Counter Battery Fire

Discussion relating to Kharkov: Disaster on the Donets

Moderators: Run5 Staff, SSG Staff

Counter Battery Fire

Postby jeffthewookiee » Tue Jul 28, 2009 12:05 am

Does counter battery fire always cause casualties to the artillery unit or is the step loss distributed in the normal way?

In other words, can I stack a firing artillery unit with an entrenched infantry unit to avoid taking counter-battery casualties?
jeffthewookiee
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby Carl Myers » Tue Jul 28, 2009 12:18 am

Counterbattery fire, against a artillery unit that haa been spotted after the artillery unit has fired, will be targetted against the artillery unit.
Carl Myers
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby jeffthewookiee » Tue Jul 28, 2009 12:26 am

Carl Myers wrote:Counterbattery fire, against a artillery unit that haa been spotted after the artillery unit has fired, will be targetted against the artillery unit.

So if I want an artillery unit that's firing to be 'safe' from counter battery, I either need to fire then move, or have it entrenched before I begin firing?
jeffthewookiee
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby Abwehr » Tue Jul 28, 2009 4:25 am

If the enemy can also see another unit in the hex, that other unit will take the damage, so you could also park it next to an enemy unit in a stack of regular units.

Moving it is always an option, trying to get it out of enemy artillery range, preferably hiding at a strongpoint and with an AA unit near it.
Abwehr
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Talos » Tue Jul 28, 2009 6:01 am

Abwehr wrote:If the enemy can also see another unit in the hex, that other unit will take the damage, so you could also park it next to an enemy unit in a stack of regular units.

Moving it is always an option, trying to get it out of enemy artillery range, preferably hiding at a strongpoint and with an AA unit near it.

Hiding in cities or forest is also a good idea as it reduces the chance of being spotted and if spotted reduces the chance of being hit (woods and towns also to a lesser extent).

The best bet is to try and move far enough from the front line to get out of enemy arty range, then stacked with an entrenched unit, in the best terrain possible, next to a AA unit and in a strong point preferably a 2 step one so you are only in the range of an air strike.

Unfortunatley all of the above is unlikely to be possible, but it should give you an idea.
Talos
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby Graf Starhemberg » Tue Jul 28, 2009 6:30 pm

What kind of benefit does the AA unit provide?
Graf Starhemberg
Major
Major

Postby Carl Myers » Tue Jul 28, 2009 8:15 pm

Graf Starhemberg wrote:What kind of benefit does the AA unit provide?

Decreases the chance that an airstike will be successful by lowering die roll by a specified amount.
Carl Myers
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby Abwehr » Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:20 am

Hiding artillery in hexes that provide a hiding bonus doesn't work against counterbattery fire, but it's still a good idea if you're near the frontline.

I'd actually suggest keeping a non-entrenched unit, preferably armour, rather than an entrenched unit, possibly infantry, in the hex with the artillery. Should the enemy break through the line, they'll probably see the armour before or at the same time as the artillery unit (because the armoured unit has a huge profile), and thus can't strike the artillery no matter what. I'd also suggest keeping the AA in the same hex, or if you have to put it in an adjacent hex, keep a combat unit in the hex with the AA so you don't lose the AA to a clusterbombing strike. Trust me, it's not nice when that happens.
Abwehr
Colonel
Colonel

Return to Kharkov Discussion