Programing the AI

Got an interesting idea about a new scenario design? ...or maybe you just need some help with the Scenario Editor; this is the place!

Moderators: AlexS, Run5 Staff, SSG Staff

Programing the AI

Postby cbelva » Thu Jun 21, 2007 8:42 am

I thought that SSG was going to release instructions on how to program the AI. To date I have seen nothing. Is this still in the works? Thanks
cbelva
Corporal
Corporal

Postby laska2k4 » Fri Jun 22, 2007 11:20 pm

:(
No hope, I posted a similar request three months ago, no answer

see http://ssg.com.au/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3674

so I stopped working on custom scenario.

max
max
laska2k4
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby Roger Keating » Sat Jun 23, 2007 9:09 am

The real problem here is that there is little time for members of SSG to take time off regular work and develop the material you would like.

For example, only myself and Ian have ever developed anything under this new AI so that we are the only ones you could really ask for advice. There are a number of testers who are developing their own scenarios and may also put AI into one, in which case the number of people who can answer questions, or write material, will double, if not expand considerably greater than that.

I can address simple questions so if you would like to post them here I will answer them. To expect a complete set of editor material, which would only be used by a few people, is just not high on our list of priorities. We must address the issues that will affect SSG's ongoing growth and development. That is, basically, addressing things that will make us money and increase the number playing our games.

It is easy to look at a single issue, such as this, and say we should treat it with a greater priority, but there are a large number of issues we deal with. I hope that this answer is satisfactory. If, of course, you would like to write such a manual I would be happy to co-operate and you can send me a private email and we can get started. I would probably suggest that to have completed one scenario on your own would be a good starting experience. Nothng complex, but just to get used to the system.
Roger Keating
SSG

Postby Treale » Sat Jun 23, 2007 11:16 am

So this means that "User" scenario's with an AI, probably will not happen!!!
Treale
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby Roger Keating » Sun Jun 24, 2007 9:25 am

It will, but please be patient with the learning curve required. Why do you think that there are so many PBEM only scenarios out there. People have jobs, families, hobbies etc. and it is a big effort to put in to learn, then implement, a useful AI.

Imagine spending every night for a month doing this then being told that 'is that the best you can do' or 'the AI really lacks something'. Encouragement is not a feature of the many forums I read, and it does discourage some from taking the leap.

I have made an offer of assistance to anyone who would like to enter this challenging arena, and even encouraged some to do it. We will just have to await the results.

But the simple fact is, I will not be writing a comprehensive manual for the AI for the one or two out there who can make use of it. If I did then the questions would still be there, as it is as much an art as a science, as and with an artist it is better to say what you think about a bit of created art rather than to write a manual about how to create a great piece of art.

I hope I am getting across the problems in this area ...
Roger Keating
SSG

Return to Battlefront Scenario Design