Muli-player Kharkov

Discussion relating to Kharkov: Disaster on the Donets

Moderators: Run5 Staff, SSG Staff

Muli-player Kharkov

Postby pete AU » Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:23 pm

Has anyone tried this yet - with the security off.

We had a few games like this with Normandy - took a while, but was alot of fun.

The games took the form of 3 players a side. One player was supreme commander alocating divisions and assets to the 2 or 3 sub commanders - as well as deciding general stategy and permission to sack incompetent generals. The other 2 players moved their divisions independently and put forward the best case for reinforcements etc.

In Kharkov the 2 clear fronts could make this game work well as a multiplayer.
History is an argument without end
Projects - Iskra (available to download), Stalingrad Pocket (ver101 finished and available to download), Guadalcanal (map done), Guadalajara (playtesting - volounteers?), Napoleonic Borodino (volounteers?)
ImageImageImageImage Image Image
pete AU
Colonel
Colonel

Re: Muli-player Kharkov

Postby Talos » Thu Aug 20, 2009 2:53 am

pete AU wrote:Has anyone tried this yet - with the security off.

We had a few games like this with Normandy - took a while, but was alot of fun.

The games took the form of 3 players a side. One player was supreme commander alocating divisions and assets to the 2 or 3 sub commanders - as well as deciding general stategy and permission to sack incompetent generals. The other 2 players moved their divisions independently and put forward the best case for reinforcements etc.

In Kharkov the 2 clear fronts could make this game work well as a multiplayer.

No one has suggested this yet. I would be up for it.
Talos
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby pete AU » Thu Aug 20, 2009 3:08 am

Perhaps if we can get 6 interested persons to start with well give it a spin - any takers? First come first served - extras can be stand ins when the sackings start.
Projects - Iskra (available to download), Stalingrad Pocket (ver101 finished and available to download), Guadalcanal (map done), Guadalajara (playtesting - volounteers?), Napoleonic Borodino (volounteers?)
pete AU
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Joe » Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:02 am

I too am interested

-
Joe
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Noakesy » Fri Aug 21, 2009 4:45 pm

I'm game if you need some more folk.
Image ImageImage
Noakesy
Colonel
Colonel

Postby pete AU » Fri Aug 21, 2009 7:36 pm

Two more takers and we'll get things moving.
pete AU
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Tempest » Sat Aug 22, 2009 7:47 am

HI, Pete. Good to see you back.

I've been MIA the last year myself, preoccupied with another great Matrix Civil War game, WBTS.

The multi-player concept is worth a shot, so count me in if there's still any openings
Tempest
Major
Major

Postby Noakesy » Sat Aug 22, 2009 5:05 pm

Tempest wrote:I've been MIA the last year myself, preoccupied with another great Matrix Civil War game, WBTS.

Is WBTS good then? I'd be interested in a civil war game but not seen anything that really appeals.
Image ImageImage
Noakesy
Colonel
Colonel

Postby pete AU » Sat Aug 22, 2009 6:43 pm

I have always thought this engine could support a civil war game. i attempted a napoleonic set in battlefront, but didn't finish it due to complications when it came to editing things like tank sounds, fuel drum graphics and the like as well as simulating formation changes like forming line or square etc- the current version of the editor still makes an attempt possible - but you'd have to make some realism sacrifices. You can see in my Crimea scenario that older style conflicts are possible - but need alot more work. I have detailed oob's for quite a few civil war battles and would love to get them onto the engine. Ahhh, so many ideas, so little time.
pete AU
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Tempest » Sun Aug 23, 2009 6:05 am

Noakesy wrote:

Is WBTS good then? I'd be interested in a civil war game but not seen anything that really appeals.

WBTS came out in June of last year and I've played it nonstop since. It (almost) rivals SSG's offerings in fun and immersion.

IIRC, SSG made a mention a few years back of having considered doing the Civil War. Any more recent announcements?
Tempest
Major
Major

Postby Strax » Fri Sep 04, 2009 3:00 am

pete AU wrote:I have always thought this engine could support a civil war game. i attempted a napoleonic set in battlefront, but didn't finish it due to complications when it came to editing things like tank sounds, fuel drum graphics and the like as well as simulating formation changes like forming line or square etc- the current version of the editor still makes an attempt possible - but you'd have to make some realism sacrifices. You can see in my Crimea scenario that older style conflicts are possible - but need alot more work. I have detailed oob's for quite a few civil war battles and would love to get them onto the engine. Ahhh, so many ideas, so little time.

English, American or Spanish civil War?
Strax
Major
Major

Postby Strax » Fri Sep 04, 2009 3:01 am

BTW...I'd be interested in a multi-player game of Kharkov.
Strax
Major
Major

Postby Talos » Fri Sep 25, 2009 8:55 pm

Are we going to move ahead with this now? Or wait until the final is completed between me and Spuddy?
Talos
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby pete AU » Sat Sep 26, 2009 12:16 am

OK

We will go when we have 6 confirmed players

We need at least
1 German Overall Commander
2 German Front commanders (Noaksey)

1 soviet Overall Commander (Talos)
2 Soviet Front Commanders (Bertram)

any number of reserve commanders

We'll let positions be allocated on a first come first served basis, so if you have a preference be first in. I'll help coordinate and referee the game and will not take a spot - unless we have a shortfall. So gentlemen - sign up.

Keep dicussion on this thread relevent to the topic as it will get alot of traffic.

Cheers
Last edited by pete AU on Mon Sep 28, 2009 8:25 pm, edited 3 times in total.
pete AU
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Noakesy » Sat Sep 26, 2009 12:38 am

I'm game, but would prefer to be Fritz (either front, not really 'overall command'). :D
Cheers
Image ImageImage
Noakesy
Colonel
Colonel

Next

Return to Kharkov Discussion