AAR OMG Final Talos Allies

Looking for an opponent for a PBEM game of Battlefront?

Moderators: Run5 Staff, SSG Staff

AAR OMG Final Talos Allies

Postby Talos » Sun May 04, 2008 10:42 pm

OPERATION MARKET GARDEN ALLIED TURN 1

XXX Corps

XXX Corps has got a number of things to do on turn 1, get as far up the main highway as possible and kill as many Axis units as possible. The kills screen shot shows the kills XXX Corps achieved on turn 1, in addition below I have summerised what I think is the best possible start for XXX Corps on turn 1.

Along with the normal kills along the road and to the east before the river, the following things are possible on turn 1 depending on other combat results.

(Hex 7,106 - 2nd Bn 6 Fallschrimjager Regt)
It is possible to take out the unit marked A on the map as follows, use an air and artillery strike after it has been spotted by a recon unit.

(Hex 10,100 – Pioneer Company 6 FJ Reg)
It is possible to take out the unit marked B on the map as follows. It can be taken out as above, but there is a better way as along as there is minimal residue when clearing out the strong points that surround XXX corps at the start. Ideally 2 armoured units of the RTR and 1 recon unit of the Welsh Guards should get to hex (10,101) and then use the special attack bonus, this will produce an automatic kill.

(Hex 22,107 – Falls'Jager Regt Grossmehl (D) and Hex 22,106 – 2 Bn 21 SS Pz Grenadier Regt (C))
It is possible to take out the units marked C and D on the map as follows. A carpet bomb is dropped on the 2 step unit at Hex (21,107) to the west, then another carpet bomb is dropped on D, D is then finished off with an artillery strike. C is then hit with an air strike and finished off with an artillery strike all being well.

(Hex 13,97 – Strong point)
This strong point should be hit by an air strike and if it fails an arty strike from the the heavy artillery at Hex (12,110).

(Hex 14,95 – Strong point: Valkenswaard)
It is possible to capture this place on turn 1. This should be first hit by an air strike and if that is successful an artillery strike ideally from the heavy artillery detailed above as that has the best chance of success, but if not 1 of the Guard AD, RTR or Hussars mobile artillery can get within range though success is not high.

10 SS Panzer Jager Battalion
Finally it may be possible to take out the above unit, though this depends on its variable start location, and can normally only be spotted if XXX Corps get as far as Valkenswasrd. If it is spotted it can be hit with an air strike and then a mobile artillery strike probable from the long range mobile Guards AD unit.

From reading the proceeding, there is more air strikes being used than there are available so some kind of priority must be given. My personnel preference is do the ones along the road first and if possible take out Valkenswaard before considering the units along the flanks.

From my start and the kills image below, I achieved about half of what i consider is possible so have probable done about par. In addition on turn 1 GAD gets a plus seven shift, while XXX Corps units only get plus five, so it can be worth using GAD units in attacks to get the extra shifts.
End of turn XXX Corps
Kills Turn 1 XXX Corps
Best possible start for XXX Corps

Airborne Forces
101st Airborne Sector

The 101st has probable had a sub par drop though, when moving units only the Zon bridge has blown (which is very likely (2-6 chance)). 101st objective is to try and gain a bridge across the Wilhelmina Canal, stop bridges being blown at St Odenrode and support the 501 Parachute Regiment in its drop to the north about Veghel, this includes gaining control of Hex (14,70) so units can cross the bridge.

The 501 Parachute Regiment has a number of Objectives, gain control of hex (12,68) Kovering, protect its supply source hex (12,65) and test the bridges south of Veghel. Of these bridges at 15,62, 15,64 and 19,67 have been blown by their alert garrisons. Hopefully the remaining bridges will remain standing.

Note: Rail bridges blow on a 4-6 while the highway bridges only blow on a 6 unless otherwise specified.

Start of Turn 101st
End of Turn 101st

82nd Airborne Sector

The 82nd has probable had a slightly above par drop, as its been possible to capture Grave on turn 1 Hex (26,44). Elsewhere units of the 82nd advance to expand the perimeter and a stroke of luck sees the bridge at hex (36, 41) blow. This is useful as its one of the avenues of approach for the 107 Panzer Brigade.

Start of Turn 82nd
End of Turn 82nd

1st Airborne Sector

The 1st has what i consider a very good drop as seen in conjunction with the random placement of German units, its allowed units to advance a considerable distance and get extra units into Arnhem which should make things interesting for German forces. As can be seen I have not blown the 2nd bridge along the Neder hoping that the 9th SS Recon unit will come across, though I think this is unlikely, it will either be blown on turn 2 or if it stays up I will try and keep it open for the moment.

Start of Turn 1st AB
End of Turn 1st AB

Placement of Air interdiction

I use one to the east to stop the escape of units in this sector easily and one in the north to slow the movement of the 10 SS Panzer Jager Battalion, as stopping this getting to Vgehel on turn 2 I consider a priority, even if it means allowing other units to escape to the east where 2 air interdictions means potentially a lot more can be captured as long as the bridge hex (21,107) remains standing.
Talos
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby Talos » Sun May 04, 2008 10:56 pm

OPERATION MARKET GARDEN ALLIED TURN 2

XXX Corps

Well XXX Corps do not have a great day at the office. German units have managed to blow the bridge at hex (14,87) and when driving up the highway the Garrison at Aalst hex (15,89) have blown the bridge here which means XXX Corps do not get to Eindhoven today. This leaves a bit of a problem on what to do this turn with XXX Corps, after a bit of thought I decide to send part of the Guards AD via Dommelen and come at Eindhoven from the SW where there are no rivers blocking the way. Else where all XXX Corps artillery and and Air support are used to remove the strong point in Nijmagen town center and bridging units are moved forward to get across the latest obstacle.

The only other thing of note this turn is having part of the Hussars finish off 2 BN 21 SS Panzer Grenadier Regt to the east before it can escape.

XXX Corps start
XXX Corps end
XXX Corps kills

Well having dealt with the bad news of the day lets get on to the good news for the allies as the Airborne troops in all sectors excel themselves.

101st Airborne

German troops failed to blow the road bridge to the west along the Wilhelmina canal yesterday, so an attack is launched on 2 companies and KG Rink inflicting some casualties but not making the retreat so their will still be a chance of the bridge being blown today providing they are still in supply. Further north at St Odenrode troops attack a Battalion of Grenadiers and inflict casualties but again are unable to force a retreat. Normally this would slow the advance of XX Corps up, but as XXX Corps are stuck south of Eindhoven still, it is not a problem at the moment. The real bonus news of the day is up by Veghel as both the rail and remaining highway bridges are secured by units of the 501st and garrisons are deployed to keep German units away from blowing the bridges.

101st start
101st end
101st kills

101st to the 82nd Airborne

Good news here as units of the outstanding 501st capture Uden and then push to meet a unit from the 82nd as the entire road is opened up to allied control apart from Zeeland which is expected to fall tomorrow.

101st to 82nd end turn dispositions

82nd Airborne

Today is really the only chance for the 82nd to push into Nijmagen before German reinforcements start to trickle in the from the east. The object is to gain as much ground as possible to the east and set up some forward defensive positions and then fall back to the strong points and minefields being prepared further west. (Note all mine fields and strong points for American troops should be used here as this will be the place where the greatest enemy strength and attacks are to be expected, especially with XXX Corps already delayed). I place my strong points if possible at the following locations hexes (41,31; 41, 33; 41,35; 40,38) while the minefields are deployed about Groesbeek along the roads.

Objectives for the 82nd are to blow the bridge at hex (46,46), so as to impede the progress of 107 Panzer Brigade, though it can not be stopped. Head west along the banks of the Maas and the Waal to act is scouts just in case units decide to arrive in the west and in the case of the Maas unit to blow the bridge at hex (19,39). With this bridge down the only way across the Maas is at Grave which is controlled by the 82nd .

At Nijmagen itself good progress is made into the town itself, as the defenders to the east are bypassed as units of the 504 regiment come close to the town center. It will be interesting to see if any main line German units can get back to the the support units guarding the bridge crossings especially to the west Hex (32,31), if not it may be possible to capture this tomorrow which will be a major bonus for the allied cause.

Note: The recon unit of the 9th SS is to the north of the Waal so it can not intervene at Nijmagen though it can certainly add to the 1st AB problems.

82nd start
82nd end

1st Airborne

Hmm here initially things do not seem so good as the 9th and 10th SS panzer troops plus supporting units have heavily attacked the 1st AB and inflicted the first casualty as part of the 1st AB got surrounded and cut off as can be seen from the kills so far. Still not to be disheartened, the hold of the Axis troops here so far is weak, though the priority must be to get control of the ferry to stop any reinforcements heading south to Nijmagen.

As can been from the kills map a number of attack were launched by the 1st AB (special attack was used to take out the unit of the 9th SS at the ferry).

Note: this unit is now a permanent kill and can not re-appear from the dead pile which is a bonus as it evolves to a very strong unit. Generally where possible and i have the option I will go for units that are permanently killed as it creates less units to worry about in the long term.

Elsewhere subsequent attacks are used to take out some units of II corps and reform a slightly shorter defensive line, though I am expecting more attacks tomorrow as there do not seem to be any units heading across the river to support troops at Nijmagen via the ferry. So it looks like an all out attack on the 1st AB has been chosen by Islander.

Overall this has been a good day for allied troops with the majority of the highway opened up and the 82nd making considerable inroad into Nijmagen. The downsides are XXX Corps slow advance and the heavy attacks against 1st AB. Its likely tomorrows operations in Nijmagen could be potentially decisive.

1st AB start
1st AB end
1st AB kills

Placement of Air Interdiction, Partisans, Strong Points and Minefields

All interdictions are used about Eindhoven and to the Wilhelmina canal to slow movement and hopefully put several units out of supply next to the highway and rail bridge at the canal. The Strong point for BC forces is placed along the highway and the minefield is used to guard an exit from a minor road onto the highway.
Talos
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby Talos » Sun May 04, 2008 10:59 pm

OPERATION MARKET GARDEN TURN 3

XXX Corps

Plans for todays operations for XXX Corps are to take Eindhoven and get as far north as possible while also swinging out to the east, its also where the Hussars and the Royal Tank Regiment will start to split from the Guards Armoured Division (GAD). Obviously during the night Islanders forces have been busy because there are a significant number of blown bridges now about Eindhoven, though this should not be a major problem to XXX Corps forces. Operations proceed as planned as the bridge at Aalst is repaired and in Eindhoven the 10th SS Panzer Jager Battalion of Kamfungruppe Heinke is destroyed using a special attack after a successful artillery strike. On the northern outskirts of Eindhoven amongst the bunkers a number of Flak regiments are discovered, with ground units unable to get with in range during today the air force is called in in with multiple air strikes which result in the destruction of one bunker and Flak unit. Under the cover of this air bombardment GAD forces push on past and link up with units of the 101st.

The Bunker is placed in Aalst and the mine is used at Hex 16,107, while air interdiction is used to cut what i think will be the main German movement route to the east and supply in the west. This can be seen on the end turn map for the 101st.

XXX Corps start

XXX Corps end

XXX Corps kills

101st Airborne

Plans for the 101st today are to help the 82nd capture Zeeland surround and attack the unit at St Odenrode, test the highway bridge over the Wilhelmina canal and link up with XXX Corps. Plans pretty much go as expected as Zeeland is captured, and units of the 501 and 502 attack at St Odenrode removing the bunker and launching an under strength attack to put the defending unit out of supply. The bridge over the Wilhelmina canal remains standing and units of the 506 link up with XXX Corps, remaining units of the 101 dig in. The supply and HQ units for the 501 move to Veghel.

101 Start

101 End

101st to the 82nd

Nothing much to report apart from the highway is fully open between the 101st and the 82nd and its now just a question of keeping it open. Units of the 501 will be used to Garrison the road up to Grave where the 82nd will take over, until XXX Corps forces arrive.

101st to the 82nd End Turn 3

82nd Airborne

Islander has been unable to reinforce the two artillery units in the bunkers at Nijmagen which should allow the 82nd to have a good chance of destroying both units and getting to the railway bridge, the previous turn of not retreating the main combat units to guard the bridge crossings and town center has now caused a problem for German forces here. Other operations for the 82nd include attacking any unoccupied bunkers while building a strong defensive line to the east to stop the inevitable German counter attack.

Combat is initiated against the 19th SS Artillery Battalion in Nijmagen Town Center by units of the 504th and 508th Parachute Regiments, units combine to get an automatic overrun attack against the bunker and because its a support unit and not a combat unit no attack supply is used, the bunker is removed and the arty unit dispatched. The same process is used against the 21st SS Artillery Battalion, though FPF causes a step loss to one of the attacking units. A unit of the 504th moves next to the railway bridge and it remains in one piece so the northern bank of the railway bridge is occupied (hopefully releasing the 43rd Division of XXX Corps if I can stay there for a turn which will make life a lot easier for the allied cause). While the bulk of the 504th form a perimeter around the remaining units at Nijmagen the bulk of the 508th is sent east to help in defending against German Counter attacks.

As an added bonus the supply dump in Nijmagen is now no longer available to German forces, so all supply will be coming across the highway bridge, though the supply truck still in Nijmagen has 4 supply barrels.

Other operations carried out by the 82nd today are in the west two companies of the 504th finish gaining territory and move to support remaining units of the regiment in Nijmagen before they recombine. While a company of the 506th blows the bridge at Hex 46,46, so the only way across the Maas River is via Grave for the moment and artillery is used on German units un-entrenched in the open to east with minimal success.

Strongpoints and mines are placed along the defensive line in the east at Mook and 46,36 and 42,35, 42,34, 41,39 and 40,39 respectively.

82nd Start Turn 3

82nd End Turn 3

1st Airborne

Islander's German forces have been busy as a number of attacks have been launched against 1st AB forces inflicting casualties and some minor loss of territory but no KIA's. Plans for 1st AB today will be to form a strong defensive line pretty much where they are at the moment and launch 1 attack using the special attack feature where I think has the best chance of destroying German units. After some deliberation I chose Hex 30,14 where the 1st Battalion 20 SS PZG of 9th SS and the Alarn Company of II Corps are situated, both with a step loss and not dug in. Using the special attack feature means I should destroy both units after getting odds of 8-1 with an automatic overrun so units can entrench after which is the primary consideration, the attack succeeds but A2-D3 which is not ideal but 1st then dig in after and wait for the counter attack. I am having a tough time here but because the 9th SS have not gone to reinforce Nijmagen the 82nd has had a very easy time.

1st Airborne Start Turn 3

1st Airborne End Turn 3

1st Airborne Kills Turn 3

Conclusion for Allied Turn 3
The allied forces have had a good day, especially at Nijmagen, also that there is almost an entire un-interrupted path for XXX Corps to Nijmagen. With luck tomorrow, unless German forces can cut the highway some of XXX Corps should get close to Grave after destroying remaining German forces along the highway (units of the 59th Infantry Division at various locations. My major concern is the 1st AB and if they can hold out for at least 3 turns without suffering major casualties. The 82nd will also look to expand its perimeter on the northern bank of the Waal before any German reinforcements arrive.

Also as a general principle if my units are doing nothing else they should be converting territory to the allied cause, it may prove useful at some point.
Talos
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby Joe » Wed May 07, 2008 11:43 am

A crafty German player, can take some units that begin just to the right of XXX Corps, and move these east thereby saving them.

The plan would be to wait till about turn 8 or 9 and, together with reinforcements from the off map area, drive west just south of Eindhoven thereby cutting supply to XXX Corps.

Was that included in you're plan?

-
Joe
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Talos » Thu May 08, 2008 4:46 am

Joe wrote:A crafty German player, can take some units that begin just to the right of XXX Corps, and move these east thereby saving them.

The plan would be to wait till about turn 8 or 9 and, together with reinforcements from the off map area, drive west just south of Eindhoven thereby cutting supply to XXX Corps.

Was that included in you're plan?

-

Its a possible option for the German player but is fairly easily stopped by the Hussars or RTR as i leave one of these formation about Eindhoven as well as the Irene brigade. In addition I push out the perimiter in this area as far as the river as well as placing judicious mines at key locations and blowing a bridge or two and have even used one of the BC strong points in the past. A better place to counter attack is along the Uden, Zeeland, Grave highway, where a relatively small proportion of Axis units can have an affect out of all proportion to their numbers.

The ideal scenario is to attack at the south of the map as noted by the FJ chill regiment i mentioned earlier (or maybe from the east as well, tried this against Aberdeen with so so success), Eindhoven and the highway, bascially giving the allied commander to many threats to deal with in any one turn though timing is crucial. Also the units that pull out of the east side of the map via OMA normally end up facing the Poles.
Talos
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby jjdenver » Tue Mar 30, 2010 1:16 am

Note: this unit is now a permanent kill and can not re-appear from the dead pile which is a bonus as it evolves to a very strong unit. Generally where possible and i have the option I will go for units that are permanently killed as it creates less units to worry about in the long term.

If a units detail says "one life" does this mean it can be reformed one time after being eliminated? Or does this mean it won't get any rebirth?

When a para unit says "merges on turn 4" how does this work? Does it need to be stacked w/ another unit? If they aren't stacked how does the game choose what hex to place the merged unit in?

Also is there a way to reduce the rubble caused by XXX corp attacks against strongpoints in the German line on turn 1? i.e. the very first hexes attacked often result in rubble- how is this reduced? In Talos' AAR it appears there is very little rubble.

Thanks!
jjdenver
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Return to Battlefront Play By Email (PBEM)