Battle for Soltsy: available soon

Got an interesting idea about a new scenario design? ...or maybe you just need some help with the Scenario Editor; this is the place!

Moderators: AlexS, Run5 Staff, SSG Staff

Battle for Soltsy: available soon

Postby Ian » Wed Jul 16, 2008 9:06 pm

Hi to all

My new project for Battlefront is a small scenario based on the battle for Soltsy during July 1941. I included the map which is done. I’m busy with creating the units for both Germany and Russia. The scenario should be available in a week or two.

The German Order of battle includes LVI Army Korps with 4 divisions.
The Russian Order of battle includes 34th Army with 6 divisions.

Historical Situation: On 10 July 1941 German Panzer Group 4 renewed its offensive toward Leningrad with two Panzer Korps, XLI Korps (Reinhard) direct at Leningrad through Luga and LVI Korps (Von Manstein) through Soltsy and Shimsk to cut off Leningrad from the south and east.

For a while the offensive moved swiftly with the advanced elements of 8 Panzer Division attached to LVI Korps arriving east of Soltsy by dusk on the 13th July. At the same time, Soviet command observed how LVI Korps was strung out along the road to Shimsk.

With Reinhard’s XLI Korps diverted well to the north the day before, Soviet command was convinced their moment for a counter-offensive had come. The Russian diverted reinforcements already on the way and reorganized them into northern and southern pincers to cut-off and surround Manstein’s LVI Korps.

On the 15th July the Soviet hammer struck. While the German 3 Motorized divisions was busy fending off heavy attacks on their positions at Gorodishche and rear echelons fought off raids across the Shelon River in the south, 8 Panzer Division found itself quickly surrounded and under attack by the Soviet 70th Rifle Division and parts off 21st Tank Division.

Now the 8 Panzer Division had to yield. It reorganized for all-round defense and during the 17th July completed its breakout to the west to link up with LVI Korps after heavy fighting.

Till later
Ian
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby Joe » Wed Jul 16, 2008 9:20 pm

Fabulous!

-
Joe
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Noakesy » Wed Jul 16, 2008 9:59 pm

Sounds great Ian - will this be for BF or the new Kharkov game system (I seem to recall some earlier note on the forums suggesting you were working on porting Prokhorovka to that system too)?
Image ImageImage
Noakesy
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Ian » Wed Jul 16, 2008 11:12 pm

Noakesy, this one is for BF. Once Kharkov is released I will attempt to port both Prokhorovka and Soltsy to the Kharkov engine. :)
Ian
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby fjell75 » Thu Jul 17, 2008 6:39 pm

You are a miracle-man, Ian :D
Impressive...
Thank you so much for your hard wok, mate!
fjell75
Corporal
Corporal

Postby Noakesy » Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:02 pm

Ian wrote:Noakesy, this one is for BF. Once Kharkov is released I will attempt to port both Prokhorovka and Soltsy to the Kharkov engine. :)

Well, if Gregor's email is anything to go by this morning, you'll be able to port them pretty soon :D :D

As I'm joining in the multi-player Prokhorovka (I'll finish my turn on Friday) I've now had the chance to look at this properly - it's a great piece of work Ian, well done (and 'thanks' of course).
Image ImageImage
Noakesy
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Ian » Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:45 pm

Noakesy wrote:Well, if Gregor's email is anything to go by this morning, you'll be able to port them pretty soon :D :D

As I'm joining in the multi-player Prokhorovka (I'll finish my turn on Friday) I've now had the chance to look at this properly - it's a great piece of work Ian, well done (and 'thanks' of course).

Noakesy, yes I can’t wait. I did try out a test run during the testing of Kharkov. Everything works fine when I simply copied the Prokhorovka folder over to the Kharkov scenario folder. Some minor adjustments have to be made to movement values and such. But overall the port process should be a fairly quick process.

By the way…what side have you joined on the Prokhorovka multi-player game, German or Russian?
Ian
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby Noakesy » Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:56 pm

Ian wrote:By the way…what side have you joined on the Prokhorovka multi-player game, German or Russian?

I'm with Russki's, in command of the doomed 1st Tank Army :wink: :D
Image ImageImage
Noakesy
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Ian » Fri Jul 18, 2008 12:14 am

Noakesy wrote:I'm with Russki's, in command of the doomed 1st Tank Army :wink: :D

The 1st Tank Army!! That means we will be seeing much more off each other on the battlefield my friend. Since I’m playing the commander of 48 Panzer Korps and 52 Infantry Korps located directly south of your positions. :o
Ian
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby Howard7x » Wed Sep 17, 2008 2:36 am

Hi Ian,

Hows this one coming along?
Never, ever.... ever again!

Image ImageImageImageImage
Howard7x
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby Abwehr » Wed Sep 17, 2008 7:57 am

A version for Kharkov: Disaster on the Donets has been released a while ago, with a boardgame map. It's great.

Not sure what the progress on the Battlefront version is.
Abwehr
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Ian » Thu Sep 18, 2008 1:45 am

Hi guys

Lately I have been swamped with work, so I have not had time to spend doing what I love to do and that’s making scenarios. (I’m self employed, so the amount of work I do is directly proportionate to the amount of food I eat.)

Hopefully I can make enough money in the coming weeks and have time to sit down and finish this one. Also with the AI tutorial that SSG has release I can try to make an aggressive AI opponent.

But I don’t want to get ahead of myself, since I’ve already made some promises I could not keep. That does not mean I wrote the scenario off at all, its still on my pc.

Till later
Ian
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby Howard7x » Thu Sep 18, 2008 4:31 am

A scenario for DotD? I have not seen that posted anywhere?
Never, ever.... ever again!

Image ImageImageImageImage
Howard7x
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby Joe » Thu Sep 18, 2008 8:04 am

Its posted under:

Kharkov scenario design

Boardgame conversion
Joe
Colonel
Colonel