Newbie - First Scenario

Discussion relating to Kharkov: Disaster on the Donets

Moderators: Run5 Staff, SSG Staff

Newbie - First Scenario

Postby papajack » Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:18 pm

After days of twisting the manuals and armed with some very basic knowledge of the game , I decided to start a scenario

Kivorograd is my choice and it look quite manageable in terms of units size

Intend to play as The German at first but changed my mind after seeing the brutal attacks made by the Red Army

Is this a good scenario for first timers ??

Which side should I play first ?

By the way I really want to say "WOW " and how could I skip this series for so long !!

I read that " Battle front" have the same new system ( which I love ) and my questions which one should I get first - "Battlefront" or ATD2
Thanks
papajack
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Re: Newbie - First Scenario

Postby Gregor Whiley » Tue Apr 13, 2010 3:46 pm

papajack wrote:After days of twisting the manuals and armed with some very basic knowledge of the game , I decided to start a scenario

Kivorograd is my choice and it look quite manageable in terms of units size

Intend to play as The German at first but changed my mind after seeing the brutal attacks made by the Red Army

Is this a good scenario for first timers ??

Which side should I play first ?

By the way I really want to say "WOW " and how could I skip this series for so long !!

I read that " Battle front" have the same new system ( which I love ) and my questions which one should I get first - "Battlefront" or ATD2
Thanks

I would go with ATD II, since it uses the same Kharkov system (Battlefront is an earlier system for smaller scale battles).

Another advantage of ATD II is that if you play the Germans, you are the one getting to do the brutal attacks, and you can have your revenge on the Red Army.

Gregor
Gregor Whiley
Vice President, SSG
www.ssg.com.au
Gregor Whiley
SSG

Postby Joe » Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:14 pm

Kirovograd is a small scenario and good for learning.

Joe
Joe
Colonel
Colonel

Postby papajack » Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:34 pm

I think I will get both ( Battlefront + ATD2)

Battlefront seem to have the right scale for beginners and ATD2 for the new system

By the way , why is the range attack for tanks were not carry forward to the new system

Cheers
papajack
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Postby JSS » Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:10 am

papajack wrote:...By the way , why is the range attack for tanks were not carry forward to the new system

The difference is in the game engine design.

- for Kharkov game engine is based on ~4km/hex map scale

- for Battlefront game engine is based on ~1km/hex map scale

So in BF, ranged attack for tanks makes sense. In Kharkov, the direct fire aspect is built into the close combat resolution.

JSS
JSS
Site Admin

Postby Guest » Fri Oct 15, 2010 10:48 am

Hello Guys,

There are many reasons why Kharkov deserves deference and attention. And among them it's eventful history, it's rapid economic development, it's rise to the cutting edge of advanced science in XX century and it's bright and manifold cultural life.

Thanks a lot

Postby Sugar70 » Fri Dec 17, 2010 12:03 pm

Thanks for the information in this site!
Sugar70
New Recruit

Postby hank » Sun Dec 19, 2010 11:06 pm

I for one would like to see BF continued to the later stages of the war where Tigers, Panthers, Fireflys, Hellcats, T34/85, etc etc plus the AT weapons of '43 thru '45 would really be fun. HPS's PzC games have ranged fire and when using one of Volcano Man's McNamara mods, ranged fire between units is a blast. ... especially when you are ambushed by a unit unseen until a tank goes up in flames.

Have a Merry Christmas
hank
Major
Major

Return to Kharkov Discussion