Announcing the Kharkov: DotD Tournament!

Looking for an opponent for a PBEM game of Kharkov?

Moderators: Run5 Staff, SSG Staff

Announcing the Kharkov: DotD Tournament!

Postby Chris Merchant » Sat Jan 31, 2009 2:29 pm

Run5 is pleased to announce the first Kharkov:DotD Tournament!

Now that the Kharkov patch is out, it's time to throw down the gauntlet and find out who is the master of the Kharkov battlefield!

SSG's new Decisive Battles on the Eastern Front game system is a synthesis of the very best elements of two critically acclaimed and top-rated game systems - Decisive Battles and Battlefront, and a successor to both; and Kharkov: Disaster on the Donets brings to life a campaign of epic scale and one of the most dynamic battles on the Eastern Front of World War II.

For this Tournament, we have one major prize for the winner - a stunning new publication, painstakingly researched by Jason Mark of Leaping Horseman Books, titled 'Angriff! - The German Attack on Stalingrad in Photos' This 368 page hardcover book, personally signed by the author, is a fascinating and extraordinarily accurate collection of rarely seen photos of the German 6th Army's journey into the hell of Stalingrad.

Each photo has been thoroughly researched to the point of correcting some of the more common photos' captions, and a large amount of descriptive text accompanies each photo as well as placing many positions and dates of photos on larger reference maps.

A beautiful work to have in your collection, without doubt.

More information and other quality Eastern Front publications are available at the Leaping Horseman Books website, and Run5 would like to thank Jason Mark of Leaping Horseman Books for his support.

OK - what do I need to know?

The period for registrations will be open until we receive enough registrations to commence the Tournament. Either 16, 32 or 64 players – so register early to ensure your placement! If you haven’t got a copy of Kharkov – purchase a copy here and get some practice in prior to the Tournament.

Also ensure that you have applied the most recent Kharkov Patch – currently 1.11 from the Matrix Games website, available via this link.

Once we have enough registrations, player pairings and sides will be randomly drawn by the Tournament Master and each player notified. The Soviet player for each round will also receive a secure game file - once this has been received, the game can be started.

On the topic of Security - Tournament players should be made aware that all Tournament Games are played in PBEM Secure Mode. The security used by Kharkov involves several hidden keys and files being written to your computer so that PBEM games can be validated prior to loading. You should be advised that reinstalling Kharkov or making changes to your Windows Operation System mid way through a secure PBEM game will invalid that game. In addition to this, Secure PBEM games can only be completed on the same PC that the game for that Tournament Round was commenced on. Any games invalidated in this manner will be deemed in favor of your opponent.

Also note that random PBEM games will be subject to quality control by SSG to confirm the game’s integrity. Any deemed breaches of the Kharkov PBEM Security System or ‘unfair play’ will result in that players removal from the Tournament and banning from any future Run5/SSG Tournaments. See Run5's security policy for more info.

Important stuff to know

All tournament players must be aware of and agree with the Run5 PBEM and Tournament Rules - which can be found here.
It is deemed that all players who register for the Tournament are fully aware of these rules and agree with them. In addition to this Run5/SSG are the judges in relation to this Tournament and their decision is final in relation to the application of the rules and the mediation of any disputes between Tournament players. Remember the judge’s decision is final. Note that all employees and testers for Matrix Games and SSG are excluded from entering this Tournament.

Players should not seek to enter this Tournament unless they can complete a turn at least every 2 or 3 days. Whilst we understand that there may be circumstances when you may not be able to complete your PBEM Tournament within this time frame, we would expect that these would be exceptional circumstances and in these instances you are obliged to advise your opponent and the Tournament Master of these occurrences. The Tournament Master/Judges may remove, at their discretion, any players who are unable to keep to these time frames or who are deemed to be slowing the Tournament down, or are deemed not to be playing within the Tournament Rules. Whilst we don’t expect this to happen - you need to be aware of this.

The prize winner may be asked to write an AAR in support of their involvement and receiving of their prize from Run5.
Please be aware this is a condition of entry into this Tournament.

To enter this Tournament you must be a registered user on the Run5 discussion forums. If you do not have a valid account then registration must be made prior to entering the Tournament.
Both new and experienced players are welcomed and encouraged to enter the Tournament - it's a great way to get up to speed in the PBEM community!

Tournament Summary

- All players must be registered on the SSG Discussion Forums
- The tournament will start once we have 16, 32 or 64 players at the decision of the Tournament Master. Places will be assigned based on time of email arrival. Late registrations may be assigned as Reserve players.
- All employees and testers for Matrix Games and SSG are excluded from entering this Tournament.
- All games must be based upon the most recent patch available at the commencement of each Round (so in other words if a new patch is made available mid Tournament then all players must adopt and install that new patch when they commence their next round).
- Game pairings and sides will be randomly generated by the Tournament Master and are final.
- Advancement into Round 2 and subsequent rounds will be based upon the results of the previous round.
- All games must be played in PBEM Secure Mode
- Games will be setup by the Tournament Master with the following settings:
* Normal Weather
* Historic Areas of Ops
* Unknown Units - Off
* Normal Replacements
* Normal Combats
* Combat Advisor - On
* Points Handicap - Off
- Players should not register and enter the tournament unless they are able to completed a turn at least each 2-3 days.
- All players should seek to keep to the above time frames - or the Tournament Master may determine a winner based upon the
circumstances of the case if any games are significantly delaying the progress of the Tournament.
- These games are automatically eligible for reporting on the Run5 Combat Leagues Ladder - at the discretion of the winner.
- Tournament Rules may be subject to change at the discretion of Run5/SSG; subsequent changes to the rules will be announced via the Kharkov Tournament thread on the SSG Discussion Forums
- Notifications of all results of games must be reported to the Tournament Master via email (kharkov@merchant.on.net)
- It is a condition of entry that the entrant accepts all tournament and other rules referenced here.
- The Tournament Master's decision in all cases is final.

How do I register?

To register, please click this link and fill out the form.
You will need to provide your PBEM Profile file when registering.
To create a Profile, please refer to section 3.5 of the Kharkov game manual.
Additionally, please add kharkov@merchant.on.net to your spam filter 'friends list' once you've sent your register email.
It would be a good idea to add each of your opponents to the spam filter as well.

Good luck to all participants!
Last edited by Chris Merchant on Thu Mar 26, 2009 6:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
Chris Merchant
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby Strax » Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:11 pm

What a great prize.
Strax
Major
Major

Postby Abwehr » Mon Feb 02, 2009 10:03 pm

Great prize indeed.

Is there a quick way of restoring the main scenario to its vanilla/default setup, or do I have to reinstall Kharkov - DotD?
Abwehr
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Chris Merchant » Mon Feb 02, 2009 10:24 pm

If you've been editing/modding the Kharkov scenario it would be better to uninstall and then do a clean install of the game plus the patch. Eliminates secure game 'false starts' as if the data of both opponents does not match, errors will occur.

cheers
Chris Merchant
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby Abwehr » Tue Feb 03, 2009 5:06 am

Reinstalled, patched and registration send.
Abwehr
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Chris Merchant » Fri Feb 06, 2009 8:45 am

Hi Guys

I've received a number of registrations and will confirm these over the weekend - meantime we need more players to get the tournament going - so if you are on the sideline, why not jump in - you've got to be in it to win it :D

Also, given Gregor's announcement here, , I'll delay the start of the tourney until the new patch is made available.

cheers Chris
Chris Merchant
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby Chris Merchant » Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:29 pm

current registrations:

Zero The Hero
Spuddy64
Abwehr
Zanekin
Strax
MVDH
therockfrog
Talos
Graf Stahremberg
Mario Vallee
Noaksey
Doggie3
mcperis
RalphH
Fluidwill
PzB

Reserves:

True_Avatar47

So we have 16 starters - any further registrations will be Reserves.

We will have to wait until the next patch is released before we can start though. I get the impression it's not far off but will keep you posted.

Please contact me if you don't see your name above but you sent a registration.

cheers
Last edited by Chris Merchant on Mon Mar 02, 2009 6:04 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Chris Merchant
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby Noakesy » Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:51 pm

Erm, you had my application too didn't you Chris (we exchanged a couple of emails about it)? :? :D
Image ImageImage
Noakesy
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Chris Merchant » Wed Feb 11, 2009 6:53 am

Doh, yeah - I'll fix that now Noaksey.

cheers
Chris Merchant
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby Noakesy » Thu Feb 12, 2009 5:23 am

Quick question, has this been advertised on the Matrix site too, I recall robjess put the OMG one on there. Not sure if it'll help, but just thought I'd mention it.

Cheers
Image ImageImage
Noakesy
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Chris Merchant » Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:41 am

Yes I put a link on the Matrix forum and the Wargamer forum as well.

Looks like we now only need one more person (assuming no one drops out) to make up 16 starters.

Edit: we have 16 players now, just waiting on the new patch to be released.

cheers
Chris Merchant
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby Chris Merchant » Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:46 pm

Gregor has posted that the 1.11 patch is just about cooked, so once the patch is made public by Matrix I'll post the randomly determined pairings and sides and mail out tournament start files to the Soviet players to begin their games.

cheers Chris
Chris Merchant
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby Noakesy » Thu Feb 26, 2009 5:50 pm

Chris Merchant wrote:Gregor has posted that the 1.11 patch is just about cooked, so once the patch is made public by Matrix I'll post the randomly determined pairings and sides and mail out tournament start files to the Soviet players to begin their games.

cheers Chris

Excellent, although you could announce the pairings now I guess :wink: :D
Image ImageImage
Noakesy
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Talos » Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:11 pm

Noakesy wrote:
Chris Merchant wrote:Gregor has posted that the 1.11 patch is just about cooked, so once the patch is made public by Matrix I'll post the randomly determined pairings and sides and mail out tournament start files to the Soviet players to begin their games.

cheers Chris

Excellent, although you could announce the pairings now I guess :wink: :D

Trying to find out if you have drawn the short straw for the first round :twisted:
Talos
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby Noakesy » Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:20 pm

Talos wrote:Trying to find out if you have drawn the short straw for the first round :twisted:

:lol: yep, you guessed pretty much straight --- let's be honest, if I drew you I'd resign now and it'd save us all a lot of time ... :wink:
Image ImageImage
Noakesy
Colonel
Colonel

Next

Return to Kharkov Play By Email (PBEM)