Back with Kharkov

Discussion relating to Kharkov: Disaster on the Donets

Moderators: Run5 Staff, SSG Staff

Back with Kharkov

Postby chris miller » Thu Dec 29, 2016 3:19 am

I just bought Kharkov after eyeing it for several years. Battles in Italy was the last iteration of the DB that I played in-depth. I purchased Battlefront, but just couldn't get into it. A couple of questions:

1) Who is still actually playing this? I see that the forums have died down quite a bit, but that doesn't mean of course that few are playing, just that the forum is slow.

2) How significant are the changes in the patches? Are the improvements with each patch that helpful, or are they simply small, mostly unnoticeable adjustments?
chris miller
Major
Major

Re: Back with Kharkov

Postby JSS » Fri Dec 30, 2016 9:37 am

Chris,

Think you'll like Kharkov. I feel that it's the best of the SSG line of games (I did like BF too; its just... a little different). Haven't played any Kharkov games in awhile as I get more BII game offers.

The patch(es) were put in place to support ATD2 IIRC. My remembrance is that the main Kharkov scenario became more lethal after the ATD2 version patch (have played/liked the patched version for so long I can't see any reason not to patch up).

PM me if you'd like a game.

Best, Marty
Current PBEM Games
1. Sealion (Air Parity) t11 out

JSS
Site Admin

Re: Back with Kharkov

Postby Gray_Lensman » Sat Dec 31, 2016 2:36 am

chris miller wrote:I just bought Kharkov after eyeing it for several years. Battles in Italy was the last iteration of the DB that I played in-depth. I purchased Battlefront, but just couldn't get into it.

I just purchased the entire set... from Korsun pocket thru Kharkov... Why?

Well, when I saw that I somehow missed this series over the last decade AND saw the plethora of User Scenarios for all the games, some of which were only for certain games in the series, (especially Stalingrad for Battlefront), I thought to maybe use some of my retirement time to convert some of the older scenarios to the Kharkov format. Anyhow, that's the plan... AND some AI work/rework for some of the non-AI user scenarios would be nice. Plus. Operation Olympic (Invasion of Kyushu (sp?)), and Operation Coronet (invasion of Honshu) sounds challenging, not to mention Iwo Jima and Okinawa. All of these would require an accommodation for aircraft, especially Kamikazis... Would be nice if SSG would do one more update or new game which introduces actual aircraft, instead of the abstraction air strike rules. Probably wishing for too much since it's been years since SSG has done anything else with this series.

BTW, is there any way to get hold of the first version of Across the Dnepr for KP? Seems Matrix has discontinued it!
Gray_Lensman
New Recruit

Return to Kharkov Discussion