Announcing the Kharkov: DotD Tournament!

Looking for an opponent for a PBEM game of Kharkov?

Moderators: Run5 Staff, SSG Staff

Postby critter » Wed Sep 23, 2009 5:43 am

Noakesy wrote: The gamey stuff is not right, but as someone said earlier in this thread for a tourny game you should just assume that alll opponents will do the gamey stuff, it's too difficult to figure out a balance of "gentlemen's rules" I think.

Maybe putting a strong point in the "gamey" cities would stop all the accidents of taking hexes you want to leave alone. Wouldn't be hard to justify.
I agree "gentlemen rules" suck. Most of the gamey stuff I do is out of stupidity and usually costs me.
AAR's by the better players will help some. If they're made to show the stratagy's and not a one sided slaughter.
critter
Major
Major

Postby Spuddy64 » Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:51 pm

I will get my opening turn done tonight. My youngest son had a football game last night that prevented me from getting started.

As far as my AAR goes, I do plan on sharing quite a bit of my strategy and the reasons for why I do some of the things I do in the game. Some may find it simplistic but I hope some find it useful. This is the first SSG title that I was able to play right from it's release, ( BiN, BiI and Battlefront all coming out before I found them causing me to play catch up with the better players who had been around playing these titles for years) My AAR will be open for others to comment and I will answer questions concerning my strategy.
Spuddy64
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby Talos » Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:30 pm

Just a quick update we have gotten to turns 2 and 3 respectively in the games so far. There are some similarities, especially on turn 1, but after that we seem to have taken quite different paths, so should make for enjoyable games and a chance to see the pros and cons of different approaches.

It has taken me so far longer than i expected to write up turns, as there seems quite a bit to go through. I will have a chat with Spuddy, but I am guessing we will probable start posting once we hit about turn 5 or 6 and stay that far behind compared to the actual games.

As an added note I am being made to work hard in both games and my first German turn took me approximately 3½ hours to complete, the longest i have had to spend on any Kharkov turn. :roll:
Talos
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby Talos » Fri Oct 02, 2009 9:52 pm

Expect the AAR for the first game to start on Sunday at some point when i post my Soviet first turn, the second game will follow as its a couple of turns behind the first game.
Talos
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby Spuddy64 » Wed Oct 07, 2009 10:05 pm

Sorry for the delay in posting, I didnt find out until I went to post that images could not be uploaded so I am now in the process of learning how to use photobucket while at the same time trying to stay within reach of Talos.
Hope to start posting tonight if all goes well
Spuddy64
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby Noakesy » Wed Oct 07, 2009 10:17 pm

Spuddy64 wrote:...so I am now in the process of learning how to use photobucket while at the same time trying to stay within reach of Talos...

Blimey, multi-tasking eh :D
Image ImageImage
Noakesy
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Spuddy64 » Fri Oct 09, 2009 4:53 am

multi tasking I can handle. Locking horns with Talos while forcing my 45 y/o brain to learn a new task is asking too much. :?

First post is up, and I wills start my AAR today also.
Spuddy64
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby Noakesy » Fri Oct 09, 2009 5:29 pm

Spuddy64 wrote:multi tasking I can handle. Locking horns with Talos while forcing my 45 y/o brain to learn a new task is asking too much. :?

I know what you mean, have had similar problems in the past myself :D

Nice AARs though.
Image ImageImage
Noakesy
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Talos » Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:53 pm

Just a quick note to say the final games are drawing to a close, the AAR's have fallen a bit behind the games at the moment.
Talos
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby Talos » Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:03 pm

Both games for the final have now finished and i won both games. Me and Spuddy will continue posting the AAR's at about a turn a day if possible until we are done with all the turns.
Talos
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby JSS » Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:44 pm

Congratulations Talos!

Also, appreciate the time and effort you and Spuddy put in posting the AARs. Those are very well done!

Marty
JSS
Site Admin

Postby Spuddy64 » Wed Nov 04, 2009 1:38 am

A public congratulations to Talos, I was soundly beaten in both games by a clearly superior player. All in all I still had a blast, and would sign up for any future tourny that is organized. Thanks again for having the tourny Chris.
Spuddy64
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby Talos » Wed Nov 04, 2009 6:39 am

Thanks all. The tournament was fun to play and i learned a lot all the way through the various rounds.

Thanks to all my opponents, though Mario and Spuddy for different reasons proved the most interesting challenge.

Though the final thank you has to go to Chris for organising and managing us all through the various rounds.
Talos
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby Noakesy » Wed Nov 04, 2009 6:58 am

Well done old bean, tell us what the book's like when you see it? I think Mr Strax was quite keen on that one. :D
Image ImageImage
Noakesy
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Chris Merchant » Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:30 am

Congratulations Talos, that's a remarkable effort and a well deserved win.
I'll post out your prize once I have your postal address.

Similarly, congratulations to Spuddy for being runner up. I'm looking forward to reading the entire AAR when it's been completed and I've picked up quite a bit of info that I didn't know from the current posts.

I'd also like to thank PzB, therockfrog, Mario Vallee, Graf Stahremberg, zerothehero, MVDH, Noakesy, Strax, doggie3, mcperis, ralphH, Abwehr, fluidwill and Zanekin for participating in the Tourney and all players for exhibiting good sportsmanship and humour that have made it so enjoyable to follow.

Cheers!

Chris
Chris Merchant
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

PreviousNext

Return to Kharkov Play By Email (PBEM)