? on Operation Konrad

Discussion relating to Kharkov: Disaster on the Donets

Moderators: Run5 Staff, SSG Staff

? on Operation Konrad

Postby The Red Baron » Sun Nov 07, 2010 1:48 pm

I recently played Operation Konrad as the Germans against a Soviet AI. Except for a brief one-turn counterattack near Zsambeck by the Soviet 18 Tank Corps (around turn 5, I think), the AI offered nothing but a static defense. I was able to attack at my leisure without worrying about counterattacks or my flanks. I destroyed the Soviets piecemeal, gradually opening up the lines of comunication with Budapest.
Was this intentional or is there an error in how the AI "cards" have been programmed? Did anyone else have a similar experience? I really liked the work Pete AU did on the scenario, and I would like to play the scenario as the Germans; but, if the German AI provides the same type of static defense, I won't find it much of a challenge.
"Never tell a man how to do something; only tell him what to do, and you will be surprised by his ingenuity." - Gen. George S. Patton, Jr.
The Red Baron
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby pete AU » Sun Nov 07, 2010 4:35 pm

Hi RB

Getting the AI to work for a scenario like this isnt really that easy. There are too many options and things to which you cannot direct the AI's attention to after the first few turns. Its alot more complex and convoluted than the stock SSG titles. Perhaps its something the SSG guys could do - but I'm basicly an enthusiastic amatuer when it comes to the AI.

What I intended to do here was give players a primer to get them to understand a few basic german opening moves to allow them to progress to pbem games.

The AI is ok for the germans and not good for the soviets - it will allow you to see a good german opening move.

Once I finish some current projects I'll probably revisit Konrad and upgrade the map etc.

Getting an AI for Iskra will probably be easier and then Stalingrad - but Konrad and Guadalajara AI's may have to wait.

Essentially do players want more scenarios or AI's for the existing scenarios - noone ever really says, so I just do what i enjoy most.
History is an argument without end
Projects - Iskra (available to download), Stalingrad Pocket (ver101 finished and available to download), Guadalcanal (map done), Guadalajara (playtesting - volounteers?), Napoleonic Borodino (volounteers?)
ImageImageImageImage Image Image
pete AU
Colonel
Colonel

Postby jjdenver » Mon Nov 08, 2010 2:03 pm

I only ever play PBEM so I'd say more scenarios, forget the AI. That'd be my vote. Playing the AI is always just too easy.
jjdenver
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby jeffs » Sat Nov 13, 2010 7:13 am

Since I only play solo against the AI (my intermittent playing schedule and tendency to switch frequently between games make PBEM impracticable for me) I would vote for an improved AI.
All My Best,

Jeff Sutro
jeffs
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Postby The Red Baron » Sun Nov 14, 2010 1:05 am

Hi Pete,

I understand. Without giving it much thought, I was just expecting an AI like that included with Kharkov. I realize it must take months of intensive playtesting to refine an AI and a scenario to the point where it provides a competent challenge. I'm very impressed with your efforts regardless of the AI. For games, the AI is the way to go for me, since the demands of the wife and job limit my ability to commit to regular turns; however, if I ever dive into PBEM, Konrad is on the top of my list. I enjoyed the different approach you took to map making and unit graphics, not that there is anything wrong with SSG's stock scenarios; just enjoyed the fresh approach.
The Red Baron
Sergeant
Sergeant

Return to Kharkov Discussion