New Guy Advice

Discussion relating to Kharkov: Disaster on the Donets

Moderators: Run5 Staff, SSG Staff

New Guy Advice

Postby Delothus » Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:32 am

I'm a wargammer from some decades ago that is getting back into it very recently, squad leader and first few years of ASL was about last time I spent regular time playing wargames. I bought Kharkhov a week or so ago and I am really impressed with what they have done and where strategy wargames are.

I have a number of questions and I am hoping some of you might be able to answer some in part or whole:

1. The tournment and ladder areas seem 'dead' in here, where are players going for this? Or other related thoughts.

2. PBEM, how does one insure integrity of the play? What stops someone from saving just before a battle and replaying the battle over and over until they get the results they want? ( I haven't read the literature on PBEM yet, so this may be a foolish question)

3. what are typical expectations for PBEM play pace? I assume specific rules are in place for most events, but what are common expectations?

4. lastly, how easy is to follow what your opponent actually did in PBEM. Chess players learn a ton by replaying and studying master games. And in table top play you can observe what your opponent does and get ideas and learn things.

Thanks ahead of time!
Delothus
Private
Private

Postby Carl Myers » Mon Jan 03, 2011 2:09 pm

1. The tournment and ladder areas seem 'dead' in here, where are players going for this? Or other related thoughts.

You want a tournament, volunteer to be the tournament master.

2. PBEM, how does one insure integrity of the play? What stops someone from saving just before a battle and replaying the battle over and over until they get the results they want? ( I haven't read the literature on PBEM yet, so this may be a foolish question)

As you make your moves in a turn, the program automatically saves the moves. When you hit the End Turn button, a transmitable file is created by the program.

3. what are typical expectations for PBEM play pace? I assume specific rules are in place for most events, but what are common expectations?

Varies with the opponent.

4. lastly, how easy is to follow what your opponent actually did in PBEM. Chess players learn a ton by replaying and studying master games. And in table top play you can observe what your opponent does and get ideas and learn things.

View the replay of your opponent's moves.
Carl Myers
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby Delothus » Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:10 am

Delothus
Private
Private

Postby Delothus » Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:00 am

Unrelated follow up question.

After a few games of play I am doing really well against the AI. I know that is to be 'expected' though.

I then set computer to MAX and it pulverized me pretty good. I think I will try Comp++ instead for now.

My questions are:
How tough is AI set to Max for a good player?

The +2 die role is a huge shift obviously. But the +2 replacements is beyond my level of appreciation yet, how big a factor is this? Does it mean nonstop offensives?

Thanks!
Delothus
Private
Private

Postby Abwehr » Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:24 pm

You'll notice the die roll bonus a lot more than the replacement bonus.
Abwehr
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Delothus » Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:12 am

Makes intuitive sense.

What's a benchmark for results that would suggest you are playing well against the AI on MAX and/or ++ settings? Even recommended...

for example, I guess that maybe good players have a couple 1000 or more VP edge on recommended.

Anyway to articulate what benchmarks I should be looking for in the Kharkov stuff against differnt AI settings?
Delothus
Private
Private

Postby Abwehr » Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:50 am

An overwhelming victory with low unit losses means you did a good job on any difficulty setting. ++ can be difficult for the Axis player as the Soviets will more or less inevitably push hard in the center, but it should be possible to win convincingly. Likewise, as the Soviet player you'll face very tough Axis counterattacks that will require some proper planning and probably some luck to counter (if the AI keeps rolling 6/6, there isn't much you can do).
Abwehr
Colonel
Colonel

Postby kswaby10 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 11:40 am

Thanks for the suggestions.
kswaby10
New Recruit

Return to Kharkov Discussion