How to hold Kharkov City with the New Update

Discussion relating to Kharkov: Disaster on the Donets

Moderators: Run5 Staff, SSG Staff

How to hold Kharkov City with the New Update

Postby mario vallee » Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:12 am

Hi Mario, quick question, how did your Kharkov games go? I get the impression that the scenario was ruined by the ATD2 update which moved the soviet forces from 'fast' to 'superfast'. I'd be very interested in your views.

Cheers

Andrew

Hi Andrew, It is VERY hard for the German to hold Kharkov City but it is possible.

I manage to hold it again Mike Hall by putting EVERITHINK I have there. Forget Lannaya. You must be very aggressive but also very careful at the same time. You have to target the Russian tanks in priority in your attack and never forget to entrench your units. When the tanks divisions are gone, the job is done. You MUST also form a line of hedgehog units near the city because they are harder to attack. You have to place more units in a hexes witch is not hedgehog. The 2 Russian front must remain separated at all cost. Use your air interdiction carefully to slow the cavalry. Place your artillery in a safe place so they don't be destroy in case of a Russian penetration. Place a elite units in every stack, specially in the South. I personally use some gold artillery for that. There is not way to try to defense Liptsy in the North. You can't be strong every where. Put nothing there AND in the hexes near to it. Just put air interdiction there and be prepare to received Russian fast units. Place your bunkers to defense the city and the forests hexes. Place less units in those hexes.
Also, target the enemies artilleries when you have the opportunity with your big guns fire for the first 4 turns.

Hope it help .

mario
mario vallee
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby Noakesy » Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:21 am

Thanks Mario, the last time I played this I managed to take out 16+ axis units, so I did wonder if it would still be possible for Fritz to recover. Your note suggests it is indeed (still think the ATD2 update patch has seriously unbalanced this though). :D
Image ImageImage
Noakesy
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Spuddy64 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 6:58 am

As the German only attack arty east of Kharkov on the first turns. As Soviets protect your arty as best as possible. If the Germans knock out 5 or 6 Soviet arty units they are in the clear.
Spuddy64
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby Noakesy » Sat Apr 30, 2011 6:12 pm

Spuddy64 wrote:As the German only attack arty east of Kharkov on the first turns. As Soviets protect your arty as best as possible. If the Germans knock out 5 or 6 Soviet arty units they are in the clear.

Interesting, although I think it's a shame that a finely balanced scenario has been turned into this almost by accident. :D
Image ImageImage
Noakesy
Colonel
Colonel

Return to Kharkov Discussion