Prokhorovka Map

Got an interesting idea about a new scenario design? ...or maybe you just need some help with the Scenario Editor; this is the place!

Moderators: AlexS, Run5 Staff, SSG Staff

Prokhorovka Map

Postby Ian » Mon Mar 31, 2008 12:21 am

Hi everyone

At the cost of countless hours and almost a girlfriend later I think that the map for Prokhorovka is done.

Please have a look; I would like to hear your comments…good or bad.
The scale is 1km per hex.

Till later

Ian
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby fjell75 » Mon Mar 31, 2008 3:45 am

Looks great, mate :D
fjell75
Corporal
Corporal

Postby Doggie3 » Wed Apr 02, 2008 12:11 am

Yep, looks good! :)

Cheers,
ImageImageImage
Doggie3
Major
Major

Postby Abwehr » Wed Apr 02, 2008 8:28 am

The map looks nice, the only possible problem with it that I can think of currently is that some of the counters might be a bit unclear on some parts of the terrain.
Abwehr
Colonel
Colonel

Re: Prokhorovka Map

Postby Brubaker » Wed Apr 02, 2008 12:28 pm

Ian wrote:At the cost of countless hours and almost a girlfriend later I think that the map for Prokhorovka is done.

That looks outstanding Ian (even at that tiny scale) - congratulations! :D

Brubaker
Brubaker
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Luppas » Wed Apr 02, 2008 11:32 pm

Definitly good! Very good work! Congratulations!

Greetings,

Luppas
Luppas
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Postby Ian » Thu Apr 03, 2008 12:57 am

Abwehr wrote:The map looks nice, the only possible problem with it that I can think of currently is that some of the counters might be a bit unclear on some parts of the terrain.

Thanks for noticing that. Once I start play testing I will see if the map is too dark. I can always make the map lighter in Photoshop.

I’m busy creating units in a spreadsheet. It’s easy to balance the values of the different units because I can see everything.

Now just a question at this point. Do I need anybody’s permission to use the graphics from other scenarios? For example when creating a new battle the game engine creates a German and US units bitmap, but no Russians. So I downloaded the Kursk scenario for KP I think it was and used some of the images to build a new set of bitmaps.
Ian
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby Luppas » Thu Apr 03, 2008 1:47 am

Hi Ian,

one question, can you upload the map in a higher resolution so that we can see it a bit more detailed?

Cheers,

Luppas
Luppas
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Postby JSS » Thu Apr 03, 2008 10:15 am

Ian wrote:
...Now just a question at this point. Do I need anybody’s permission to use the graphics from other scenarios? For example when creating a new battle the game engine creates a German and US units bitmap, but no Russians. So I downloaded the Kursk scenario for KP I think it was and used some of the images to build a new set of bitmaps.

No one has raised any concerns about this.

It's good form to mention in the scenario notes who you borrowed graphics from (if they are unique unit or other pix).
Current PBEM Games
1. Sealion (Air Parity) t11 out

JSS
Site Admin

Postby Chris Merchant » Thu Apr 03, 2008 10:29 am

I’m busy creating units in a spreadsheet. It’s easy to balance the values of the different units because I can see everything.

Wrote that one down. What a great idea Ian!

Also, I believe there's a way to dump new units data info out of the scenario editor, but I am not sure how comprehensive that info is.

cheers
Chris Merchant
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby Ian » Fri Apr 04, 2008 7:38 am

Luppas wrote:Hi Ian,

one question, can you upload the map in a higher resolution so that we can see it a bit more detailed?

Cheers,

Luppas

Sure, here you go

Ian
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby Chris Merchant » Fri Apr 04, 2008 9:08 am

that is one sweet map. Looking forward to seeing some panzers on it :-)

cheers
Chris Merchant
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby Joe » Fri Apr 04, 2008 10:10 am

Terrific looking map!

Where in Russia is Prokhorovka?

-
Joe
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Brubaker » Fri Apr 04, 2008 12:26 pm

Joe wrote:Where in Russia is Prokhorovka?
-

:shock: :oops:

Was that a joke Joe and I am just not getting it?

Prok. is a village sort of midway between Kursk and Belgorod. It was just east of the assualt planned for the southern wing of the Kursk Battle in July 1943. The southern attack had ground forward only to be halted at the (?) river. The SS Panzer Corps turned northeast to go around, and it was on the heights and plains around this village that the SS Panzer Corps had its monstrous battle with the Soviet armoured reserves - the largest tank battle of the war and possibly of all time.

Out of interest it was possibly this very (Prok.) battle which decided the war. Although Kursk operation is often seen as a German failure (and it was) the tank battle at Prok. was actually balanced on a very fine wire. The German forces, despite shocking losses, were actually gaining the initiative at the time Hitler called it off (because of the Sicily invasion). The Soviet tank forces deployed in this portion of the battle were the strongest the Soviets had and the only big armoured reserve available.

Had the Prok. battle continued a week longer, it is very likely that the Soviet armour would have been defeated, the SS Korps continued on to Kursk thereby surrounding a force to the west equivalent to Kiev in 1941, and relieved pressure on the Soviet counterattacks in the north of the salient. It would not have won the war but it would very likely have forced the Soviets into a strategic retreat in the area, thus delaying or stopping the Soviet counterthrust that would (in late July) eventually carry them through to the Dnepr. It might well have forced the stalemate on the eastern front that the Germans required to avoid catastrophe.

It was a huge battle on both tactcial and strategic levels. I can't wait...

Brubaker
Brubaker
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Brubaker » Fri Apr 04, 2008 12:31 pm

Ian I have to repeat that this is a fantastic map - possibly the best I have ever seen in this series :shock: I really love it.

Out of interest what are the 2 thin lines running laterally across the map with perpendicular extensions running off them? Are these defensive trenches or perhaps contour lines?

Cheers

Brubaker
Brubaker
Colonel
Colonel

Next

Return to Battlefront Scenario Design