Kharkov AAR 1 Final Talos Soviets

Looking for an opponent for a PBEM game of Kharkov?

Moderators: Run5 Staff, SSG Staff

Postby Talos » Fri Nov 13, 2009 4:16 am

Kharkov Soviet Turn 14

South Western Front
Northern Sector 21st, 28th, and 38th Armies

German forces have abandoned their attempt to take Liptsy and are now heading around the Soviet position, though they do attack the SW front units causing some heavy casualties, but otherwise not much else happens. In the Chuguyev pocket German forces advance to scout the area destroying numerous strong points but again nothing much else is happening.
Turn 14 Start North
The Soviet SW front units attack the units of the 23rd Pz but though causing some casualties, do not destroy anything. These units then reinforced with 8th Mot to form into a defensive position and the troops of the 21st and 28th do likewise, the chance of getting into Belograd have pretty much evaporated, not that it was that high anyway. In the 38th Army area the bridge at Zimev is blown and some troops take up defensive positions juts behind the town, while the garrison at Chuguyev is reinforced.
Turn 14 End North

Central Sector 6th Army, Army Group Bobkin, 21st and 23rd Tank Corps and 2nd and 6th Cavalry Corps
6th Army and 21st and 23rd Tank Corps, Army Group Bobkin plus the 2nd and 6th Cavalry Corps

The Germans have finally taken Perechipino and wiped out all the defenders, and then have headed north in strength along the main road to Lannya and Krosnograd, but have not really made any progress into Soviet defensive positions.
Turn 14 Start South West
There are some limited opportunities for counter attacking the German troops, but nothing works apart from causing some casualties, after the attacks stop, Soviet forces retreat into strong defensive positions and await the next German probe.
Turn 14 End South west
Turn 14 Kills South west

Southern Front
Southern Sector 57th and 9th Armies
9th Army & 57th Armies

German forces from the 1st Pz Army have moved into the Chuguyev pocket and destroyed a number of strong points, but otherwise not really penetrated the Soviet defenses. Further south some of the surrounded units of the 9th and 57th Armies have been destroyed and then south west of Izyum the remaining cavalry of the 5th Cavalry corps have also been eliminated though not before destroying a pioneer Bn.
Turn 14 Start South east
There is now very little Soviet forces can do in the south east sector as German troops have redeployed to cover their weak points. But the southern front attached troops and some from 9th Army combine to attack some German troops and they manage to destroy them before falling back into defensive positions. Its now likely that I will move there remaining troops out of harms way for the last couple of turns unless there is a good combat opportunity.
Turn 14 End South east
Turn 14 Kills South east
The Soviet lead stays about the same again this turn but I would still expect it to get above 4,000 Vp's in the near future and that will probable be the winning margin.
Turn 14 VP's
Talos
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby Spuddy64 » Thu Nov 19, 2009 5:25 am

Here is an image of turn 14. Very strong German forces can almost see the smokestacks of Kharkov, but are not allowed to continue the attack. This is as far as they will be allowed to go.

Spuddy64
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby Talos » Sat Nov 21, 2009 12:46 am

Kharkov Soviet Turn 15

South Western Front

German forces attack the SW front units and cause considerable damage but no loses, but otherwise seem to be probing to try and find a weak spot in the Soviet defenses. There is more probing in the Chuguyev pocket and the bridge a Zimev is repaired, as well as having a unit push up through to the north between Zimev and Chuguyev (probable a 51st Korps unit), but otherwise all is quiet.
Turn 15 Start North
As there are no attack opportunities for the 21st and 28th Armies, all the units dig in and form a defensive line with the SW units. The 38th Army locates the marauding German unit and finds it is a one step infantry regiment which is soon dispatched. The 38th Army then reverts to a defensive posture, though more troops are sent to the vicinity of Chuguyev.
Turn 15 End North

Central Sector 6th Army, Army Group Bobkin, 21st and 23rd Tank Corps and 2nd and 6th Cavalry Corps
6th Army and 21st and 23rd Tank Corps, Army Group Bobkin plus the 2nd and 6th Cavalry Corps

The Germans are still attacking along the Soviet southern defensive line, while also swinging troops out in a flanking maneuverer about Lannya to try and attack from the east and link up with the troops in Lannya, in doing this an attempted break out of the troops in Lannya in thwarted though there is a loss of a cavalry regiment.
Turn 15 Start South West
Again there are major counter attacking opportunities for the Soviet forces and the attacks are again led by the 21st and 23rd Tank Corps. The combined attacks result in the loss of 5 Romanian regiments, 2 German regiments and a Pzjager Bn. Though through a slight mismanagement i also manage to destroy a Soviet tank brigade in the process. After this the rest of the 6th Army is sent south from the Kharkov area to help reinforce the Soviet position here on the final turn.
Turn 15 End South west
Turn 15 Kills South west

Southern Front
9th Army & 57th Armies

In the south all remains quite as there is very little movement against the Soviet forces.
Turn 15 Start South east
In the Soviet turn some reconnoitering spots no attack opportunities so Soviet forces revert entirely to a defensive posture and will await developments.
Turn 15 End South east
The Soviet lead has now risen to over 4,000 VP's and this is about where i expect it to end at the end of the game with the Germans having the last movement and attack opportunity.
Talos
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby Spuddy64 » Sat Nov 21, 2009 6:42 am

Continued pressure on the Soviet defenders in the Lannaya area only yield small gains. The city will not fall, but I am running out of game turns to resue the troops holed up in Lannaya.

Spuddy64
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby Talos » Sat Nov 21, 2009 6:48 am

Kharkov Soviet Turn 16

Well the last turn and Soviet forces have to be careful on what they do and where they end up this turn as the German forces will get a free hand in their last turn and do not have to worry about defense.

South Western Front

German forces attack a lone regiment of the 277th Division and destroy it as i miscalculated where it would end up last turn and probe the Soviet position about the edges, but otherwise do no achieve a great deal this turn.
Turn 16 Start North
The attack on the 277th regiment has left a couple of units exposed in the north and they are my first priority. The attacks are led by the SW front units and the 21st and 28th Armies, the attacks destroy a recon and pzjager Bn, so a net gain of VP's. Further to the east i decide to destroy a number of German strong points and attack 2 dug in arty regiments. The attacks succeed but two units are left out on a limb and will probable be destroyed in the German turn, but again its a net gain of VP's
Turn 16 End North
Turn 16 Kills North

As last turn German troops are still attacking along the Soviet southern defensive line, while also swinging troops out in a flanking maneuverer about Lannya to try and attack from the east and link up with the troops in Lannya, in doing this an attempted break out by the troops in Lannya in thwarted again and i lose another cavalry regiment.
Turn 16 Start South West
After looking at the situation i realise that German forces have potentially over extended themselves again, the question is should i attack even with the added reinforcements of the 6thy Army arriving. In the end i decide to as some of the units are on their last legs and can easily be destroyed, but i will not over extend so that i can not form a good last turn defense. The attack against the German and Romanian forces succeed and i gain another a lot of VP's for the destruction of more units and then fall back into final defensive positions which are made as strong as possible. With luck the damage i have caused over the last few turns to the attacking German and allied troops, plus, the reinforcements and strong defenses should stop any major attack in this sector.
Turn 16 End South west
Turn 16 Kills South west

Southern Front
9th Army & 57th Armies

In the south the 1st Pz Amry, 3rd Motorised and 44th Korps dispatch destroy some isolated Soviet forces, and the move into position to try an attack in the south against Soviet forces which does not really succeed.
Turn 16 Start South east
I again have the same situation as in the south west where there are some over exposed German forces and the question is if i attack or not, though the odds are not quite as good in this sector. In the end i decide that the attacks i launch now will probable more than balance out the forces i will lose in the German turn, as to launch the attacks i will not really have the chance to retreat into strong defensive positions or get out of the range of the German AO's. The attacks go in and i destroy a number of German units from the Pz and Jager divisions over the course of several attacks, i then put the remaining Soviet troops into the best defensive positions possible, but think its likely that some will be lost in the last German turn.
Turn 16 End South east
Turn 16 Kills South east
Because of aggressive nature on the last Soviet turn VP's have climbed to a higher than i expected, and i will probable end up with a lead some where in the region of 4,400 – 4,600 depending on how the German attacks go on their last turn. At the moment the Soviet lead is 4,885.
Turn 16 Vp's
Talos
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby Spuddy64 » Wed Dec 02, 2009 8:02 am

Here are my parting thoughts on the tournament and the finals:
I am very privileged to have been able to compete in this tournament. Playing the likes of Zanakin, PzB, Noeksey and Talos has given me a better understanding of Kharkov the game and Kharkov the battle. ( Kudos to SSG ) Most importantly playing Talos in the finals has shown me the weaknesses that I need to address in order to compete at the highest level. Top-level competitors have great tactical and strategic knowledge along with impeccable attention to detail. I find myself at times wandering through my turns moving a few units here and there until I see something worth exploiting. It is obvious after playing Talos that he has a plan, and unless an opportunity arises he sticks to his plan. Talos is also an unmatched student of the game. I have read the manual at least 4 or 5 times and still picked up things from playing him that I didn’t know. Lastly, I learned to base my strategies on my opponents capabilities. If he has the capability to ruin my plans, then adjust them right from the start. Easier said then done, but one huge advantage we have over commanders in real life. Thanks to all for reading, and I hope to get the chance to play everyone else who loves SSG games like I do.
Spuddy64
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Previous

Return to Kharkov Play By Email (PBEM)