Changing Turn Length ?

Got an interesting idea about a new scenario design? ...or maybe you just need some help with the Scenario Editor; this is the place!

Moderators: AlexS, Run5 Staff, SSG Staff

Changing Turn Length ?

Postby Richard III » Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:34 am

Wow... no new posts here in over a year. :(

My question is.......is it possible to use the editor and take an existing scenario and _just_ change the turn length ??

If not too complex, I would like to do this for the TAO scenario in BII or even in BIN.

Example would be the " On To Paris" 76 turn scenario in BIN.

I realize we would probably lose the AI at turn 33 as OTP did but that`s OK IMO. Also it might give that landmark game new legs.

Thanks
Richard III
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Postby JSS » Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:33 pm

Direct answer is that yes, you can edit a scenario and increase the turn length (80 turns is the max possible).

You would have to update all turn, OOB, unit arrival, objective, country, etc... settings for the additional turns.

This is best done by making it a new scenario (different scenario name and in its own folder) as opening an official SSG scenario in the editor and then saving via the editor will prevent you from playing the official scenario by PBEM... you'll get version error.
Current PBEM Games
1. Sealion (Air Parity) t11 out

JSS
Site Admin

Postby Richard III » Sat Jun 12, 2010 3:49 am

JSS wrote:Direct answer is that yes, you can edit a scenario and increase the turn length (80 turns is the max possible).

You would have to update all turn, OOB, unit arrival, objective, country, etc... settings for the additional turns.

This is best done by making it a new scenario (different scenario name and in its own folder) as opening an official SSG scenario in the editor and then saving via the editor will prevent you from playing the official scenario by PBEM... you'll get version error.

OK ....what happen if I _ just_ increase the turn length without updating the unit arrival,oob stuff ?

I never play PBEM so I don`t care about version changes.

I tried editing the TAO scenario with the editor in the old KP, could`t load TAO...

Perhaps I should ask it this way:

I, like many guys, just play against the tough & excellent AI, so don`t care about PBEM.

All I want to do is edit one of the TAO versions to 65 turns.

All I want to do is edit out some/most of the US strongpoints near the West Wall to give the Germans a fighting chance to get the spearpoint to the Muse. Like the original TAO.

That`s all.

Can that be done reasonably simply without a massive re-build of the scenario OOB, units on the map, allied ( Brit ) reinforcement triggers, etc for turns past the default # ??

Thanks !!

Rich
Richard III
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Postby JSS » Sat Jun 12, 2010 8:38 am

Richard III wrote:
OK ....what happen if I _ just_ increase the turn length without updating the unit arrival,oob stuff ?

Basically you're fine until the extra turns come along. Then you have no scenario info and the game will likely crash. You have to add in the day by day info requirements for the extra turns. Undoubtedly you'll want to update the VP settings for objectives too.

I tried editing the TAO scenario with the editor in the old KP, could`t load TAO...

Perhaps I should ask it this way:

I, like many guys, just play against the tough & excellent AI, so don`t care about PBEM.

All I want to do is edit one of the TAO versions to 65 turns.

All I want to do is edit out some/most of the US strongpoints near the West Wall to give the Germans a fighting chance to get the spearpoint to the Muse. Like the original TAO.

That`s all.

Can that be done reasonably simply without a massive re-build of the scenario OOB, units on the map, allied ( Brit ) reinforcement triggers, etc for turns past the default # ??

Thanks !!

Rich

Complete redesign is not a requirement... adding values to cover the additional turns is.
JSS
Site Admin

Postby pete AU » Sat Jun 12, 2010 12:23 pm

It may seem like a simple thing to do - but there is alot of work you'll need to do to get the game to play.
History is an argument without end
Projects - Iskra (available to download), Stalingrad Pocket (ver101 finished and available to download), Guadalcanal (map done), Guadalajara (playtesting - volounteers?), Napoleonic Borodino (volounteers?)
ImageImageImageImage Image Image
pete AU
Colonel
Colonel

Return to Battlefront Scenario Design