soviet tactics in kharkov ?

Discussion relating to Kharkov: Disaster on the Donets

Moderators: Run5 Staff, SSG Staff

soviet tactics in kharkov ?

Postby Pascal1 » Thu Jun 25, 2009 2:40 pm

hi,

a question for those who've played the soviet side a fair bit. is it possible to win against a competent human opponent ?

i've noticed the soviet AI seems to throw all caution to the wind. they leave their flanks completely open. which makes it easy for me to encircle a huge chunk of their forces in front of kharkov during the later stages of the game. as a human player can you take a more cautious approach ? or move troops back into a defensive position if the attempts to capture kharlov grind to a halt ?

apologies if there's already a post on this topic. i haven't really played the soviet side yet, hence my reason for the question

cheers
Pascal
Pascal1
Private
Private

Postby Noakesy » Thu Jun 25, 2009 4:57 pm

Hi, I've played Kharkov quite often, and IMHO it's a very good game. Sadly as Fritz I've managed to lose on a number of occasions, but then you may question whether I'm a "competent human opponent" (thought I'd say that before someone else did :wink: :D )
Image ImageImage
Noakesy
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Abwehr » Thu Jun 25, 2009 8:53 pm

In my opinion, it is easier to win as the Soviets than as the Axis, but opinions differ on the subject.

As long as you're fairly cautious and don't lose half your forces, you should be fine. Caution is the better part of valor in the first few turns, as you should try to avoid being run over by the Panzer divisions near Kharkov.

We're currently having a Kharkov tournament, so if you browse through the topic on that matter, you'll find some information about Soviet and Axis tactics as well as whether players feel the Soviet or Axis side has the advantage.
Abwehr
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Talos » Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:05 pm

As Abwehr has noted opinions do differ. I am probable biased towards it being easier to win as the Axis, though it does depend on not being overrun by the Soviet hordes in the first couple of turns.

I probable disagree some what with Abwehr's approach in the first few turns for the Soviets in that you should push reasonable hard.

This though could be down to the difference in our playing styles, which probable accounts for our different points of view.

Also can't resist, have to agree with Noakesy's own comment. :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Talos
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby Noakesy » Thu Jun 25, 2009 10:21 pm

Talos wrote:Also can't resist, have to agree with Noakesy's own comment. :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol:

...how rude (and predictable :wink: :lol: )
Image ImageImage
Noakesy
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Spuddy64 » Thu Jun 25, 2009 10:33 pm

Side bias in this game seems to be split fairly evenly. (sign of a good game!) though if I were to pick sides, the Axis would get my nod every time. Fritz gets to sit back and pick apart the mistakes of Ivan for a couple turns, then turn up the heat in the south and really give Ivan a bloody nose. With that said, very good Soviet players can really make things though on the Germans. If as the German you end up on your heels, your in big trouble.
Spuddy64
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby Pascal1 » Fri Jun 26, 2009 11:53 am

i shall check out the tournament thread thanks. from what i've read about the historical battle - it would be difficult to manage the situation as badly as STAVKA and Stalin did in the mid-late stages.

being all too aware of the counter-attack power of the germans. i can see how a soviet human player would take steps to prepare a much better defense than was done historically.
Pascal1
Private
Private

Postby Noakesy » Fri Jun 26, 2009 5:38 pm

Pascal1 wrote:being all too aware of the counter-attack power of the germans. i can see how a soviet human player would take steps to prepare a much better defense than was done historically.

I agree that this must distort the situation, much as any of these games can (e.g. in KP the German player emptying the south east and doing everything to avoid the pocket being formed). However, the AOs do limit what the soviet player can do to prevent the inevitable to some extent.
Image ImageImage
Noakesy
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Talos » Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:05 pm

Another thing to bare in mind, is that the Soviet player can make some mistakes (within reason) and still have a chance. If the German player goofs (in a simliar fashion), thats probable it, you are unlikely to be able to retrieve the situation sufficiently to get a victory.
Talos
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Return to Kharkov Discussion