New Scenarios

Got an interesting idea about a new scenario design? ...or maybe you just need some help with the Scenario Editor; this is the place!

Moderators: AlexS, Run5 Staff, SSG Staff

New Scenarios

Postby captain general » Tue Sep 25, 2007 1:07 pm

I was just wondering if anyone had any updates on new scenarios. I know these take a lot of time but I hadn't heard anything in a while and was just curious. Thanks.
captain general
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby Strax » Fri Sep 28, 2007 7:03 pm

It's a bit sad that you've had no response in 3 days.

I suppose then that nobody is building any scenarios.

There seems to be a sad lack of interest in BF as a whole.
Strax
Major
Major

Postby Noakesy » Fri Sep 28, 2007 11:27 pm

Strax wrote:It's a bit sad that you've had no response in 3 days.
I suppose then that nobody is building any scenarios.
There seems to be a sad lack of interest in BF as a whole.

It does seem that way which is sad, given JSS was (I think) looking at a Normandy game for a while, and Runyan (again, I think) looking at a russki one. Hopefully Leo and Bru will get Kharkov 'officially' released so that IT halfwits like me can play it :D
Image ImageImage
Noakesy
Colonel
Colonel

Postby JSS » Sat Sep 29, 2007 7:27 pm

Well, another week where the cursed real world intruded on my prized gaming/Run5 time is complete. :twisted:

Yep, have two actively working and three I'd like to get at.
JSS
Site Admin

Postby captain general » Sun Sep 30, 2007 7:10 am

That's great news! Can you feel us in on what we can look forward to?
captain general
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby JSS » Mon Oct 01, 2007 8:10 am

Islands Campaign will be completed shortly.

Other projects being developed are Okinawa, Normandy, Stalingrad, and Tobruk 41.
JSS
Site Admin

Postby captain general » Mon Oct 01, 2007 8:42 am

Cool! Looking forward to them. Thanks for the quick reply.
captain general
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby Noakesy » Mon Oct 01, 2007 4:55 pm

JSS wrote:Islands Campaign will be completed shortly.

Other projects being developed are Okinawa, Normandy, Stalingrad, and Tobruk 41.

Fantastic - you must be a very busy man though :D
Image ImageImage
Noakesy
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Doggie3 » Mon Oct 01, 2007 5:30 pm

Once I have other distractions out of the way, I would like to take a look at a scenario for Operation Mars. I'm still waiting on Avalanche Press' Red God of War (board game of Operation Mars - they sent it to Australia rather than Russia, and now its been sent back to the US for onforwarding to Russia, and might make it to me by Christmas) and I'm reading Glanz's book on the same operation.

I think any of the sectors would make good BF gaming. On one hand you have overwhelming Russian forces taking on numerically inferior Germans, who have the advantage of terrain and defensive postions, with most of the battles occuring in terrible weather.

Can you, as the gamer, not fall into the same traps that the Russians did, or as the Germans, hold on under constant attack?

That's the theory anyway...

Cheers,
ImageImageImage
Doggie3
Major
Major

Postby Pascal » Tue Oct 30, 2007 4:23 pm

it seems like a difficult catch 22. it takes a huge amount of time & effort to build a scenario.

increasing numbers of people playing BF could increase the pool of potential scenario designers. but quite a few people seem to be holding off buying BF because of the lack of scenarios and/or a tutorial for beginners.

and SSG staff are too busy working on other things to develop more scenarios or provide more info on how the AI works.

not that i can really talk. i barely have enough time to play BF, let alone consider building a scenario.
Pascal
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Operation MARS

Postby dgruenbaum » Thu Nov 29, 2007 7:42 am

An excellent source for Order of Battle information and for the map of the Rzhev operation is the "Rzhev '42" game by HPS Simulations. the HPS Sims' "Panzer Campaigns" series game is very detailed, but since each turn represents 2 hours, and each hex is 1 KM, it is very time-consuming to play out the entire campaign.

i also looked at trying to do an Operation MARS scenario, using either The Operational Art of War system or trying to figure out the Decisive Battles of WWII system, but haven't gotten to doing it. i think that TOAW does not offer the same level of capabilities DBWII does, and neither seems to be as promising as Battlefront for doing the game. so i would like to see someone do Operation MARS on the Battlefront system.

one suggestion i would make would be to incorporate the Velikiye Luki operation into the scenario, with one variant being to shift the forces used at Velikiye Luki to be used in MARS. that would offer the player a fuller appreciation of the situation facing Marshal Zhukov in November, 1942.

good luck with this project if you pursue it.
dgruenbaum
New Recruit

Return to Battlefront Scenario Design