Kharkov artillery question

Discussion relating to Kharkov: Disaster on the Donets

Moderators: Run5 Staff, SSG Staff

Kharkov artillery question

Postby chris miller » Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:29 am

It's been a few years since I've been on the forums but I had a question regarding Kharkov. I purchased Battlefront when it was released and I was immediately disappointed with how artillery was handled (click and shoot/sniping.) It seemed that this slowed the game play down and it ruined the game for me for other various reasons. Perhaps that is silly, but that is an aside.

My question is whether Kharkov still has the 'click-and-shoot' artillery option or not? This really determines whether I will buy it. :)
chris miller
Major
Major

Postby TTT » Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:32 am

It's still click and shoot I'd say. Against the AI I have regularly advanced Art units to the front line, shot at a stack and then retreat to safety. This tactic does not feel realistic at all, but if you don't do it you're at a severe disadvantage I'd say.
TTT
New Recruit

Postby chris miller » Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:43 am

Bummer....
chris miller
Major
Major

Postby papajack » Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:07 pm

In the contrast , I love the new Arty " click and shoot " style :)

If you move your arty , then it is un entrench and if it is expose to counter battery , it will be a tragic blow

Cheers
papajack
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Postby Carl Myers » Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:24 pm

The operative words are: shoot, move and communicate.
Carl Myers
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Re: Kharkov artillery question

Postby Gregor Whiley » Tue Apr 13, 2010 3:43 pm

chris miller wrote:It's been a few years since I've been on the forums but I had a question regarding Kharkov. I purchased Battlefront when it was released and I was immediately disappointed with how artillery was handled (click and shoot/sniping.) It seemed that this slowed the game play down and it ruined the game for me for other various reasons. Perhaps that is silly, but that is an aside.

My question is whether Kharkov still has the 'click-and-shoot' artillery option or not? This really determines whether I will buy it. :)

Every time you think you've done something just right, someone pops up in the forums to tell you that you've got it totally wrong!

Anyway, for what its worth, I think the new Artillery system is a great improvement on our old one. The player has much greater control over exactly how and when they deploy their artillery assets, and much more immediate feedback on its effects.

As a scenario designer, you can use the resupply and refit system to constrain the ability of the player to conduct constant artillery attacks and this forces the player to make critical decisions about where to allocate artillery support. This certainly does slow down game play, but I think it does so in a good way since the player gets control over a critical battlefield decision.

I love working out just where I'm going to spend my precious artillery rounds and cheer loudly every time they hit. Regrettably, this means that I curse loudly whenever they all too frequently miss, but this is all part of the fun of the game. If you don't buy the game just on account of how artillery is handled, you'll be missing out on a lot fun.

Gregor
Gregor Whiley
Vice President, SSG
www.ssg.com.au
Gregor Whiley
SSG

Re: Kharkov artillery question

Postby papajack » Tue Apr 13, 2010 5:04 pm

Gregor Whiley wrote:I love working out just where I'm going to spend my precious artillery rounds and cheer loudly every time they hit. Regrettably, this means that I curse loudly whenever they all too frequently miss, but this is all part of the fun of the game. If you don't buy the game just on account of how artillery is handled, you'll be missing out on a lot fun.

Gregor

Could not agree more ...you can also hear the loud cheers from the ground assault team when the arty boys hit the bull eye !!
papajack
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Postby jjdenver » Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:19 am

To the OP.

I wasn't too happy at all w/ the new artillery system. It seemed pretty deadly to me.

However overall after playing it some more it's growing on me I think. Units can be wiped out pretty quickly but there is a "rebirth" mechanic to allow shattered units to be reconstituted.

The control that you get over artillery use and the supply mechanic that forces you to pick and choose when/where to use them adds another interesting layer to the game I think.

I'd recommend giving it a try with the Husky scenario which is small and quick before writing it off as a bad job. You might change your mind as I did.
jjdenver
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Return to Kharkov Discussion