Operation Nordwind for play-testing (H2H only)

Got an interesting idea about a new scenario design? ...or maybe you just need some help with the Scenario Editor; this is the place!

Moderators: AlexS, Run5 Staff, SSG Staff

Operation Nordwind for play-testing (H2H only)

Postby Captain Cruft » Sat Jan 26, 2008 6:15 am

Operation Nordwind

Well it's been a lot of work, and not a little frustrating at times, but I finally have a complete scenario. Now it simply remains to see how it plays ...

Please post comments on this thread. Criticism is welcome as long as it isn't just "this sucks" :wink:

This was mostly done as a learning exercise, so there may well be a few funnies. In particular the map is definitely not a work of art, but on the other hand it's pretty clear.

Just unzip the file into your Battlefront\Scenarios folder.

http://mattybuoy.net/Nordwind-1-1.zip (current version, released 7th Feb 2008)
http://mattybuoy.net/Nordwind-1-0.zip (previous version, released 25th Jan 2008)
Last edited by Captain Cruft on Fri Feb 08, 2008 5:27 am, edited 4 times in total.
Captain Cruft
Corporal
Corporal

Postby Bertram » Sun Jan 27, 2008 5:39 am

I tried it out, against myself. At first I thought the Germans had little chance, but it became rather interesting, even when playing fast en sloppy. Will try it out against a human opponent as soon as I have finished a few of my current games.
Bertram

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Bertram
Captain
Captain

Postby Captain Cruft » Sun Jan 27, 2008 6:46 am

Thanks for the feedback.

I didn't try to balance the forces by adjusting the attack/defense values. My plan is that any adjustments will be made to the VPs attached to locations.

However what I do not want to be possible is that the Germans can wipe the US off the map. Or vice versa ...
Captain Cruft
Corporal
Corporal

Postby Brubaker » Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:03 am

Hi CC

I haven't downloaded this as yet as I have only just seen this thread, but I just wanted to congratulate you on its release! You have done an excellent job in a relatively short period of time and it looks (judging by the screenshot) excellent. It is not an easy thing to get a scenario to this stage as you would have found out ;) Don't worry about the map. It is clear and concise and that is surely the overriding criteria. I can't wait to play. Well done.

Cheers

Brubaker
Brubaker
Colonel
Colonel

Re: Operation Nordwind for play-testing (H2H only)

Postby Noakesy » Tue Jan 29, 2008 5:53 pm

Captain Cruft wrote:Operation Nordwind Please post comments on this thread. Criticism is welcome as long as it isn't just "this sucks" :wink:

I've not had a chance to look at this yet, and my IT skills mean I'll probably make a hash of loading it, but as Brubaker has said you've turned this around really quickly. I only just about started to do the research for a scenario for BF quite a while back, and stalled due to shameful lack of time on my part, so I can appreciate you've had to do a lot of work here - well done. :D
Image ImageImage
Noakesy
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Doggie3 » Tue Jan 29, 2008 6:09 pm

DrommelX and I have started a game. We'll post feedback as the game progresses.

Thanks for putting it together.

Cheers
ImageImageImage
Doggie3
Major
Major

Postby Captain Cruft » Tue Jan 29, 2008 8:46 pm

Thanks guys. I'm not 100% sure about the forces and dispositions, but if it plays OK that's the main thing. If anyone can come up with better information I will do revisions.

My next effort will be on the Eastern Front, quite a lot bigger and done at the "correct" 1km scale. I intend to make some tools which allow editing via text file, which should speed things up quite considerably. The editor really slows you down ... This will take more than a week though ;)
Captain Cruft
Corporal
Corporal

Postby Brubaker » Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:47 am

CC is you can put together a text editor to mesh with the existing editor, I will personally fly over to your location and shake your hand :D I have ben wanting this for a long time but unfortunately do not have the skill to execute it. It certainly would make data entry and error checking MUCH simpler.

Cheers

Brubaker
Brubaker
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Captain Cruft » Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:07 pm

Well I haven't done it yet ...

All it would probably do is take a CSV file and blow it into a BFS file. So you could integrate with a spreadsheet. I'm not sure I am inspired to do it other than for the newunits file though, since it takes ages to work out which byte does what etc.
Captain Cruft
Corporal
Corporal

Postby Brubaker » Thu Jan 31, 2008 9:09 am

The newunits file is certainly the most cumbersome to deal with, so that alon would shorten workload. And it would be greatly appreciated.
Brubaker
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Joe » Thu Jan 31, 2008 8:55 pm

I play a turn and save it and exit the game.

Then start the game and try to load the saved game - crash to desktop.

I tried a game against myself.

In home made scenarios this is not the first time.

-
Joe
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Captain Cruft » Thu Jan 31, 2008 11:35 pm

It works OK for me, don't know what else to do really. Perhaps you could email me the save file?

My address is pbem (at) mattybuoy.net

I have Battlefront vs. 1.02 and am running on Windows XP.

The scenario does not depend on any files from any other scenarios.

Your Nordwind folder should look like this. Use View->Details in Explorer to see the file sizes.

Captain Cruft
Corporal
Corporal

Postby zanekin » Fri Feb 01, 2008 9:37 pm

Currently playing with DrommelX. Turn 2.

Nice work. It could make a good initiation scenario.

No bugs or problem yet...
It's just bullshit !
zanekin
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby Joe » Sat Feb 02, 2008 1:10 pm

Problem solved!

I had created a folder named Nordwind.

I extracted the files to that folder but in doing so another folder was automatically created named Norwind. This created a folder structure thus:

Battlefront/Scenarios/Nordwind/Nordwind

And was the cause of my problem.

As the map is small my suggestion is that 20 turns is too long. I would suggest 12 - 16 turns is about right.

-
Joe
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Doggie3 » Mon Feb 04, 2008 4:39 am

Same issue for me - incorrect folder structure was leading to a CTD.

All fixed and turn 2 on the way to DrommelX.

Cheers,
ImageImageImage
Doggie3
Major
Major

Next

Return to Battlefront Scenario Design