Kharkov Amendments

Discussion relating to Kharkov: Disaster on the Donets

Moderators: Run5 Staff, SSG Staff

Postby Abwehr » Fri Nov 13, 2009 7:29 am

Spuddy64 wrote:I like your idea in giving arty units 1 life. Easy and simple fix.

No fix is even needed, as under "Edit All", when you click on an artillery unit, you can give it permanent KIA, 1 life or infinite lives status.

Perhaps a new function in the form of being able to select whether a certain unit can get more than 1 life but less than inifinite (say the dropdown menu showing 1 to 5, and infinite) would be nice.
Abwehr
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Joe » Fri Nov 13, 2009 8:35 am

As for artillery, I thought it was done better in Battlefront than in Kharkov.

In Battlefront, heavy artillery, with a high chance of a hit, could either fire or move – but not both on the same turn. Light artillery, with only a low chance of a hit, could shoot and scoot in the same turn.

I am disappointed this was removed from Kharkov. Now, all artillery can shoot and scoot. It takes it from “wargame” to “game”.

-
Joe
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Abwehr » Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:10 am

In the DB series, all artillery could move and "fire". Artillery not being able to move and fire in the same day doesn't make a lot of sense, and reminds me a bit too much of one of the features of Panzer General.

We're not talking about superheavy artillery in game terms, we're talking about artillery pieces that could realistically fire and move on the same day. The thing I don't like is that the movement radius is the same after firing, perhaps that should be toned down.

As an aside: what you say about Battlefront isn't entirely true. It seemed to be pretty random whether an artillery unit could move and fire or not.

The Semovente units could move and fire. Out of the two 75mm Bns of the Italian 21st motorized artillery regiment in Gazala, only one could move and fire. The French 75mm unit could not, and neither could any of the German units.

In Market Garden, the German artillery at the start can all move and fire, SPATY or not. British 25 pounders and the airbourne 75mm's can move and fire, but the rest could not. Keep in mind that those same 25 pounders could not move and fire in Gazala, even though all artillery is motorized in that scenario.

In Kharkov, moving only reduces chances of counterbattery fire, and terrain has no effect on the visibility of the artillery piece to counterbattery fire, which is weird but one of the limitations of the engine I guess.
Abwehr
Colonel
Colonel

Previous

Return to Kharkov Discussion