What did ATD2 change in Kharkov?

Discussion relating to Kharkov: Disaster on the Donets

Moderators: Run5 Staff, SSG Staff

Postby Noakesy » Wed Sep 29, 2010 5:05 pm

Yes you're right JJ, and to be honest I've not played this again since I realised the changes. I think even I have now managed to kill 14-16units in turn 1. I fear it's stuffed up the scenario (however if Carl and others are willing to tell me it's still possible to win as fritz after such horrendous losses then that's fine. :D )
Image ImageImage
Noakesy
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Abwehr » Wed Sep 29, 2010 7:03 pm

An advance like JJ's also makes it easier for the Germans to counterattack near Kharkov, but that still leaves the problematic situation in the south, even though whether Lannaya can be held or not depends more on the luck of the Soviet player than on the German player, and whether Dnepropetrovsk can be held depends on whether a division is moved there by OMA or not.
Abwehr
Colonel
Colonel

Postby jjdenver » Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:11 am

It does make the Soviets pretty vulnerable. I used both pz division to counterattack in the north and destroyed I think most of the north Soviet tanks. Here's end of turn kills. I think that Soviet kills in the same hex as German dead get over-written? Image
jjdenver
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby Abwehr » Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:40 am

Question remains how much the increased initial advance will matter in the end, as there are also large additional risks. The Soviets are not going to encircle Kharkov with infantry, so if you kill the tanks, your defense is likely to be successful
Abwehr
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Roger Keating » Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:46 am

I think that Soviet kills in the same hex as German dead get over-written?

When a unit dies the hex is recorded in the database for display with the dead unit feature. If there are Allied and Axis units in the same hex, or the hex is over stacked, they are shuffled to nearby hexes as it will not really affect the outcome of the game and it is for display purposes only. This way all dead units in a battle should be seen even if they are not in the exact hex they fell.
Roger Keating
SSG

Postby Noakesy » Thu Sep 30, 2010 4:58 pm

Abwehr wrote:An advance like JJ's also makes it easier for the Germans to counterattack near Kharkov, but that still leaves the problematic situation in the south, even though whether Lannaya can be held or not depends more on the luck of the Soviet player than on the German player, and whether Dnepropetrovsk can be held depends on whether a division is moved there by OMA or not.

Well I'm happy to be wrong, as I really enjoyed the scenario before the changes. However, it's not just around the city, it's also the release of the two tank divisions in the south in combination with the attack/arty/dice bonuses the soviets enjoy. I thought the scenario was initially really finely balanced, maybe I'm wrong that this has made any major changes. :D
Image ImageImage
Noakesy
Colonel
Colonel

Previous

Return to Kharkov Discussion