Army and a number of units are destroyed, to the east units of 9th Army destroy a lone recon Bn and it looks like the reserve Southern front units are also being deployed in this region.
Turn 10 Start South East
The 1st Pz Army and 3rd Motorised Korps units counter attack against the Soviet units and destroy all units within range with the help of air support. To the west of Izyum the remaining Soviet holdout are destroyed and to the east 44th Korps destroys three more rifle regiments though a pioneer Bn is destroyed in the process, and in the South 11th Korps also attack and destroys a Soviet Regiment.
Turn 10 End South east
Next turn as the AO expands for the 1st Pz Army, forces will head west and take over all duties for stopping Soviet forces escaping from the pocket, while other troops will rest and refit.
Turn 10 Kills South east

Another good turn for German forces as the nose tightens about the Soviet position, the plan will be to carry on attacking and now go for an Over Whelming victory, which should now be possible as German forces take a small lead.
Turn 10 VP Total
Talos
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby Spuddy64 » Tue Nov 10, 2009 6:52 am

Turn 11 brings the Talos's forces closer to completly outflanking my defenses in the Lannaya/Krasnograd area. Well placed interdiction and enemy imposed movement penalties prevent me from pulling back or re-aligning my forces.
As you can see from the following pic, things are looking bleak

Spuddy64
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby Talos » Wed Nov 11, 2009 6:33 am

Kharkov German Turn 11

Some last desperate measures by Soviet forces to try and rescue the position, but this should have a limited impact and i now expect to win by a fairly massive margin and get an overwhelming victory

Northern Area
Another surprise as i weakened the forces generally in this area, the Soviets have tried to launch another attack, but it lacks the resources to achieve a great deal and does not really cause any major problems, apart from leaving the forces involved open to a savage counter attack by the German 6th Army and 51st and 17th Korps forces.
Turn 11 Start North
Well when probing east towards Kupyansk the 79th Division spots no units until getting to the city where both the South Western and Souther Front HQ's are spotted in the city and a AA Bn to the north. All of the regiments of the 79th Division and the attached regiment of the 17th Korps launch several attacks destroy these units and then capturing the city, with a bit of luck i will hold onto this city until the end of the game.
Turn 11 End North
To the north of Chuguyev the 3rd and 23rd Pz Divisions spearhead the attack on the Soviet forces and though attack supply is restricted there is enough to destroy the majority of the Soviet troops involved. The Soviet 38th Army is down to two rifle regiments and the 28th Army 3 rifle regiments plus any remaining arty. This should allow me to send the 6th Army attached units (3rd and 23rd PZ and the 71st and 305th plus ancillary units south next turn either to the Borki sector or Krosnograd.
Turn 11 Kills North

Central Area
The Soviet 6th Army is still on the defensive, and nothing happens at Borki apart from a slight reduction in Soviet forces and troops pulling back a hex.

Further south in the Krosnograd region Soviet forces are trying to realign their defenses but are not having to much luck because the interdiction in the region. There is a lone counter attack against the 113th KG which is destroyed, but it confirms the placement of the at least part of the Soviet Tank Corps, which is not next to Krosnograd, which is a bit of a plus.
Turn 11 Start South West
German forces continue to press the Soviet position about Krosnograd and Lannya and destroy some more units but nothing major this turn. Also as more forces are now moving into the region which should allow me to launch a major attack next turn, air interdiction is again placed about the Soviet position to hamper movement.
Turn 11 End South west
Turn 11 Kills South west

Southern Area
Not a great deal from the Soviet units in the south apart from trying to stay out of reach of the German war machine.
Turn 11 Start South East
The 1st Pz Army, 3rd Motorised Korps and 11th Korps continue their attack on what remains of the 57th Army and destroy several more units. To the north about Izyum the 14Pz mostly refits as it had all but exhausted its attack bullets. Finally a bit to the south 44th Korps and some units of the 1st Pz Army pick off two Soviet regiments, the rest of the units in this region mostly refit in preparation for any future operations, though i do not think the chances of that will be high.
Turn 11 End South east
Turn 11 Kills South east
Another good turn for German forces as the nose continues to tightens about the Soviet position, the plan for the remaining game turns is to ruthlessly crush all Soviet troop concentrations and capture all the victory locations that are not in German hands which include, Krosnograd, Lannya, Borki and Staraya Saltov.

German forces now have a small lead in VP's and even smaller one projected for the end of the game.
Talos
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby Spuddy64 » Thu Nov 12, 2009 12:20 am

With this game quite clearly in the bag for Talos I am left to trying to win small battles to try and bolster my tactical self esteem. i have a situation where I feel no matter how Talos reacts I can gain some ground and points. Here is the situation.

Spuddy64
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby Talos » Thu Nov 12, 2009 5:25 am

Kharkov German Turn 12

Northern Area

The Soviet forces have finally run out of steam and have reverted to the defensive.
Turn 12 Start North
Troops dig in about Kupyansk and further to the north the 51st, 29th and 17th Korps form a line and rest in preparation for an attack towards Staraya Saltov in a couple of turns. Though i may preempt this if i can get the 29th Korps forces within descent attack range of some 21st Army units.
Turn 12 End North

Central Area
The Soviet 6th Army is still on the defensive, though it looks like the defenders have been weakened even further about Borki. To the south at Krosnograd again very little is happening as Soviet forces for the most part are digging in and are awaiting their fate.

Units of 8th Korps and 6th Army led by the Pz divisions launch a series of attacks on the remaining defenders in the Borki region, the attack culminates with the capture of Borki and the destruction of 3 rifle regiments. The destruction of the remaining Soviet troops in this region will be left to the forces of 8th Korps with support being provided by 51st Korps arty.

Further south in the Krosnograd region attacks led by 17th Army units push the Soviets forces back and destroy some more units. It maybe with the help of 6th Army next turn Krosnnograd will fall and i can destroy the majority of the Soviet forces in this region though attack supply may be a limiting factor.
Turn 12 Start South West
German forces continue to press the Soviet position about Krosnograd and Lannya and destroy some more units but nothing major this turn. Also as more forces are now moving into the region which should allow me to launch a major attack next turn, air interdiction is again placed about the Soviet position to hamper movement.
Turn 12 End South west
Turn 12 Kills South west

Southern Area
Soviet forces in a major surprise launch an attack across the river and destroy a regiment of engineers but do not advance very far and have left themselves open to a counter attack.
Turn 12 Start South East
The rested 14th Pz division leads they attack and the first 4 regiments are destroyed because they can not retreat, this is then followed up with another attack which gets two more regiments. After this German troops fall into defensive positions and where not engaged with Soviet forces refit.
Turn 12 End South east
Turn 12 Kills South east
A massive turn for German forces as they take a massive lead and get up to 900 plus VP's and the first objective has been captured, Borki.
Talos
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby Spuddy64 » Thu Nov 12, 2009 7:04 am

Talos moved the majority of his forces to defend the cities to the south, so the attack is directed towards Izyum. I was not able to open up a very large spearhead, but Izyum was liberated. Will I be able to hold it? Or will this be the end of my tank forces in the area?

[IMG]http://i677.photobucket.com/albums/vv140/spuddy64/sovietturn13Izyumre4scue.jpg[/IMG
Spuddy64
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby Talos » Fri Nov 13, 2009 4:06 am

As Spuudy's link seems to have lost a character i have redone it before i post my next turn.
Talos
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby Talos » Fri Nov 13, 2009 4:09 am

Kharkov German Turn 13

Northern Area

The Soviet forces are digging in even more thoroughly about Staraya Saltov and do not venture from their bunkers.
Turn 13 Start North
German troops of the 17th, 29th and 51st Korps probe the Soviet positions and only in the north with 29th Korps is an attack launched which disrupts some more Soviet troops but does not really achieve a great deal. The only way to get into Staraya Saltov will be with the help of the Pz Divisions and the are needed in the south at the moment about Krosnograd.
Turn 13 End North

Central Area
With Borki liberated the Soviet 6th Army's remaining forces are heading south as quickly as possible to link up with what remains of the comrades in the Krosnograd region or falling back to their start line defenses. The only notable act for them is the lone arty strike which catches the pioneer's of the 305th in the open and destroys them.
Turn 13 Start South west
I now have to make a decision on what to do with the Pz Diviions this turn, most of the units are low on attack bullets and only have enough for one attack, before they will need to resupply. After some though before even scouting the position to the south i decide to refit the majority of the Pz Bn's and some of the other units of the Pz Divisions. The reason for doing this before the scouting is that i will likely find some attack opportunities which i can not resist and so the units will be limited if i am lucky to one attack per turn for the remainder of the game, which will not be the most effective way of using them. Doing this now means their will be enough attack supply to last until the end of the game and i will not have to worry about attacks being stopped because of this.

The remaining troops of AGS, 6th and 17th Armies push forward and destroy a number of Soviet units as well as splitting them in two. This will make the attack on Krosnograd next turn that much easier as i will be able to attack a smaller pocket and with luck destroy it.
Turn 13 End South west
Turn 13 Kills South west

Southern Area
Again a major surprise in the south as Soviet forces led, by what remains of the Soviet armour attack towards Izyum in strength and capture the city destroying two arty regiments and a pjager Bn in the process..
Turn 13 Start South East
After very little thought the 1st Pz Army, 3rd Motorised and 44th Korps launch a massive counter attack with the aim of destroying all the Soviet units involved, to help in this attack 6th Army and 51st Korps arty help in the attacks from the north. The initial attacks destroy two rifle regiments and some forces to the east of Izyum so cutting off the retreat of Soviet forces now caught in a pocket, some of these attacks led by arty support get their attack rolls up to the 20-1 odds table so getting surrender results. This is a most important criteria as a large number of the attacking forces are short on attack bullets and these will be needed for the attacks in the forces at Izyum and further to the west. A number of attacks go in getting the attack bonus from attacking from as many sides as possible and using the armour in the attack to get the chance of causing the extra loses. By the end of the attacks all bar of the Soviet forces is destroyed and the Southern front forces are so decimated that they are unlikely to cause any problems for the remaining part of the game.

Turn 13 End South east
Turn 13 Kills South east

Another massive turn for German forces as the lead moves to 1400 plus VP's.
Turn 13 VP's
Talos
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby Spuddy64 » Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:00 am

My surprise attack and re-taking of Izyum may have caught Talos off guard, but his counter attack was swift and very effective. Wiping out nearly all the attacking units and re-taking Izyum himself. Heaven help anyone that tries to beat Talos at this game.

Spuddy64
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PreviousNext

Return to Kharkov Play By Email (PBEM)