Problems encountered during scenario creation.

Got an interesting idea about a new scenario design? ...or maybe you just need some help with the Scenario Editor; this is the place!

Moderators: AlexS, Run5 Staff, SSG Staff

Problems encountered during scenario creation.

Postby Captain Cruft » Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:44 pm

I realise there is no chance of a patch any time soon but thought it was still worth while logging these problems that I have come across while editing scenarios.

1) Defined airstrikes do not match what is available in game.

This is a really weird one, and there seems to be no pattern to it at all. Basically, whatever airstrikes you define in "country data" only a sub-set of these actually appear when playing the scenario. This sub-set can sometimes be the empty set i.e. no strikes are available at all.

So the only way to get any airstrikes configured for a side is to define more than you really want and hope for the best ...

2) Trucks or "motor pool" doesn't seem to work.

There are actually two problems here as I see it.

First, units that have just appeared on the map via an OMA entry hex cannot have "truck" applied to them - the button is not there. This is a shame since this is exactly when you would most want to get those units moving fast.

Second and more seriously, applying "truck" to a unit does not have the expected results. For a start the OPs reduce drastically. Values of 0 and 4 were noted, with leg units having normal OPs of 30. Then, some units were completely unable to move along a road even where their now reduced OPs should have allowed them to.
Captain Cruft
Corporal
Corporal

Re: Problems encountered during scenario creation.

Postby JSS » Wed Jan 30, 2008 11:42 pm

Captain Cruft wrote:I realise there is no chance of a patch any time soon but thought it was still worth while logging these problems that I have come across while editing scenarios.

This is a really weird one, and there seems to be no pattern to it at all. Basically, whatever airstrikes you define in "country data" only a sub-set of these actually appear when playing the scenario. This sub-set can sometimes be the empty set i.e. no strikes are available at all.

So the only way to get any airstrikes configured for a side is to define more than you really want and hope for the best ...

You allocate the number of air strikes using "country data" (button #1) in the Country Data (button #10) Editor Section. Below "country data" (button #1) is "special attack" (button #2), this is where you put in the details of each type of air strike. If you've entered these in, let me know which scenario you're having problems with and I'll try to figure out why that's happenning.

First, units that have just appeared on the map via an OMA entry hex cannot have "truck" applied to them - the button is not there. This is a shame since this is exactly when you would most want to get those units moving fast.

Second and more seriously, applying "truck" to a unit does not have the expected results. For a start the OPs reduce drastically. Values of 0 and 4 were noted, with leg units having normal OPs of 30. Then, some units were completely unable to move along a road even where their now reduced OPs should have allowed them to.

There's several editor setting which must work simultaneously for a unit to move along a road/rail/amphibious... will refer to road movement below but all comment apply equally to rail & amphibious transport:

1) The road path must be continuous (i.e. a missing road hex in the map data will prevent movement beyond that point)

2) Country must have a truck transport distance setting specified.

3) Unit must be able to use truck transport.

4) Unit must arrive on a map hex which has a road going thru it (rail only or no road will result in the unit going nowhere)... I haven't used minor trail setting enough to recall how it reacts to truck transport off the top of my head.

Let me know if this helps.

Keep up the good work! The two projects you've posted look outstanding!

JSS
JSS
Site Admin

Re: Problems encountered during scenario creation.

Postby Captain Cruft » Thu Jan 31, 2008 12:23 am

JSS wrote:
Captain Cruft wrote:I realise there is no chance of a patch any time soon but thought it was still worth while logging these problems that I have come across while editing scenarios.

You allocate the number of air strikes using "country data" (button #1) in the Country Data (button #10) Editor Section. Below "country data" (button #1) is "special attack" (button #2), this is where you put in the details of each type of air strike. If you've entered these in, let me know which scenario you're having problems with and I'll try to figure out why that's happenning.

I defined and re-defined these parameters many times ...

The problem is in all the scenarios including the ones shipped with the game. Have a look at e.g. Novosorissk to see. Germany has 2 airstrikes defined for every single day but they either get 1 or 0 in game.

There's several editor setting which must work simultaneously for a unit to move along a road/rail/amphibious... will refer to road movement below but all comment apply equally to rail & amphibious transport:

1) The road path must be continuous (i.e. a missing road hex in the map data will prevent movement beyond that point)

Verified.

2) Country must have a truck transport distance setting specified.

What is that? The mysterious "Road" value in the country data screen? I did try fiddling with that and also left at default but it didn't seem to make much difference.

It would be nice to know what it actually means, the manual makes no sense.

3) Unit must be able to use truck transport.

Verified.

4) Unit must arrive on a map hex which has a road going thru it (rail only or no road will result in the unit going nowhere)... I haven't used minor trail setting enough to recall how it reacts to truck transport off the top of my head.

Verified.

Keep up the good work! The two projects you've posted look outstanding!

JSS

Thanks!
Captain Cruft
Corporal
Corporal

Postby Brubaker » Thu Jan 31, 2008 9:19 am

I believe (without the editor in front of me) that there are two settings for availability of interdiction/airstrikes - one affects chance of mission appearing for player to allocate, the other the chance of the mission being conducted after allocation. I think the former is simply a percentage chance designated by the designer and is therefore based on quality of the side, the latter is related to prevailing weather conditions.

Cheers
Brubaker
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Captain Cruft » Thu Jan 31, 2008 10:29 am

Yep that's it, testing confirms. The parameter is "Interdiction Rules (Air)" in the second Country Data screen, which is a percentage chance that any defined air strikes or interdictions will actually appear depending on the weather.

The problem was that I took the manual literally when it says that this relates to Air Interdiction only. There is no mention of Air Strikes.

I've also worked out the Truck thing too. Again in Country Data you define the "Road" parameter to be the number of wheeled OPs a unit gets when it goes into Truck mode. For some reason I was assuming that the leg OPs would just get converted to wheeled ones, and leaving "Road" at 0, which explains why the units didn't want to go anywhere.

You live and learn :)
Captain Cruft
Corporal
Corporal

Postby Brubaker » Thu Jan 31, 2008 8:25 pm

CC in regards to the manual, Chris Merchant has done an excellent job updating this document and it is currently being reviewed by Matrix for release. I think some of these small (but important) issues may be explained further in the latest addition. Meanwhile it is trial and error, and to quote the Axis History Forum: "Information not passed on is lost."
Brubaker
Colonel
Colonel

Return to Battlefront Scenario Design