Your Kharkov experience?

Discussion relating to Kharkov: Disaster on the Donets

Moderators: Run5 Staff, SSG Staff

Postby The Red Baron » Sun Apr 18, 2010 12:03 am

My experience in the southern sector has mirrored your comments closely. I was able to hold the river line with SW Front reinforcements for just one or two turns (unfortunately, I could not employ all of them) before the AI crossed the river and steadily pushed me back. I'm feeding whatever reinforcements I can spare into my defensive line just as fast as I can move them into the sector, but the AI has eliminated each of them almost as quickly. The 8th Mot Rifle Division is the last remaining reinforcement; probably nothing more than a speed bump at this point. It's the 12th turn and I'm currently carrying an overwhelming victory against the AI on computer + settings. I don't anticipate a change in the victory level during the last four turns (my point spread is too great), but how concerned should I be about stopping the Germans in the South? Once 1st PzA takes Izyum, will it drive hard to capture Kupyansk or attempt a linkup to the northwest with the Chuguyev sector?
The Red Baron
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby Talos » Sun Apr 18, 2010 7:28 pm

The Red Baron wrote:My experience in the southern sector has mirrored your comments closely. I was able to hold the river line with SW Front reinforcements for just one or two turns (unfortunately, I could not employ all of them) before the AI crossed the river and steadily pushed me back. I'm feeding whatever reinforcements I can spare into my defensive line just as fast as I can move them into the sector, but the AI has eliminated each of them almost as quickly. The 8th Mot Rifle Division is the last remaining reinforcement; probably nothing more than a speed bump at this point. It's the 12th turn and I'm currently carrying an overwhelming victory against the AI on computer + settings. I don't anticipate a change in the victory level during the last four turns (my point spread is too great), but how concerned should I be about stopping the Germans in the South? Once 1st PzA takes Izyum, will it drive hard to capture Kupyansk or attempt a linkup to the northwest with the Chuguyev sector?

Once the river line is broken you are probable better off just retreating out of the way of 1st Pz unless their are substantial reinforcements that can be thrown into the battle. 1st Pz can't get to Kupyansk, the only German force that can get there is 17th Korps units. 1st Pz will head north to Chuguyev.
"There is only one decisive victory: the last." (Karl von Clausewitz)
3: OTP Axis v JSS
4: Open

ImageImageImage ImageImageImage
Talos
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby The Red Baron » Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:25 am

Yeah, now that Izyum has fallen, I've just beat off three probing attacks by the 17th Korps towards Kupyansk. I've piled up 38th Army units north of Chuguyev to keep other 17 Korps units in the vicinity busy worrying about what I might do there next. It's tempting to withdraw SW Front units north, out of 1st PzA's AO, but if I do that, it will just make the linkup in the Chuguyev sector that much easier. Given an open road, will 1st PzA drive all the way to Kharkov or will they stop on the south side of the Northern Donets? Just wondering if I should withdraw my Kharkov defensive line futher east.
The Red Baron
Sergeant
Sergeant

Previous

Return to Kharkov Discussion