CRT Data

Discussion relating to Kharkov: Disaster on the Donets

Moderators: Run5 Staff, SSG Staff

CRT Data

Postby papajack » Fri Apr 09, 2010 8:37 pm

Greetings

Decided to jump in after hearing so many good comment about the series although many has advise me about the steep learning curve

Started reading the manual

No problem with the Terrain Data

but I am stuck at the CRT Data ,

residue chance ? standard / overrun ?? double dice ?? steps ?? shift bonus ?? ..I am getting headache ...

Can someone explain in lay man language for me

Thanks
papajack
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Postby Abwehr » Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:20 pm

Residue chance: the chance that combat in the hex will create a (artillery) residue. There are two kinds of residue, light and heavy, and both give an OP (movement) penalty.

Generally, difficult terrain hexes are less likely to have residue in most scenarios and clear terrain is likely to be shot up.

Standard/overrun: minimum odds required for combat and minimum odds required for an overrun attack. In the DB series this meant minimum odds for both without any attached artillery/air strikes/barrage but in the Kharkov/ATD2 engine it's only about minimum odds with regular troops as there are no more attachable shift bonuses aside from, possibly, a special attack.

Double dice odds: the amount of steps required for (a chance for) double dice odds. A full stack with 12 to 16 steps is very likely to attract double dice odds.

The shift modifier is, I believe, the bonus modifier the terrain gives to the defender.
Abwehr
Colonel
Colonel

Postby papajack » Sat Apr 10, 2010 12:34 am

thanks for info , and after playing a while things begin to make some sense now

One thing , how is tactical bonus calculated
papajack
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Postby Abwehr » Sat Apr 10, 2010 12:42 am

You mean the shift bonus?

First, you may or may not get a tactical shift bonus for attacking from many directions. The bonuses you can get are shown in the "incidental" tab of the CRT screen, showing the bonuses for attacking from any number of hexsides if you get a green arrow (which means you're not attacking from a minefield, across a river, from a hex with a hostile detachment in it or from a hex with more enemy steps at the flanks of that hex than you have in the hex).

The hex the defender is sitting in might give a tactical shift modifier.

The defender's shock defense/shock value vs your own will be a part of the tactical shift and will possibly bump the CRT table to the + in tank shock part of the table (if you're attacking a stack with no AT defences with tanks, you'll probably get a bonus).

Then there's elite units that can add a shift.

Special attacks can also give shift modifiers, it depends on what the scenario designer wants the special attacks to do and if they give a shift bonus.
Abwehr
Colonel
Colonel

Postby papajack » Sat Apr 10, 2010 8:57 am

thanks again

More question if you don't mind :D

Does Arty strike on a stack will bring some unit out of entrenchment ? Thus allowing direct fire by tanks

It is better to attack direct fire ( tanks ) from multiple hex ?

I have not finish reading the manual but is there any Zone of Control ?

Units seem able to move very far ?
papajack
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Postby The Red Baron » Sat Apr 10, 2010 12:37 pm

Artillery and entrenchment: by itself artillery will not remove a unit's entrenchment; however, if your artillery attack causes a step loss, it will make the unit more likely to retreat if you attack it again later in the same turn using a direct attack. Once the unit retreats, it loses its entrenchment and becomes vulnerable to direct fire by tanks provided, of course, that it does not retreat into a hex occupied by another entrenched unit.

Direct fire from multiple hexes: yes, it is better to attack with a direct fire capable unit from as many different hexes as you can; the more the better. As long as you can achieve a tactical shift from a hexside, and the defending unit is not entrenched, units with direct fire capability have a chance to cause an additional step loss beyond the results indicated by the CRT. This is true for each hexside from which you make your attack. If more than one unit in a hex has direct fire capability, then the unit with the best chance will make the die roll for that hexside.

Zones of Control (ZOCs): each unit exerts an influence upon the hexes surrounding it (and the hex it occupies of course). This influence is known as its zone of control, and it is expressed as a penalty in movement points that an enemy unit must pay to enter or pass through such a hex. The more units in a hex and the stronger they are, the more influence they exert, and the higher the penalty the enemy unit must pay to pass through or enter a hex in their ZOC

Unit movement range: yeah, it does seem that units in Kharkov can move a fair distance, especially German recce units; that's the nature of the game, I guess
The Red Baron
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby JSS » Sat Apr 10, 2010 12:38 pm

papajack wrote:Does Arty strike on a stack will bring some unit out of entrenchment ? Thus allowing direct fire by tanks

No. Artillery could, depending on the situation, destroy the only entrenched unit, but that's about unit elimination, not artillery effect.

Also, in Kharkov, direct fire is resolved during close combat.

It is better to attack direct fire ( tanks ) from multiple hex ?

Yes as each attacking hex gets one direct fire attempt (if it has a unit capable of conducting direct fire).

I have not finish reading the manual but is there any Zone of Control?

Yes. Manual sections 21-23 cover the basics (23.5 is on ZOC).
Current PBEM Games
1. Sealion (Air Parity) t11 out

JSS
Site Admin

Return to Kharkov Discussion