Map Editor

Got an interesting idea about a new scenario design? ...or maybe you just need some help with the Scenario Editor; this is the place!

Moderators: AlexS, Run5 Staff, SSG Staff

Map Editor

Postby Mensch » Sun Apr 06, 2008 12:40 pm

I've recently acquired this gem. Is there anyone out there who can provide a run down of map creation. I've read the map creation threads for the other SSG games and I gather the process is somewhat similar. The problem I am having is once I've added terrain and a road to a very simple map, I can figure out what to do after that.

Any help or links to threads where this has been answered would be greatly appreciated.
Mensch
Private
Private

Re: Map Editor

Postby JSS » Sun Apr 06, 2008 1:32 pm

Mensch wrote:I've recently acquired this gem. Is there anyone out there who can provide a run down of map creation. I've read the map creation threads for the other SSG games and I gather the process is somewhat similar. The problem I am having is once I've added terrain and a road to a very simple map, I can figure out what to do after that.

Any help or links to threads where this has been answered would be greatly appreciated.

Quick note on map building before getting to your question: Always designate the terrain types early in your planning (have a name for each!). You should build CRTs for each of your terrain types before doing the map data work... even a CRT that is an initial version is fine... just get the name right :)

Sounds like you've assigned hex types and put in road/rail routes. Here's a quick run thru the other key areas:

In the editor start with "1" All Map Functions...

Then select "1" Map Data...

Use "8" Map Features... This allows you to place mine fields, set height values, put in rivers and cliff sides, and to set initial control of the hexes.

Use "9" Map Lanes if you're going to have amphibious operations.

Next go all the way back to '1"All Map Functions and select "2" Terrain. Here's where the heavy lifting of creating your map data takes place.

"1" Terrain Data is a critical area... build terrain data for each terrain type (you chose the combat CRTs from a drop down menu... that's why the CRTs are build first). Every entry is important except the blue-red-green values (I don't use these).

"2" Rivers and Cliffs: Here you specify move costs and ability to cross by unit movement type plus for supply type movement.

"3" Road & Rail: You specify how many OPs in movement cost are used by unit moving along each type of road & along railroads (separate values for each movement type). This is for units moving normally... movement capability for using motor pool or rail transport are set in the country data area of the editor.

"4" Lanes: You specify amphibious landing criteria (steps and range of enemy forces for causing landing casualties & ability to move/fight after landing).

This is a quick run down. It helps to look a completed scenario and see how values are assigned (just don't 'save' in the editor when looking at these!).
Current PBEM Games
1. Sealion (Air Parity) t11 out

JSS
Site Admin

Postby Mensch » Sun Apr 06, 2008 10:29 pm

Thanks for the reply.

So with a new scenario I:

1) Went in a built an empty CRT for terrains Clear & Forest.
2) Defined these terrains on the Terrain page.
3) Covered the map using Clear and Forest Terrain.
4) Added a minor road.
5) Changed the Control.
6) Saved.

If understand things correctly, I need to use the Build Map screen now. But I'm not sure how this works.

Also, I noticed that you have to click on the button with the "white piece of paper" icon on the CRT screen before the combat odds show up and the CRT actually works as it should. What exactly does this button do? I've figured out that the others near it are copy, paste and cut, but I don't know what that is. New?

Sorry for so many questions. I have searched every post on this board and at Matrix for answers. And as I'm sure others have pointed out, the problem with the manual is not that it doesn't define the buttons for the editor, but it doesn't walk you through the process, which seems to have a process. :)

Thanks again
Mensch
Private
Private

Re: Map Editor

Postby Ian » Mon Apr 07, 2008 4:48 pm

Mensch wrote:I've recently acquired this gem. Is there anyone out there who can provide a run down of map creation. I've read the map creation threads for the other SSG games and I gather the process is somewhat similar. The problem I am having is once I've added terrain and a road to a very simple map, I can figure out what to do after that.

Hi Mensch

Not so long ago I was struggling with the same problem. Read the attached document. This is not my work. I found it on SSG's site. Also it was written for Korsun Pocket but there are a lot of similarities as far as map making is concerned.

By the way welcome and good luck with your project.
Attachments
Creating a New BattleSet and a New Map.pdf
(43.01 KiB) Downloaded 542 times
Ian
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby Mensch » Mon Apr 07, 2008 9:04 pm

Thanks! That was just what I was looking for. Between times I figured out one problem. A real D'oh moment. I was looking for the mapdumpXXX in the scenario folder. Lo and behold, I had 50-something dump files in the main folder. :)
Mensch
Private
Private

Postby JSS » Tue Apr 08, 2008 12:01 am

Mensch wrote:
If understand things correctly, I need to use the Build Map screen now. But I'm not sure how this works.

I think the Build Map is a tool for letting you look at all the data entry now(kind of a preview type action)... otherwise you have to save/exit/enter edit mode again to see all your work.

Also, I noticed that you have to click on the button with the "white piece of paper" icon on the CRT screen before the combat odds show up and the CRT actually works as it should. What exactly does this button do? I've figured out that the others near it are copy, paste and cut, but I don't know what that is. New?

Yes, the blank page is the New button. Its used everywhere (pretty much) in the editor when you're adding something.
Current PBEM Games
1. Sealion (Air Parity) t11 out

JSS
Site Admin

Return to Battlefront Scenario Design