New to Battlefront

Got an interesting idea about a new scenario design? ...or maybe you just need some help with the Scenario Editor; this is the place!

Moderators: AlexS, Run5 Staff, SSG Staff

New to Battlefront

Postby Rook » Sun May 11, 2008 12:35 am

Gentlemen,

I'm new to BF and I do not own any other SSG/Run5 games ( :oops: shame-on-me). The questions I'm looking for answers to are probably covered in detail in their other titles. I've referenced the revised user manual / editor and this sub-forum, so I've done my homework.

I would like to contribute to BF and I thoroughly understand that the task of scenario creation is not for the light hearted (I bow to Ian & Prokhorovka). However I need some basic information before I start my objective.

1) What is the maximum size (height & width) of the map in hexes.

2) Is there a minimum size?

3) What is the maximum size (height & width) of the map in pixels.

4) Is there a minimum size?

Thats is enough for now. My thanks to any and all who reply and a sincere pleasure to virtually meet all of you.

Regards,

Rook
Rook
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby Ian » Sun May 11, 2008 5:20 am

Hi and welcome Rook

1) What is the maximum size (height & width) of the map in hexes?

2) Is there a minimum size?

3) What is the maximum size (height & width) of the map in pixels?

4) Is there a minimum size?

1. 250 x 250 hexes. That’s the maximum values allowed when creating a new battle when I last checked.
2. I don’t know, I think there is a minimum. Try playing around with some hex values here.
3 & 4. That will depend on the size of your map in hexes. I have added a link that explains how to create a new battle set and map.

Hope this helps a bit
Till later
Attachments
Creating a New BattleSet and a New Map.pdf
(43.01 KiB) Downloaded 589 times
Ian
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby Strax » Sun May 11, 2008 7:46 pm

Ian,
Thanks for the link.
Strax
Major
Major

Postby Rook » Sun May 11, 2008 11:14 pm

Thank you Ian.

Apparently creating a map is identical to the DB series.

Regards,

Rook
Rook
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby Joe » Mon May 12, 2008 8:41 am

Instead of creating a new map, you could use an existing map.

Then change the variables in relation to the units and the scenario generally and then you have a completely new scenario!

-
Joe
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Ian » Mon May 12, 2008 7:05 pm

Yes Joe, that’s what I did at first trying my hand at a new scenario.

When I started a new scenario it was a bit overwhelming at first. For example the CRT data and Terrain data was way to complex for me to build from scratch.
So what I did was:
1. Create new battle for edit within the Battlefront engine.
2. Exit Battlefront engine, using windows explorer browse to C:\Matrix Games\Battlefront\Scenarios. Inside Novorossisk folder copy and paste “crtData.bfs” and “terrainData.bfs” (important note: not terrain.bfs) files to your new battle folder. Windows will ask you whether you want to overwrite the existing files, click the yes button. Make sure you back up your new battle folder first before you copy/paste new files. And also take care not to overwrite any files in the other scenario folders or this will cause problems with any PBEM games you gave currently. (I used Novorossisk because the CRT and Terrain best suited the condition I wanted to recreate, but you could use any of the other Battlefront scenarios depending on your requirements.)

Now fire up the editor and load your new battle for edit, you will notice you have a complete CRT and Terrain data in seconds. From here it’s easy to make changes to either the CRT or Terrain to suite your preference.

The above may also be true for “countryData.bfs” and “ScenarioData.bfs” files, although you may need to edit some fields in the editor to get the right data.bmp file to display correctly.
Ian
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby Rook » Tue May 13, 2008 3:09 am

I believe that is a great sugguestion.

Does anyone have a suggested MTO scenario that is fairly small?

Regards,
Rook
Rook
Sergeant
Sergeant

Return to Battlefront Scenario Design