Kharkov AAR 2 Final Spuddy Soviets

Looking for an opponent for a PBEM game of Kharkov?

Moderators: Run5 Staff, SSG Staff

Postby Talos » Sat Nov 21, 2009 12:49 am

Kharkov German Turn 14

Northern Area

The Soviet forces are digging in even more thoroughly about Staraya Saltov and do not venture from their bunkers, but further to the south Soviet forces are trying to cut off parts of the 17th Korps at Kupyansk.
Turn 14 Start North
The time is taken push the front line out a bit towards Staraya Saltov and a sustained assault by 29th Korps against parts of the Soviet 21st Army. The attacks though reducing the strength of the Soviet regiments do not achieve anything else and German forces retire to their defensive positions. Any major gains here will have to await the arrival of at least one of the Pz divisions from the south about Krosnograd.
Turn 14 End North

Central Area
Very little from the Soviet forces in this area as they have retreated to their defensive positions or to support their forces about Krosnograd.
Turn 14 Start South west
German forces prepare for a major assault on Krosnograd, the initial attacks will be to clear the outlying Soviet forces before attacking the Soviet forces in the city. All attack are proceeded by air and arty attacks and Soviet forces are destroyed with a number of attacks most of which are over runs. The attack on Krosngrad is prepared carefully and i deliberately leave a hex free on the other side of the river so that if i get a retreat result Soviet forces can leave the city and be destroyed more easily in open ground. The attacks are launched from all four sides where i get the attack shifts and the third attack forces Soviet forces to retreat who are then destroyed in open ground.

Else where units of 8th Korps destroy more Soviet arty that can't escape to the Soviet defensive line, next turn the the focus in this area will be the assault on the remaining troops about Lannya.
Turn 14 End South west
Turn 14 Kills South west

Southern Area
Soviet forces in the south have gone entirely over to the defensive, but as noted earlier the 1st Pz Army has to send some troops north to help reestablish communications with the units of 17th Korps.
Turn 14 Start South East
Units of 1st Pz Army and 51st Korps head north and reestablish communication with 17th Korps, along the way the last regiment of 38th Army is destroyed and some of the remaining units belonging to SW front.
Turn 14 End South east
Turn 14 Kills South east

Another good turn for German forces as the lead moves to 1900 plus VP's, the aim by the end of the game will be to try and get to 3,000.
Turn 14 VP's
Talos
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby Spuddy64 » Sat Nov 21, 2009 6:32 am

My defense is falling apart at every area on the map. Complete destruction has been achieved by Talos.
Here is an image of hopeless situation near Krasnograd

Spuddy64
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby Talos » Sat Nov 21, 2009 6:44 am

Kharkov German Turn 15

No kill shots this turn so i will try and spell out what was destroyed in each sector.

Northern Area
Soviet forces continue to dig in for the most part in the north though there is some scouting to the west of Chuguyev by Soviet cavalry.
Turn 15 Start North
The 1st Pz Army, 51st Korps attack the exposed cavalry regiments of the 3rd Guards Cavalry Corps and destroy all units of this Corps apart from the arty and HQ. Further north 17th, 29th Korps and 6th Army units launch a general offensive towards Staraya Saltov, though its not that effective and leaves a number of units exposed. This is perhaps where i got over ambitious and probable would not of done this if the game was a lot closer, as i really needed more forces here to help with attack.
Turn 15 End North

Central Area
Soviet forces led by what is left of the tank Corps attack some 8th Korps units and destroy two of them, but then leave themselves exposed to the full might of the remaining German forces in this region. Other Soviet forces (HQ's and Arty) retreat to their defensive bunker line or await their fate near Lannya.
Turn 15 Start South west
German forces take the chance to try and destroy the remaining troops about Lannya, using the Romanian troops to take the casualties, but using German units in the assault even if they are only one step to get the tactical shifts, but only cause casualties this turn. To the east 3rd Pz and other units destroy what remains of the Tank Corps and other units still out of the defensive line.

Next turn the plan will be to destroy as many bunkers as i can in this region and what remains of any Soviet troops in them, mostly HQ's and arty.
Turn 15 End South west

Southern Area
Soviet forces in the south have remained on the defensive, but remain with in the AO's of German troops. The better thing to have done here would be to retreat Soviet forces outside of the German AO range if they were not going to be used in attack.
Turn 15 Start South East
Units of 1st Pz Army take the chance to attack around the Soviet flank in the south but do not achieve to much, I will need the rest of the Army to make much progress here as the majority of the units are now only at 50% strength amongst the Infantry Regiments.
Turn 15 End South east

Another good turn turn for German forces as the lead moves to 2400 plus VP's, so the aim of getting to 3,000 by the end of the game is still possible.
Turn 15 VP's
Talos
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby Spuddy64 » Wed Dec 02, 2009 8:03 am

Here are my parting thoughts on the tournament and the finals:
I am very privileged to have been able to compete in this tournament. Playing the likes of Zanakin, PzB, Noeksey and Talos has given me a better understanding of Kharkov the game and Kharkov the battle. ( Kudos to SSG ) Most importantly playing Talos in the finals has shown me the weaknesses that I need to address in order to compete at the highest level. Top-level competitors have great tactical and strategic knowledge along with impeccable attention to detail. I find myself at times wandering through my turns moving a few units here and there until I see something worth exploiting. It is obvious after playing Talos that he has a plan, and unless an opportunity arises he sticks to his plan. Talos is also an unmatched student of the game. I have read the manual at least 4 or 5 times and still picked up things from playing him that I didn’t know. Lastly, I learned to base my strategies on my opponents capabilities. If he has the capability to ruin my plans, then adjust them right from the start. Easier said then done, but one huge advantage we have over commanders in real life. Thanks to all for reading, and I hope to get the chance to play everyone else who loves SSG games like I do.
Spuddy64
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby Talos » Thu Dec 03, 2009 12:34 am

I don't think I will add anything about the games themselves apart from i enjoyed playing all the way through the tournament.

As an added note for all those who played in the tournament i have made some medals (its seems to have gone out of fashion for the last couple of tournys) which i have emailed to Chris to added to the SSG site. So once they are up all players can add this medal to there tournament collection, (I have also offered to make any future medals for tournys as well as its a tradition i think worth keeping) :D
Talos
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby Noakesy » Thu Dec 03, 2009 6:27 am

Talos wrote:As an added note for all those who played in the tournament i have made some medals (its seems to have gone out of fashion for the last couple of tournys) which i have emailed to Chris to added to the SSG site. So once they are up all players can add this medal to there tournament collection, (I have also offered to make any future medals for tournys as well as its a tradition i think worth keeping) :D

Sounds sensible, even if I only extremely rarely have any opportunity to display any of the blinking things :wink: :D
Image ImageImage
Noakesy
Colonel
Colonel

Previous

Return to Kharkov Play By Email (PBEM)