Using Battlefront for tactical games in the 1898-1930 time p

Got an interesting idea about a new scenario design? ...or maybe you just need some help with the Scenario Editor; this is the place!

Moderators: AlexS, Run5 Staff, SSG Staff

Using Battlefront for tactical games in the 1898-1930 time p

Postby IAN 1963 » Mon Jul 16, 2007 6:38 pm

Dear all

As a computer wargamer I have always been frustrated that there don't seem to be any games available to simulate tactical level combat during the Great War, and the conflicts preceding and following it such as the Russo Japanese war, Balkan wars, Russian civil war, and the Russo-Polish War of 1919-1920.

Of course I always understood that this was partly because the period was thought to have limited appeal, and therefore computer games manufacturers were unwilling to commit resources to something which was commercially probably not viable.

However, having purchased and had a good look at "Battlefront" I believe it will work very well as a games engine for creating scenarios covering just the scale and time period that I am interested in. In particular the unit portraits panels, offer the potential to create some really dramatic mood period unit graphics.

However, I have a problem although I have lots of information ORBAT’s TOE;s etc on the period, and can see that there is now very much more available over the net, I have no experience in playing scenarios with the "Battlefront" type games engine, let alone using what looks like a rather complex scenario design and creation process.

Of course I could put the hours in up front spending time getting to know the game system thoroughly, and then proceed step by step to work on scenario design. However, that would mean that many months if not years will be likely to pass before any scenarios saw the light of day.

Therefore, what I want to do, is while proceeding down the route of doing exactly that, also, design graphics resources files up front to cover the period and make these available over the Internet so that others with more experience in the scenario design, field get the chance to use these graphics to create scenarios rather earlier than I would.

Do people think this is a practical way of doing things, and would anybody be prepared to vet my graphics files to ensure that they will actually work with the game?

Many thanks
Ian
IAN 1963
New Recruit

Postby JSS » Mon Jul 16, 2007 9:45 pm

Ian,

Would be glad to look over your graphics and advise as needed. As you posted on Matrix, painting within the lines is key. The game engine uses the graphics based on pixal location... (x,y) coordinate system.

As you get close to a set we can also post them to the scenario download area as a scenario design kit.

JSS
JSS
Site Admin

Your offer of Help

Postby IAN 1963 » Tue Jul 17, 2007 1:00 am

Hi

Thank you very much, I'll take you up on that! Please see attached a sample unit graphics panel to give you an idea of the sort of thing I would like to do. At the moment, in terms of images, I'm planning to make use of the "Red Actions" DTP war grains graphics counter art as a starting point for my work.

However, I'm still waiting for permission from them to employ this so if its not given the final product may well look somewhat different. I'm also slightly uncomfortable about having modified the unit type symbol in the top right hand corner of the panel as I don’t know the implications of doing so ?

Many thanks
Ian
PS does the counter in the bottom left hand corner always have to be that size. What would be the implications of enlarging it if I kept the proportions the same and it did not expand outside its box ?
Attachments
Early Red Army Cavalry Squadren.zip
Early Red Army Cavalry Squadron
(5.99 KiB) Downloaded 743 times
IAN 1963
New Recruit

Re: Your offer of Help

Postby JSS » Thu Jul 19, 2007 9:38 pm

IAN 1963 wrote:
... I'm also slightly uncomfortable about having modified the unit type symbol in the top right hand corner of the panel as I don’t know the implications of doing so ?

No need to change it. I don't think it is used directly. I have never modified it... what I do to ensure there's no hidden problem is find a like base template (i.e. use same top right graphic that SSG uses for a horse cav unit).

...does the counter in the bottom left hand corner always have to be that size. What would be the implications of enlarging it if I kept the proportions the same and it did not expand outside its box ?

If you increase the NATO symbol on the main icon its ok as you describe above. Problem can arise if you want to use division symbol graphics. They show up in the top left corner (they can be made smaller, but then they're hard to see).

One admin note, your example is stretched (129x26 pixals... should be 128x26). If you stretch a graphic for your game file it can cause both poor look and hard to track down game crashes.
Current PBEM Games
1. Sealion (Air Parity) t11 out

JSS
Site Admin

Return to Battlefront Scenario Design