Announcing the Kharkov: DotD Tournament!

Looking for an opponent for a PBEM game of Kharkov?

Moderators: Run5 Staff, SSG Staff

Postby Roger Keating » Wed Nov 18, 2009 8:50 am

At the moment I am only working on the Kharkov engine and from what I understand there will be no update of the BiI engine.

Remember that it is highly unlikely that penalties would ever creep up to high values except in the front line where large stacks of units exist. From what I see in Kharkov it seems to be about 40.

Also, remember that I haven't finalized the penalty process yet and by providing an editable maximum the scenario would default to what it currently is, i.e. 15.
Roger Keating
SSG

Postby Abwehr » Wed Nov 18, 2009 8:22 pm

At the moment I am only working on the Kharkov engine and from what I understand there will be no update of the BiI engine.

OK, so let me get this straight.

Back in July, I pointed out a serious flaw in the BiI (and possibly DB) editor which caused timed steps to go haywire on units starting with KIA's.

The result is that any scenario with KIA's and timed steps for units automatically doesn't work, as the unit gets the timed steps back.

You promised you would test it and would work on it numerous times, the last time being in september. You didn't bother to send me any word that, in fact, you were not doing anything at all about the problem, even though you claimed you would.

Now you're suddenly saying that no update for BiI will be released, meaning that the many hours I spend editing Kharkov 1943 to make it playable were all in vain.

You don't mind if, politely put, I'm not really amused by this, do you? If I were a less loyal customer, you would've lost a customer just now, because this is just bollocks.
Abwehr
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Roger Keating » Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:35 am

There have been issues here, as there are with all companies, and I won't go through them here.

I do apologize for the lack of communication as that was simply not acceptable.

There is a problem with any and all patches that requires us to go over and analyze how serious it is and how it affects the play of the game. The bug mentioned here falls in the 'minor' category, or at least for me. In all of the published scenarios the situation you represent is not used, i.e. units having significant kia's at the start of the scenario and timed steps which may, or may not, be used. If the situation is slightly different in a PBEM game then that is generally not as great as luck or good play. As a scenario designer there are often ways to work around problems such as these by changing the data in one way or another.

It would be good if we could have a system where the exe checks an Internet connection to your computer then checks for patches if one is active. That way we could have a 'correct any problem' policy as the entire process would be in our hands. This is simply not how the real world works. Blizzard uses this system for World of Warcraft but it does require considerable resources to implement.

SSG has stated its policy of upgrading the current Kharkov engine to make it the standard by which these games will be played and considerable work has been carried out since the release of Kharkov to make it better and with ATD we can actually show these new features in action. The problem is that this is not a large company and we do this work because we like it. This is generally not a good business model.
Roger Keating
SSG

Kharkov Tourney medals now available

Postby Chris Merchant » Fri Jan 01, 2010 9:44 pm

Last edited by Chris Merchant on Sat Jan 02, 2010 8:30 am, edited 2 times in total.
Chris Merchant
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby Talos » Fri Jan 01, 2010 10:17 pm

OK lets see if it works. Hmm will have to have a look as something is not working right.
"There is only one decisive victory: the last." (Karl von Clausewitz)
3: OTP Axis v JSS
4: Open

ImageImageImage ImageImageImage
Talos
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Re: Kharkov Tourney medals now available

Postby Noakesy » Sun Jan 03, 2010 7:35 pm

Chris Merchant wrote:Finally got around to upload Talos's tourney medals.

Talos: http://www.ssg.com.au/forums/images/Med ... Winner.gif

Spuddy: http://www.ssg.com.au/forums/images/Med ... nnerUp.gif

All other players: http://www.ssg.com.au/forums/images/Medals/Kh.gif

cheers Chris

Cheers Chris, pleased to be able to add another 'losers' medal :wink: :D
Image ImageImage
Noakesy
Colonel
Colonel

Previous

Return to Kharkov Play By Email (PBEM)